Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What The F#%&* is the problem!!!

Options
  • 14-06-2007 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Hey , Can anybody please help??

I have been experiencing a weird problem with Eircom broadband since last week, and since then I have not bothered with my internet at home because it was annoying me so much.

I was wondering if any of you here have experienced this or may be able to help or troubleshoot.

Basically when i siwtch everything on , my computer recognises the wireless connection. It says...

Eircom Broadband
    Signal: Excellent
    Speed: 54.00mbps

But when I try to open a window (google on homepage) sometime it wil open up in a flash and then the next page i try open up ... it will say "connecting to" or "waiting" and eventually "server not found".

Fair enough..

I close the window , and re open a new one ... and it does the same "waiting" for my google homepage and then "server not found"

So I close this , I open up a new window again ...google connects perfectly again , i visit about 3 websites just to test it and then the the whole waiting and trying to connect and evetually server error appears again. - the whole time the connection being "excellent" and "connected"

I tried switching off & on and beating the heck out of the router in anger but no Joy! :(

Can anybody help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Broadman

What type of router do you have?
    I have one of the new eircom netopia routers (With the two ariels on the back)
    I also get this issue. Try getting your hands on one of the older routers and see if you can reproduce the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Plug directly into the modem using an ethernet cable instead of wireless and see if you still get the problem. It may be a wireless problem rather than an internet connection problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Hey thanks lads,

Its an old type of netopia wireless router with 1 wireless antenna on the side!

And I have tried plugging into the Router directly eith cable and same problem persists!

....I also trying to connect to msn messenger and it didnt connect , so it gave me the option to truoble shoot and did a connection check?

I think it failed on DNS and PLUG INS if that makes sense.

Im really no good at these things.

so u reckon its more than liekly a problem with the box itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Narrowback

C_Breeze wrote:
    Hey thanks lads,

Its an old type of netopia wireless router with 1 wireless antenna on the side!

And I have tried plugging into the Router directly eith cable and same problem persists!

....I also trying to connect to msn messenger and it didnt connect , so it gave me the option to truoble shoot and did a connection check?

I think it failed on DNS and PLUG INS if that makes sense.

Im really no good at these things.

so u reckon its more than liekly a problem with the box itself?
    I don't know your router and I'm definitely no expert, so take what I say in full knowledge that I can only offer limited help. However, I've struggled with these things over the past four years or so and I've learned a few things.

Have you tried logging in to your router? I don't know much about yours, but I can log in to my router to see if it's connected (does it have an IP address, etc.).

Eircom would probably tell you to reset your modem, which may help, but I doubt it. But, since you seem to have some doubts about your router, you could try that. Usually there's a little hole where you have to stick in a pencil or a pin or something to trigger a reset. This will eliminate all the settings you may have, such as any security etc., so you should first see if you can back up your settings.

Also, have you tried using PING and TRACERT (from the command line) to see if you can connect to any routers or servers outside your house? That MIGHT tell you something about whether the problem is in your house or between you and Eircom. MIGHT.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

No, it could be one of thousands of problems.

Can you access your modems webpage, 192.168.1.254 <--put that address into your browser. There you will see the control panel for your modem. There will be some information there regarding your DSL connection. keep this page open while you are browsing, when you cant reach a webpage, see what has changed on this page.

Also, when you cant connect to the webpage, on your modem there is a little LEDs what are the conditions of these.

Dave_W

• Advertisement

I have tried to reset the router with a needle but still the same problem persists.

Would Ericom send out a technician and if its faulty replace it free? or can i just go down to PC world and just buy a new one and plug it in? (or would it need installing & programming?)

Bah its doin my head in. Thanks for all your help

C_Breeze wrote:
    I have tried to reset the router with a needle but still the same problem persists.

Would Ericom send out a technician and if its faulty replace it free? or can i just go down to PC world and just buy a new one and plug it in? (or would it need installing & programming?)

Bah its doin my head in. Thanks for all your help
    I don't use Eircom, so I don't know how they work. I do know that going to buy a new router will not make you feel better if the problem is elsewhere.

I have a back-up DSL modem that I use when I have a problem. If I get no signal with my router (Netgear) or the modem then I know the problem is not with my equipment. Routers do break, it's true, but have you asked Eircom to check that all is well at the exchange, etc.?

I'm assuming you haven't messed up any of your settings or whatever, right?

Also, did you log-in to the router to see if you could find anything? Xennon's advice above sounds good to me.

It is probably not your routers fault. Disconnect everthing but the router from the phone line, especially the skybox.

The reason you computer is saying that everything is fine is that its reporting on the connection it has to your modem, not to Eircom. Your computer connects to the modem which in turn connects to Eircom via phone line.

put 192.168.1.254 into your browser and you will see a page that displays the condition of your modem. This will report any faults that your modem will be having.

Dave_W

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes it would be very helpful for anyone trying to help you if you could establish whether or not the basic connection is working as it should. As the other posters have suggested please please go to your routers start page: http;//192.168.1.254 and tell us what it says. That really is the only way people can begin to have an idea of what might be wrong.

Have you checked your pc for viruses spyware etc etc?

my mate logged in and reset the modem from there. it seems to be running fine now.
    that seems to have resovled the problem.
    thanks for all your help.

• Advertisement

Sometimes it actually is possible to have sympathy for isps!:)

He logged in as mentioned on the ip address router and reset it and is working fine for the moment. I still dont trust it though heheh.

dub45: LOL!

dub45 wrote:
    Sometimes it actually is possible to have sympathy for isps!:)
    That is pretty funny.

However, I have sympathy for C_Breeze. I've been there and had to learn as I went along. I also know people who are just totally overwhelmed by some of this technology and are intimidated by screens full of numbers and terms they don't recognize.

I'm often called on to help people who are just not comfortable with technology and I never forget that I was there once myself. Even though I think we're still far away from it, I keep waiting for the day when using a PC and a network connection is as straight-forward as using a television and a cable t.v. connection.

Narrowback wrote:
    That is pretty funny.

However, I have sympathy for C_Breeze. I've been there and had to learn as I went along. I also know people who are just totally overwhelmed by some of this technology and are intimidated by screens full of numbers and terms they don't recognize.

I'm often called on to help people who are just not comfortable with technology and I never forget that I was there once myself. Even though I think we're still far away from it, I keep waiting for the day when using a PC and a network connection is as straight-forward as using a television and a cable t.v. connection.

I agree with what you say but a good start is to take any advice given particularly when you have asked for it in the first place! How many times was logging in to the router suggested?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tutorial

DNS stands for "Don't Know ...Sorry"

should I mention opendns at this point ???

dub45 wrote:
    I agree with what you say but a good start is to take any advice given particularly when you have asked for it in the first place! How many times was logging in to the router suggested?
    I know, it's what makes this - distant, anonymous assistance - so difficult. I've been on the phone with friends and family and I'm telling them what to do, but they're frozen like deer in the headlights. It's worse when the advice comes over a board if you're afraid. Some people are just too afraid to do things even when they're certain the information & advice is good.

I can remember how I was literally shaking when I was following someone's instructions to change my bios in an effort to fix a problem. I didn't know the person giving the advice and I was worried I'd never be able to start the machine again. Eventually I found the courage to make the change and my problem was fixed and all was fine. But, for 40 minutes or so, I was just staring at the bios and seeing nothing but disaster no matter what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

Sponge Bob wrote:

should I mention opendns at this point ???

I tried using OpenDNS for a while with NTL but ended up having more problems than with NTL.

Advertisement