Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N95 and the internet

• 14-06-2007 1:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭

Hey just wondering, does it cost anything to go on the internet on the N95 on meteor?

and if not, does this basically mean that you could just log onto the meteor site and send free txt messages????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Ace2007 wrote:
    Hey just wondering, does it cost anything to go on the internet on the N95 on meteor?

and if not, does this basically mean that you could just log onto the meteor site and send free txt messages????

yes, costs a bomb ;)

unless of course you have wi-fi at home or in work, in which case it's free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

right not really up to date with wi-fi?
    is this basically a wireless internet connection? - which im using for my laptop??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Ace2007 wrote:
    it costs 2c per kilo byte. in other words, it costs a lot.
    Ace2007 wrote:
    you don't have to do that. use AFT
    Ace2007 wrote:
    right not really up to date with wi-fi?
    is this basically a wireless internet connection? - which im using for my laptop??
    wi-fi is what you get from wireless routers. it lets you go on the internet anywhere in your own house. some businesses have wi-fi zones too like starbucks and the airport

yeah, basically stay away from using any meteor network connection or any other provider for that matter.

The n95 is a superfast phone that displays the 'real' internet. So 1 page could download in 10 seconds, but it might be 1 megabyte in size which costs about €5 with meteor prepray :)

i got charge €8 for opening 3 pages with o2 :rolleyes:

wi-fi is the only way to go. Yes, wi-fi is the thing that laptops use to connect wirelessly to the internet.

Think of the n95 as a laptop and you can browse the net the same as you would with any laptop.

mc donalds, airports, hotels etc.. usually have free wi-fi or 'hot spots' so the n95 can take advantage of this :)

But connect with meteor to open ANY page, and you're going to be screwed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭vodkasoda

smemon wrote:
    But connect with meteor to open ANY page, and you're going to be screwed :p

I couldn't agree more, as mentioned in my recent post, it's absolute daylight robbery :mad: !!!

• Advertisement

what about bein a pay as you go customer.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Ace2007 wrote:
    what about bein a pay as you go customer.....

What about it? You're still going to get robbed. Afaik meteor don't have a 3G service, so you have to use the GSM data services which are extremely expensive, since that's not what they where really designed for. Switch to a network that has 3G coverage if you want to use the net on the go.

Ok i've got a wireless at home but its securitey enabaled connection, i.e have to have codes etc, which i have- can the N95 automatically pick up these? or can i log in the details, or does it have to be an "open" wireless network, like in the airport, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

The real internet? Can it play youtube vids/daily motion vids etc?

Ace2007 wrote:
    Ok i've got a wireless at home but its securitey enabaled connection, i.e have to have codes etc, which i have- can the N95 automatically pick up these? or can i log in the details, or does it have to be an "open" wireless network, like in the airport, etc?

I'm pretty certain it has WEP and WPA encrytion, so the wireless network wouldn't have to be open. The other lads on here know more about how well this works.

Arathorn; I'm pretty sure it has html support if thats what you mean by "real" internet. That said I can't find anything in the specification to back that belief up. As for you tube, all it would need would be a flash player. I've no idea if one comes as standard.

• Advertisement

yes, you can access 'security enabled' networks, you just key in the passwords as you would connecting a laptop for the first time.

for example, my wi-fi is password protected. when connecting the n95 for the first time i had to enter my pass word. It auto-connects after that if you want it to.

the 'real' internet i was referring to is standard html, but you can download all sorts of plugins/apps to do various things. Youtube have a beta edition for mobiles like the n95, so yes, you can view videos - all be it a limited few chosen by youtube, but that will expand in time.

Mobile internet browsing on any network on any price plan is a rip off. Unless you HAVE TO, don't do it. I shudder to think what costs a billpay customer could run up by opening up a few sites and checking email etc..

At least with prepay it'll cut you off once you're balance runs out.

bump

Is there a question that hasn't been answered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Meteor do have dat packages but the only one worth getting is the 10gb "Unlimited" one. I see some web pages load in at half a meg alone which would eat up the 25mb allowance package in no time.

Meteor does have edge everywhere though which is quite fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

just on my n95 and have been sending messages. sent them as emails from my gmail account (not going onto the internet to do this, just from messages) and have sent a few now and my balance is still the same. do seem to be getting charged for this. any ideas why?......not that im complaining of course! :D

Advertisement