Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensitive Ears

Options
  • 14-06-2007 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi there. I have especially sensitive ears. When I was eleven, I got my lobes pierced, and passed out. In recent years, I have discovered they are an erogenous zone, and I am quite reluctant to pierce them some more. However, I am becoming quite infatuated with piercings. I am just wondering if anyone else is in this situation, and how they fared in their ear-piercing escapades. Thank you very much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Passing out during piercings isn't uncommon, and it doesn't necessarily mean you have sensitive ears. I've passed out twice, simply because I forgot to breathe without realising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

Gauge wrote:
    Passing out during piercings isn't uncommon, and it doesn't necessarily mean you have sensitive ears. I've passed out twice, simply because I forgot to breathe without realising it.

i forgot to breathe, i didnt pass out but i became dizzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LauraLeeConboy

I wouldnt worry about it first time I got my ears pierced they got really badly infected and had so much scar tissue it was painful. Now I have them stretched to 14mm and theyre fine! And the rest of my ears are covered in metal so I say get it done, you'll be fine just be careful and get it done properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Loads of people pass on on their first piercings doesn't mean they overly sensitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

yeah it could be any number of reasons but it doesnt mean you have sensitive ears,just remember to eat something first and remember to breathe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I got my ears pierced twice. The first time they both got infected - and they closed up. I did it again a few years after that and the same thing happened again. I wouldn't do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

that could be just bad luck,its happned me a few times but i would never decide to stop getting piercings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Sensitive ears... Right here goes. Being sensitive generally means you're allergic to nickle. And if you got your ears pierced in the likes of Claire's or anywhere that uses those studex thingys to pierce with, the likelyhood is that the earrings you were pierced with had nickle.

Get yourself down to a body piercers (As usual, I recommend Celestial Ring). If you explain the situation, your piercer would be able to recommend you a different type of jewellery material to pierce with, usually titanium for sensitive ears.

Hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yeah it could be any number of reasons but it doesnt mean you have sensitive ears,just remember to eat something first and remember to breathe

yep, definitely definitely make sure and eat beforehand... something sugary wont hurt either, ive passed out a coupla times, used to have some really messed up eating habits, but defo make sure you eat first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SplashBack

Hi there. I have especially sensitive ears. When I was eleven, I got my lobes pierced, and passed out. In recent years, I have discovered they are an erogenous zone, and I am quite reluctant to pierce them some more. However, I am becoming quite infatuated with piercings. I am just wondering if anyone else is in this situation, and how they fared in their ear-piercing escapades. Thank you very much.

Do you mean you have sensitive ears as in a metal allergy or as in when you had them pierced you passed out?

If you have sensitive ears, with a metal allergy then it's probably nickel, standard in any cheap earrings, even "nickel free" silver earrings can have traces in them. Surgical steel jewellery, titanium or as high a quality gold as you can lay your hands on should all be ok (as long as its a relatively mild nickel allergy the gold should be ok if you want pretty earrings in small gauges).

Contrary to popular belief, when pierced with studs the studs are usually surgical steel plated with 9ct gold so nickel doesn't usually play a role in an allergy here, often times you are allergic to contaminants in the gold apart from nickel (the level of these contaminants decreases the higher quality the gold is). Do not get a gun piercing, go to someone who knows how to handle a needle (I also recommend Celestial Ring). The "dangly" earrings in Claire's and other accessories places usually contain nickel, the best places to go for completely "nickel free" jewellery is a jewellers. Or you can go to a piercing studio and get either surgical steel (cheaper) or titanium (more expensive). Here in Ireland there isn't the same range as the "dangly" ones if thats the style you like but online you can usually find some nice stuff comepletely free of the common metal allergens but can be pricey.

If you mean sensitive as in you passed out getting them pierced. This is not a sensitive ear issue. Probable causes are: you were 11years old, apprehensive and possibly a little scared of what it would be like to get them done and you may have forgotten to breathe deeply thus causing light headedness and you passed out. You may not have eaten properly beforehand. Make sure you have eaten a good meal a short time before getting pierced especially if you feel nervous about passing out again etc. No need to eat anything too sugary as that will just give you a sudden sugar buzz and then a crash which you don't want while getting pierced (may sound silly but many people who are nervous OD on sugar a bit before the piercing and then crash just before or during the procedure which increases the risk of passing out) but do eat carbs and if you're really apprehensive then bring a drink like lucozade with you to sip between ears or after the piercing.

As for the erogenous zone part, google some information on placement etc. It is rare that the actual ear lobes are the erogenous zone though even though thats where the tingle often is. If you're unsure talk to your piercer and they will either put your mind at ease, advise you on placement etc.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement