Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Waiting before beeping your horn when lights go green

Options
  • 14-06-2007 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭

As it says above.

I was shopped at a set of right lights today and when the lights went green the van behind must have beep me in about a second to say the lights where green.

Is everyone in a rush somewhere that the car infront must be like F1 driver when the lights turn green.

How long do people wait before they give the car infront a beep?

Waiting before beeping your horn when lights go green 119 votes

.5 second or less
    0% 0 votes
    1 second
    4% 5 votes
    3 seconds
    0% 0 votes
    5 seconds
    27% 33 votes
    10 or more seconds
    47% 56 votes
    I don't
    16% 20 votes
    atari jaguar
    4% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

generally around 10 seconds i'd say, more if its a learner drive that might be struggling with something, anybody can miss the changing of the lights for a few seconds have done it myself, patience is a virtue :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

When you are sitting at a red light what else are you waiting for? Sometimes I think some people are waiting for a different shade of green.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It depends on what the driver is doing. If they seem to be unaware of the change I might beep them politely. If their obliviousness continues, I'll keep the hand firmly on the horn for a few seconds!

I wouldn't bother beeping someone who stalled or genuinely held up traffic.

However, with regard to how long to wait before I sound the horn - I guess it depends on the situation so I went with AJ!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'll give someone 3 seconds, then beep politely. If they haven't moved after 6-7 seconds they get a blast. If you're first at the lights, it's your responsibility to keep an eye on them IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If it's a driving school car, I will not beep. No matter how long it takes. If there's an L-plate on the car, I might beep gently if I'm under the impression that the driver isn't paying attention at all. If the driver is struggling / stalling, I will not beep

In all other cases I will beep within 1 second. Initially I'll just nudge it so it will produce the tiniest amount of noise. After another second or two, I'll let my very loud, annoying and aggressive BMW horn do its worst!

Voted atari jaguar as the other options are not flexible enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

i went for 5 seconds.

unkel, less than a second is unreasonable. by the time you've seen the light, pressed the clutch, pushed the thing into gear and started out towards the biting point, the last thing you want to hear is a beep as you try to move off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

You can usually see the head of the person in front of you, and if it's obvious that they're rooting in their bag or something, I'll give it a tap to let them know it's changed. I think you can tell from the length of the sound how a person feels. Give it three seconds more, and beep again.

I remember hearing an interesting definitiio, don't remember where though.

Nanosecond - the time between the light turning green, and the guy behind you pressing his horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

i went for 5 seconds.

Count to five, long time isn't it.

Before the light goes green, handbreak off(unless on a hill, not always), proper gear engaged, foot on the clutch(bitepoint is optional), accelerator feathered.

I'm actually watching the other lights to go red, so I'm ready to go ASAP.

TBH, if you waiting at a set of traffic lights, your waiting for them to go green, nothing else. There should be no hold up.

Different set of rules for learners, or people who look like they have made a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

wet-paint wrote:

Nanosecond - the time between the light turning green, and the guy behind you pressing his horn.

That's what they call a New York second. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Depends n the situation - if the person in front is blatantly chatting to someone or on the phone, then 2 seconds is enough, if however, it's a learner or old folk, then I'm happy to let my patience shine through. I don't like to throw my horn about too much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I won't beep a learner driver, everyone else unless they've stalled gets a couple of seconds only, they've a bed for sleeping in so buck 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

Usually never beep as never really in a rush in the car. If I was, I'd take the bike, and well... wouldnt get stuck behind anyone ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ghupta Yahd

I give a short tap of the horn .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

No need to beep. That's why cars have bumpers! :D

But seriously, I only beep if the driver has nodded off or is otherwise not paying attention. At many lights you may have a left turn filter which some drivers stop too far forward to see. These get a full blast from me, even if I'm not second in line. So, if you're too polite to beep the guy in front coz he hasn't seen the filter green then that guy behind beeping may be me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

kbannon wrote:
    It depends on what the driver is doing. If they seem to be unaware of the change I might beep them politely. If their obliviousness continues, I'll keep the hand firmly on the horn for a few seconds!

I wouldn't bother beeping someone who stalled or genuinely held up traffic.

However, with regard to how long to wait before I sound the horn - I guess it depends on the situation so I went with AJ!

