Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House - New Sloping Garden

Options
  • 14-06-2007 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

All,

I have a just bought a new house and have a good size garden at the back.

However it sloops away down to the left about .5m and right to a dept of approx 1.5 m.

The dimensions are approx 12m W * 8m D

Any ideas on what to do with the space?

Would like to get a big trampolene for the kids but cannot due to slope.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I would suggest either filling it, or creating different levels seperated by wall(s), decking, sleepers etc and encorporating flower beds into the parts where you have dividers. I've seen some pretty dramatic slopes in gardens taken care of by sectioning off different areas of a garden with slopes. Have a look as some garden design books - they should show you some techniques to deal with this. This is all the more achievable if your garden is large.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

is the slope just caused by excess/lack of soil in some parts or is that what the general land area is like...

I would consider trying to level it out a bit.
    some slope/gently bumps are fine and more natural looking but 1.5 metre drop is a bit extreme!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

How about a Deck? ..... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I'm in a similar situation although the incline isn't so steep and my garden, in comparison to my neighbour, is wider than deeper and as the slope runs vertically the space is not so bad.

Your garden dimensions sound roughly the same as my neighbours in reverse though and she solved the issue by levelling out 4/5 square meters (to a lower point) as a lawn and leaving the higher areas for planting. (trees and bedding)
    The previous owner had attempted to deal with it by concreting most of the space and it took a bit of work jacking it all out. It looks great now and is fairly functional too.

We both have a 7ft wide path running the length of the house so patio space wasn't an issue. If its a family friendly garden you looking for I'd go with this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Forget the trampoline and go for a pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭joxers25

Thanks all,

am gonna go for split level via sleepers,

grass on top, and a kiddies playhouse on the lower level with access from top level. also some planting on the lower level - sunny patch - getting the kids to plant some veg.

Is it too late for veg - carrots, spuds, greens?

waiting on a quote from a landscaper for leveling work.

thanks again,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

its too late for some veg but not others. Best bet is to go look at seeds in Woodies, and the back of the packs will tell you what you can still sow and what you can't. Good luck with it - the kids will love the vegetable growing !

Advertisement