Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.243 Pros & Cons

Options
  • 14-06-2007 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

just doing a little research into different cals,would apperciate advise on
    the .243 cal, price of rounds,good rifles,what range,also target shooting,want
    an all rounder vermint,deer,target, any views on a rem 700 in 243

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

.243 is a fine round but to be honest if I was getting one rifle to do it all it would be

6.5x55, accurate round, heavy enough to take big deer.

second on the list of do it all rifles would be the .243

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics/default.aspx

use this website to do re-search into any round you can even compare them against each other

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have just bought a Browning A-bolt in .243, I always had a soft spot for this round no appreciable recoil makes target work a pleasure.
    There is a wide variety of projectile weights from 55gr to 100gr and therefore it can be used from fox up to deer, In Australia it is the most popular calibre by some distance.
    It is basically a necked down .308 and as such if reloading becomes popular it should be easy and cheap to obtain brass for reloading
    .243 win is an excellent performer in windy conditions that shoots very flat.
    I think it is a perfect cartridge for the type of shooting we have here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Yup a fine cartridge for Irish conditions.Am getting one meself
    Derided by many as a "hairdressers round".It is well capable of dropping anything we have here.
    And if you are of small statue,you wont have much trouble with recoil.
    Also another advantage is;if semi rifles become available here,but are restricted on the "military calibre"BS.
    243 uppers are made for the AR15 style rifles,and SIG actually made a 243 semi rifle for the Swiss army.
    In fact the US army was considering dumping the 223 and going to 243 a couple of years ago,due to the 223 poor performance in Iraq and Ghanistan.Politics and money won out.:(
    Easy to reload as well, you can custom load from everything from a wabbit round to a deer killer.
    Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 claybuster

Vegeta wrote:
    .243 is a fine round but to be honest if I was getting one rifle to do it all it would be

6.5x55, accurate round, heavy enough to take big deer.

second on the list of do it all rifles would be the .243

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics/default.aspx

use this website to do re-search into any round you can even compare them against each other
    love the 6.5x55 uncle has one for deer the only thing that puts me off is
    bullet weight variety where 243 has a good variety for what I would need,

Yup a fine cartridge for Irish conditions.Am getting one meself
    Derided by many as a "hairdressers round".It is well capable of dropping anything we have here.
    And if you are of small statue,you wont have much trouble with recoil.
    Also another advantage is;if semi rifles become available here,but are restricted on the "military calibre"BS.
    243 uppers are made for the AR15 style rifles,and SIG actually made a 243 semi rifle for the Swiss army.
    In fact the US army was considering dumping the 223 and going to 243 a couple of years ago,due to the 223 poor performance in Iraq and Ghanistan.Politics and money won out.:(
    Easy to reload as well, you can custom load from everything from a wabbit round to a deer killer.
    Go for it.
    any reconmendations on which rifle I was thinking a remmy 700 they seem
    to be very easy to customise,jewell trigger, stocks etc,what twist would
    suit 243?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Depends on your budget tbh and what you expect to get out of it.

If it was me id get an old sako short action and rebarrel it which is not going to cost you alot and will give you a very fine rifle but thats me.

Rem 700 are good if you want to customise if your not
    Tikka t3's are v popular
    Sako 75's are even better
    Steyrs
    Cz's

list is endless

Imo scope a decent scope is more important most rifles are capable of moa putting the bullet there is what counts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

243 sucks for targets due to cost if you don't reload, commercial ammo is expensive as FMJ seems impossible to locate here. I changed to a .308 and things got a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

claybuster wrote:
    what twist would
    suit 243?

Depends on the bullet length and in a lesser way weight. So If you were using it for mainly deer you'd have longer heavy bullets so a fast twist rate would suit.

It really depends what you are going to shoot with it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

claybuster wrote:
    ,what twist would
    suit 243?
    1 in 10 would be the best compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

A 1 in 8 twist barrel would be exellent for long range target shooting stablising up to 105g bullets like the lapua scenars and bergers and would also double up as a great vermin controll piece of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

If it was me id get an old sako short action and rebarrel it which is not going to cost you alot and will give you a very fine rifle but thats me.

Tikka t3's are v popular
    Steyrs
    Cz's

list is endless

Imo scope a decent scope is more important most rifles are capable of moa putting the bullet there is what counts

How much is not a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

well i never really looked into it just what i pick up from other forums something around the 1000 mark depends on what sort of barrel you buy and what price you pay for the action

Tikka t3's are v popular
    Steyrs
    Cz's

list is endless

hope to spend about 1200/1400euro on the rifle have a good zeiss scope
    already

Advertisement