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Bond-007 wrote:
    That's what they call a New York second. :D

I thought it was a New York minute?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ned78 wrote:
    I thought it was a New York minute?
    ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I went for three seconds. But the same as everyone else, I'm only going to beep if they seem oblivious to the lights. Beeping someone who has stalled isn't going to make them go any faster (quite the opposite in fact, learners tend to panic at that point).

I also see huge difference between blasting someone out of it, and giving a short bip on the horn. In 99% of situations, the former is completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

I won't beep a learner driver, everyone else unless they've stalled gets a couple of seconds only, they've a bed for sleeping in so buck 'em.

I won't beep learners IF THEY RE ACCOMPANIED, if they just can't drive they should not be on the road unaccompanied. If you can't drop a clutch you should not be on the road.

that said i only give a short beep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Marginally OT, but there are a couple of junctions where it pays not to move off quickly, or even wait for a second.

The M50 northbound exit to Blanchardstown is a prime example. For some reason lots of cars going westbound along the N3 seem to break the lights when exiting the roundabout over the M50, and because of the position of the slip road from the M50 it's difficult to see them coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I would generally only beep if i got the impression the driver was snoozing or not paying attention (and a short courtesy beep , not a angry blast) just to get em on the ball again.

If it was a Learner who was having difficulty I would leave them at it, beeping is so stupid as it only stresses them out more (i feel so sorry for them)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've voted 5 seconds, that's how long I'd give someone that clearly wasn't paying attention, but only ever the slightest touch, which is always enough. If they appeared to be making an effort to move off but were having difficulty, i.e. a learner, elderly person or someone driving an unfamiliar car, then I won't beep as it serves no positive purpose, at best its an annoyance to everybody within earshot and at worst it will panic the driver that's having difficulty and slow things further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm on a motorbike so if I'm second in line and they stall, I don't beep

I just overtake them :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

unkel, less than a second is unreasonable. by the time you've seen the light, pressed the clutch, pushed the thing into gear and started out towards the biting point, the last thing you want to hear is a beep as you try to move off.

I'm with neuromancer on this one. People should be ready for take off by the time the light turns green, particularly the first car in the queue. It is their duty to other road users. However I should have elaborated. If I see them moving inside the car (i.e. pushing into gear, etc.) I'll give them a bit longer. The one second was when I see them doing nothing / reading the paper / talking on the phone, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Fine if its a junction where you're very familiar with the sequence of traffic & pedestrian lights. If not, then the only lights you should be concerned about are the ones in front of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Papergirl 1

Well if its obvious that the driver is hasnt noticed that the light is green, I'll give them a quick beep to alert them to the situation. Although I did this last week and the person nearly went crazy! Started shaking their fist at me and shaking their head! What the heck were they waiting for....a written invition from the green light or what!!? And the light only lasts a few seconds at that particular junction, so time is everything!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd like to give a long (about an hour:D ), hard blast on a 130 db airhorn right into the ear of the person who is responsible for programming the traffic lights.

WHY IS THERE NO ORANGE PHASE?

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

It would give everybody time to get into gear and release the handbrake and actually get going once its green.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Count to five, long time isn't it.

Before the light goes green, handbreak off(unless on a hill, not always), proper gear engaged, foot on the clutch(bitepoint is optional), accelerator feathered.

TBH, if you waiting at a set of traffic lights, your waiting for them to go green, nothing else. There should be no hold up.

Different set of rules for learners, or people who look like they have made a mistake.

It's fair enough being ready to take off as you see green... but all this checking lights on the other side and knowing when yours are going to turn is all well and good... but it can be dangerous to be too ready and taking off straight away, as there could be someone who'll break the lights or a pedestrian taking a chance etc.

I put down that I don't beep at lights... because that would be me generally. I don't like it if someone does it to me. But at a push I'd say 5 seconds. But would use the horn in that way very rarely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

between 5-10 depending on my mood or how late I am :D

I would only give a gentle beep, not lean on the horn.

Wouldn't do it to a learner who obviously looks like they've stalled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Papergirl 1

peasant wrote:

WHY IS THERE NO ORANGE PHASE?

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

It would give everybody time to get into gear and release the handbrake and actually get going once its green.

Yeah like up north, its the best thing ever, gives people time to wake the fook up and get ready to move!

Advertisement