Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line problem or Internal wiring problem?

Options
  • 14-06-2007 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

About a week and a half ago our telephone line stopped working , when you pick up the phone there is no dial tone, the phone still rings but you can't hear anything when you pick it up. However our DSL connection is still working. We had broadband installed about 3 years ago by Eircom and at the time they installed a wall mounted filter into which we plug the PC and the telephone side was looped (possibly incorrect term) to all the other points in the house. We never placed filters on the other telephone points and haven't had any issues up until now.

We've since switched to BT and they told me that its a problem with the filter and not a line issue. So I went out and purchased a new filter and connected it to the broadband connector on the wall mounted filter and even then I don't get a dial tone , but I'm wondering if this is even a valid test?

We had an electrician out at the house on unrelated work and he had a look , he said he couldn't get a voltage reading on the line as it entered the house so I'm not sure still whether its our problem or an actual line issue.

Anyone got any thoughts or able to recommend someone on the northside to take a look?

Thanks,

M

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This happens all the time, the problem is the voice jumper within the exchange (a loose wire in there ) OR ELSE the filter in your house. Your setup, while a bit odd should be ok although filters can go. You should replace the eircom filter entirely , of course you got no dialtone from the dsl end of the filter as you are not supposed to ...ever.

Its most likely the voice jumper in the exchange as you tested the other suspect for voltage , routine eircom fault report to 1901 and let them fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

Sponge Bob wrote:
    This happens all the time, the problem is the voice jumper within the exchange (a loose wire in there ) OR ELSE the filter in your house. Your setup, while a bit odd should be ok although filters can go. You should replace the eircom filter entirely , of course you got no dialtone from the dsl end of the filter as you are not supposed to ...ever.

Its most likely the voice jumper in the exchange as you tested the other suspect for voltage , routine eircom fault report to 1901 and let them fix it.

Thanks Spongebob I'll follow it up with them...

M

Advertisement