Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird or normal? speedtest

Options
  • 14-06-2007 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

Not really a broadband issue more lack of,I'm on dial up no other option. So decided to run speedtest.net never bothered before most of the time it shows my upload speed way above download, as in 35kb/s down 70kb/s up is this normal or not,I always thought upload was always lower than down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only on ADSL, Satellite, Cable. That speeds is not abnormal.

ISDN, sDsl, Leased line, Dialup*, FWA wireless, WiFi and fibre all often give same speed up and down.

Normal Internet usage needs more dowload speed than upload, so by sacrificing upload speed the download is faster.

*1200 / 75 baud Prestel used similar dialup technology to two way 300 baud modems. Again to make it more conumber friendly the 300 down --> 1200 and 300 up --> 75.

For just Typing and mousing about 33bps (40Baud) is fine.

Advertisement