Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegans... Breast Milk Cheese?

Options
  • 14-06-2007 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Assuming the breast milk donor consented - would you eat cheese made from human breast milk? or butter? or just drink the milk itself?

I think there would be a market for that.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

...:eek:
    Its ethical - what's the problem? Personally I'd be up for trying some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Actually, you can't really make cheese from breast milk. Doesn't have enough protein or something. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

if i was a vegan ethics would not be the problem i would have in eating it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Did you get that idea from watching Borat? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

anyone know the going rate for a wet nurse ?

it could be very expensive cheese

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_milk_banking_in_North_America
    The HMBANA Guidelines stipulate that donors not be paid for their milk. However, collection, processing and distribution of milk are expensive, and recipients are charged $3.00-$4.50 per ounce of milk to cover some of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

gawd! what a terrible idea!!! the whole thing with being vegan is the milk of the animal is for the animal's young. surely it's the same; human breast milk is meant to give the baby all the nutrients it needs, NOT an adult!!!!! yuk!

i thought the whole vegan thing was that the animal didn't and couldn't give consent for its milf to be taken etc.

I really don't see what the problem is, seems to be an ethical and potentially delicious food stuff.

http://membres.lycos.fr/petitsingly/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    i thought the whole vegan thing was that the animal didn't and couldn't give consent for its milf to be taken etc.

as far as i'm concerned, it's living without animals.
    straight from the vegan society website; "The Vegan Society provides advice on a way of living free of animal products". there ya go!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

By definition, they wouldn't be vegan using the milk of a human. Some people have that as a reason for being a vegan reactor, not as a definition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

:eek:

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I think there would be a market for that.

Maybe, but it would be a very small market making the milk very, very expensive. You'd also have to find enough women willing to be milked on a regular basis to keep any such business a stable and profitable one.

What a fantastic typo ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

"The Vegan Society provides advice on a way of living free of animal products". there ya go!!!

Yes, which is what we are!

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Its ethical - what's the problem? Personally I'd be up for trying some.

Trying some? As in giving donating your breast milk?

Myth wrote:
    Trying some? As in giving donating your breast milk?

?? I don't follow.

The question I asked was: "would you eat cheese made from human breast milk? or butter? or just drink the milk itself?"

Then I said :"Personally I'd be up for trying some."

Where's the confusion?

I assumed Vegan's actually had a moral objection to eating animal products, based on logic (ie the animal can't consent, we are taking advantage etc). In this scenario, no one would be hurt, everyone would consent etc, yet no one seems keen. It doesn't make any sense to me. Unless you are choosing this diet not based on the ethics, but rather for a different reason (which I don't care to speculate on).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

After a quick Google, it seems theres a market out there for breast milk after all.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=eye_on_health&id=4151268

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2007-04-10/levenson-breastmilkfetish

But as for cheese....

This woman tried to make cheese from hers but could not. Breast milk cannot curdle because the protein content is lower, and because the protein in breast milk is more easily digested compared to cow's milk.

http://www.indrani.net/index.php?q=2006/03/breast_milk_cheese

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/01/30/1043804416757.html
    a restaurant in China is serving dishes cooked with human breast milk farmed from mothers living in rural areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

What about afterbirth as a protein filled vegetarian alternative?

Advertisement