Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding up when being overtaken

Options
  • 14-06-2007 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

last night I was driving to Killarney... on a wide stretch of road there was a car in front of me, a van, and another car. The speed limit being 100km, the car at the very front was doing about 75km. The car directly in front, a Primera, overtook the van and the car. Checking that it was clear, i overtook the van with ease and then when i reached the car, the b!tch started speeding up, and she continued to speed up. It seemed like forever, she just wouldnt let me overtake, at one stage she beeped her horn at me, and then what came in the other direction?? yep, traffic!! i really panicked.. but because mine is more powerful than her car i slipped back in just in time.... it really scared the crap outta me... learner driver experience i suppose!

why do people do this???

ohh btw, it wasnt like she was a girl racer, she was a middle aged woman in a saloon... it may have been a Mazda 626

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ah some people applied to the Gardai but were rejected for being too short she must have been one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Hmmm... Maybe she has a rare medical condition which means seh has to be at the front of the traffic at all times or else she'll die... Or maybe it's jsut a serious case of the "I own the road and can do what I want" syndrome that afflicts a lot of Irish drivers...

I've come across it myself, it's ridiculous, pointless and dangerous. Sometimes feels like that person is trying to teach you a lesson for trying to overtake or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I remember reading once that broad-shouldered people are more likely to do this. Apparently, the area which you subconsciously percieve to be your 'personal space' is directly related to your size. When this area is infringed upon, people can get ratty. It's just something I read, but it's an interesting one to watch out for.

On a more practical level, all overtaking should be conducted at full throttle. There are a million and one things that can go wrong while overtaking, you really want to get it done and over with as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Yeah, I have come accross that lots and lots of times. Middle aged men in big saloons usually. Its the "I'm not letting this f*cker in front of me" attitude. They are the same ones who wont merge in traffic, the velcro themselves to the car in front and beep at anyone trying to merge properly. Younger male drivers and modified car owners seem to be the best, they always know how to merge and act when being overtaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

P.I.T Manuever FTW!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thats crazy, whats crazier is that had their been an accident it would have been you at fault.
    Remember the foreign driver months ago? He was overtaking a car and then the other car would not let him and kept speeding up and he ended up hitting oncomming traffic. He was arrested for dangerous driving.

If you came in behind her you should have taken her reg details and called the garda when you could. Nothing would be done i would assume but maybe they might just call around and explain it to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

This really does bug the s*it out of me too... They are the same people that will slow down to 50km/h on a bend and back up to 100 (over the 80 limit) on a straight stretch! I'm not giving out about them driving over the limit but the fact that it makes it impossible to overtake.

I was driving on a rural road a couple of days ago and got stuck behind a tractor with a huge trailer. Was impossible to see past him, this guy was slowing down to 30km/h going up a hill (heavy load) and I simply thought it was dangerous. I think about 2/3 cars got past him but everyone else was stuck.

Moral of story: please pull in and let us pass you !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I come across this regularly on the M1 and that other carry-on ; a car who deliberately speeds up in the overtaking lane because you look like you are about to move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its a reportable offense. Classified as dangerous driving. It wasnt until she beeped though, it proves it was being done maliciously.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Seinas wrote:
    ohh btw, it wasnt like she was a girl racer, she was a middle aged woman in a saloon... it may have been a Mazda 626

Ah yes,

The demographic that never let you out and demand to be up front. Probably the most inconsiderate group of road users after boy racers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Seinas wrote:
    last night I was driving to Killarney... on a wide stretch of road there was a car in front of me, a van, and another car. The speed limit being 100km, the car at the very front was doing about 75km. The car directly in front, a Primera, overtook the van and the car. Checking that it was clear, i overtook the van with ease and then when i reached the car, the b!tch started speeding up, and she continued to speed up. It seemed like forever, she just wouldnt let me overtake, at one stage she beeped her horn at me, and then what came in the other direction?? yep, traffic!! i really panicked.. but because mine is more powerful than her car i slipped back in just in time.... it really scared the crap outta me... learner driver experience i suppose!

why do people do this???

