Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade options?

Options
  • 14-06-2007 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi all,

I’m thinking of upgrading my system at the mo, and was looking for some opinions on what path to take.

I’m looking for a boost in gaming performance.

My current set up is

EpoxEP-9NPA sli skt 939 motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz
    PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB Kit
    2 x 6800gs (sli)
    19” widescreen 1440x900

The question is what would be the best option?

Just get another gb of ram

Get an 8800gts

Stick with skt 939 and go for an Opteron,

Bite the bullet and get an E6600 kit. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=312032

Combination of the above.

What I’m unsure about is that the return on all but the kit would be a false economy, for example if I were to get the 8800gts would the processor be a bottle neck?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

First off. the cpu would be a bit of the bottleneck, depending if you do or dont overclock the cpu. I have a opty 170 @ 2.85ghz and a 8800gtx, And in many games my performance ids not far behind a c2d setup. If you want to do the upgrade on the cheap you could get another gb of ram a opty and a 8800gts.

But it is a dead upgrade path, As the ram, mobo and cpu will be useless for you as AMD have killed off socket 939.

The best option if you can afford it is to buy that kit, and get a 8800gts.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

Yeah that was my biggest concern about keeping the skt 939. But would the 3700+ result in a major bottleneck if I bought the 8800gts, I mean would it cripple the 8800gts beyond reason and i would only see a marginal improvement over my current set up.

Advertisement