Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom modems usable on other BT providers?

Options
  • 14-06-2007 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

My Zyxel prestige modem seems to have given up the ghost.. power lights are not coming on when I switch the modem on. My belkin wireless router has given up the ghost as well about a week ago..

A mate has a spare eircom modem with wireless : a Netopia 2247NWG. I can plug this in and the DSL light comes on and the pc detects a connection but the internet light stays red (not sure if this is the default colour?) as I've no manuals etc.

Can I use this eircom modem to connect to a BT account? If so what do I need to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It will work fine.
    Type http://192.168.1.254 into your browser to access the Netopia config pages. Then in the left hand menu click Expert Mode-->Configure-->Connection. On the main page delete the existing username/password and enter your BT username/password. Scroll down and change 'Connection type' to 'Always on'. Leave all other settings on that page as-is. Then at the bottom click 'Save Changes', then click restart when asked.
    Your internet light will go green.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

kaizer ur a legend :) I'll try this as soon as I get home tonight. I didn't get any support docs or cd with this .. that won't affect anything I'm guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

manti452 wrote:
    kaizer ur a legend :) I'll try this as soon as I get home tonight. I didn't get any support docs or cd with this .. that won't affect anything I'm guessing?
    No install of any software is needed for ethernet.

BTW, the above instructions probably won't work over a wireless connection. You'll have to connect to the router with a cable to do the initial setup.

Advertisement