I think its great when that happens

I love it when you are regularly overtaking and then try to speed up in an "ill show you who's who" type of manner, then i just drop a gear and im gooone ... along with a flipping of the bird out the window at their pittyfull attempt at being cool.

If your gonna try do that to inconvenience me and try and prove how great and macho you are please at least get your self something more powerfull than a 1.4 corrola :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Jumpy wrote:
    Its a reportable offense. Classified as dangerous driving. It wasnt until she beeped though, it proves it was being done maliciously.

True, unfortunately, unless you have an independant witness, its their word against yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

gyppo wrote:
    True, unfortunately, unless you have an independant witness, its their word against yours.

Which is sufficient for a warning from Trafficwatch. Pointless taking it to court, but the Gardai will follow up and caution. I have done this recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

lightening wrote:
    They are the same ones who wont merge in traffic, the velcro themselves to the car in front and beep at anyone trying to merge properly.

Mad your right! they are the same ones. That type of merging is called the zip system in germany. Come to ireland and its called the I'ill push in front of you system.

C_Breeze wrote:
    then i just drop a gear and im gooone ...

What do you drive?

C_Breeze wrote:

I love it when you are regularly overtaking and then try to speed up in an "ill show you who's who" type of manner, then i just drop a gear and im gooone ... along with a flipping of the bird out the window at their pittyfull attempt at being cool.

If your gonna try do that to inconvenience me and try and prove how great and macho you are please at least get your self something more powerfull than a 1.4 corrola :D
    Why would you need to drop a gear mid-maneouvre? If you were overtaking correctly, you would already be in the correct gear for maximum acceleration.

lightening wrote:
    What do you drive?
    A Hot Air Turbo S.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

is_that_so wrote:
    I come across this regularly on the M1 and that other carry-on ; a car who deliberately speeds up in the overtaking lane because you look like you are about to move out.

And despite being about a mile behind you in the overtaking lane, still flash you with the kind of finger flicking action that you only develop from long frustrated nights of masturbation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

That bugs me no end - I dont see why some people cant let others out when they would onviously be going faster than them.

I remember when I was in school, we would always have to overtake a lad who was doing 40mph (until he saw a car behind him) - then he would shoot up to 60 mh :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

This and people who pull into the overtaking/climbing lane but do under the limit are 2 of my pet peeves while driving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 CarrickD

lightening wrote:
    Yeah, I have come accross that lots and lots of times. Middle aged men in big saloons usually. Its the "I'm not letting this f*cker in front of me" attitude. They are the same ones who wont merge in traffic, the velcro themselves to the car in front and beep at anyone trying to merge properly. Younger male drivers and modified car owners seem to be the best, they always know how to merge and act when being overtaken.

I've seen this a lot in the last couple of years especially, but in my case 9 out of ten times it is a 25 year+ woman behind the wheel. I was begining to think that they never use mirrors, wear blinkers, or something, but now I think its a bit more malicious than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

C_Breeze wrote:

Says the macho guy flipping the bird in his big car :D

Interestingly, I remember seeing a guy do exactly as you describe on the N7 a few years ago. Flipping the bird to the car he had just overtaken. Then the guy who had been overtaken suddenly started flashing blue lights and a siren began wailing :D Unmarked car. Brilliant. The look on Mr "Flip the bird" face as I passed him by when he pulled in was classic. Wasn't you C Breeze was it?

When did giving the finger become "flipping the bird" in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Yes, this is risky if one is stuck behind someone for a while and so travelling at similar speeds, before making an overtaking manoeuvre, without getting a run at same. Overtaking in a petrol engined car, can result in real danger if the speeder upper is in a turbo-diesel and decides to make life difficult. It is infantile and persons concerned deserve a good telling off, and so hopefully cop themselves on.

