Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constituency Commission

Options
  • 14-06-2007 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭

Not very well noticed, but a Constituency Commission has been appointed to review Dáil and European constiuencies. It is to report by November and is currently accepting submissions.

http://www.constituency-commission.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Victor wrote:
    Not very well noticed, but a Constituency Commission has been appointed to review Dáil and European constiuencies. It is to report by November and is currently accepting submissions.

http://www.constituency-commission.ie/

Was well noticed by the recent court judgemet. This, by the court reccomendations won't be allowed next time. It is recommended that when there's preliminary census figures a group will be set up to implement them as there wasn't significant differences last time. When the final figures are relaeased it would take very little to implemet them.

Can't wait for the opposition to say we didn't have enough time to prepare for it though. You can't win

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Seanies32 wrote:
    Can't wait for the opposition to say we didn't have enough time to prepare for it though. You can't win
    Kindly explain that. It was the government dragging its feet.

I just did some maths on the European constiuencies, either you end up with

(a) Reducing Dublin from 4 to 3 seats (i.e. all constituencies have 3 seats), resulting in substantial variations in the population per MEP in the order of 6-17% (there are precedents for 10% in European constituencies), but 17% is half a seat in a three-seater.
    (b) Reducing the number of constituencies from 4 to 3 (either 4:4:4 or 5:4:3) creating a rump 5-seat "East" constituency including Dublin. This gets the variation down to 1-2%.

Of course, the figures will have shifted by the time of the 2009 elections.

Submissions for the Dail constituencies closed last week. You can see them here: http://www.constituency-commission.ie/submissions.htm

Leitrim has discovered spam. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

obviously not victor :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Victor wrote:
    I can see there being 'war' over this.
    There is in Limerick, it hit the local papers in the past few days. Having said that, in the local paper of record, the Limerick leader, it got page 2 and for comparison in priority I got a story about a recent students' union action in UL put at the top of page 3 so the war is currently only warming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Theres a pattern of trying to get rid of all 5 seaters if possible as far as I can see. Benefits FF, and a lesser extent FG if the whole country had 3 seaters, and small parties get squeezed.

Agree with you Victor. There should be 3 Euro constituencies; 5:4:3 seats, East:South:West/Rest, or a 4:4:4. Dublins going to be very underrepesented as a 3 seater.

Advertisement