What pi$$es me off most is those types in a shopping centre car park who try and block you from passing by (albeit because it is a one-way lane and you have been forced that way by some inconsiderates parking angle) even though you could get two buses through it easily. Live and let live !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

lightening wrote:

Oh that really boils my blood when people do that, WHY!!!!!!????? :mad:

Anan1, I dont see how i should be at maximum accleration and hockey my car to overtake somebody when I feel i can do it just as safely in 4th gear at 4000rpm as oppsoed to 3rd gear 8000rpm

Renual , no that wasnt me , but funny story nonetheless.

Edit: why would he have stuck his finger out of the window to the uknown guards if they werent trying to speed up or play games as he was overtaking?? .."flipping the bird" as you are overatkingwhile unprovoked is just stupid imo

I wouldnt do that, unless the person i was trying to overtake tries to be smart and speed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Something similar happened to me on the M50 recently. I was trying to move out onto the overtaking lane. I had plenty of room and I had my indicator on earlier. I slowly moved out but as soon as my tyres touched the middle of the road the car behind (already on overtaking lane) increased their speed which forced me to move back into the lane.

When the car came up beside up this middle-aged woman gave me the dirtiest look. It was like "How dare you try and skip the queue" attitude!

I hate to sound sexist but this kind of behaviour seems to come from women more so than men!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

py2006 wrote:
    Something similar happened to me on the M50 recently. I was trying to move out onto the overtaking lane. I had plenty of room and I had my indicator on earlier. I slowly moved out but as soon as my tyres touched the middle of the road the car behind (already on overtaking lane) increased their speed which forced me to move back into the lane.

When the car came up beside up this middle-aged woman gave me the dirtiest look. It was like "How dare you try and skip the queue" attitude!

I hate to sound sexist but this kind of behaviour seems to come from women more so than men!

Your not it is true. If there is traffic backed up most women drivers won't let you out. My gf won't let anyone out. Most don't tbh. They generally don't drive as fast so cause less accidents. I am not of the opinion of either sex is "better" drivers but if slower is better which it is in most cases then they are.

Now getting bac to the overtaking. I am going to the Cork Waterford game on Sunday and like every other game I go to there will be trails of traffic 40 - 50 cars long and you get these fools that still pass out. What is the point there. All cars are traveling at 60 and there are 15-20 cars in front of you. You gonna gain nothing because you are not going to be able to pass all of them out and chances are there is another q of cars in front of them. I just dont understand it. Fair enough if there is open road 4 or 5 cars ahead and the front car is doing a bit less than the speed limit.

If you drive in the UK and come to a busy junction it will be every 2nd car from each side that goes. That never happens here. There is no politeness on the road and I am sorry to say that women are the worst ofenders to that just like men are the worst at excessive speeding. Total generalization but that is from my experiences.

C_Breeze wrote:
    Oh that really boils my blood when people do that, WHY!!!!!!????? :mad:

Regarding the "not letting people merge" thing, they honestly think you are "skipping the Q" they learned to drive when there was no traffic, no roundabouts and have had company cars.

I have an uncle who geuninely will not let anyone get in front of him. He is a nice enough fella, but in a car he has no manners and is really badly road educated, if a car tries to pull out from a road in front of him, he will speed up and sound the horn and flash the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

C_Breeze wrote:

You'd be better off keeping both your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

lightening wrote:
    Regarding the "not letting people merge" thing, they honestly think you are "skipping the Q" they learned to drive when there was no traffic, no roundabouts and have had company cars.

I have an uncle who geuninely will not let anyone get in front of him. He is a nice enough fella, but in a car he has no manners and is really badly road educated, if a car tries to pull out from a road in front of him, he will speed up and sound the horn and flash the lights.

Like my father he probably just went down and bought a licience instead of passing a test. not that the test teaches you any road manners.

Advertisement