Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding up when being overtaken

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

py2006 wrote:
    Something similar happened to me on the M50 recently.!
    Did you not know that the M50 isnt covered by the law. Its jungle law there matey. dog eat dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

rom wrote:
    not that the test teaches you any road manners.

True, but a retest would teach them about merging and the like...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

C_Breeze wrote:
    Anan1, I dont see how i should be at maximum accleration and hockey my car to overtake somebody when I feel i can do it just as safely in 4th gear at 4000rpm as oppsoed to 3rd gear 8000rpm.
    Firstly, 4000rpm in 4th does not equate to 8000rpm in 3rd at the same speed on any road car I have ever heard of.

Secondly, overtaking is by its very nature dangerous. It should therefore be concluded as swiftly as possible, in order to minimise time spent on the wrong side of the road. Needless to say, this does not mean floating past in the wrong gear, gesturing obscenely at the drivers of other cars.

To be honest, i'm finding it hard to square your ignorance of the basics of either overtaking or apparently even manual gearboxes with your professed expertise as a driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

py2006 wrote:
    Something similar happened to me on the M50 recently. I was trying to move out onto the overtaking lane. I had plenty of room and I had my indicator on earlier. I slowly moved out but as soon as my tyres touched the middle of the road the car behind (already on overtaking lane) increased their speed which forced me to move back into the lane.

When the car came up beside up this middle-aged woman gave me the dirtiest look. It was like "How dare you try and skip the queue" attitude!

I hate to sound sexist but this kind of behaviour seems to come from women more so than men!

Pulled out in front of a woman about 2 months ago soon after entering the motorway on the southern part of the M50 where the road is good and the traffic tends to be easy. She went mad flashing her lights and beeping. I overtook the cars I wanted to overtake anyway and left her miles behind as she was only doing about 90kph I reckon. Some time later there was a queue for my exit, so I was stuck in the sliproad for 2 to 3 mins. I saw her coming up in my rear mirror with a van up her ass (still in the overtaking lane). She saw me and again started hammering on her horn and mouthing off at me. Van driver must have thought she was insane :)

Stark wrote:
    Pulled out in front of a woman about 2 months ago soon after entering the motorway on the southern part of the M50 where the road is good and the traffic tends to be easy. She went mad flashing her lights and beeping. I overtook the cars I wanted to overtake anyway and left her miles behind as she was only doing about 90kph I reckon. Some time later there was a queue for my exit, so I was stuck in the sliproad for 2 to 3 mins. I saw her coming up in my rear mirror with a van up her ass (still in the overtaking lane). She saw me and again started hammering on her horn. Van driver must have thought she was insane :)
    I often wonder when I see things like that how they would explain themselves to a Guard if they were pulled.

• Advertisement

rom wrote:
    Like my father he probably just went down and bought a licience instead of passing a test. not that the test teaches you any road manners.

My father was asked what licence he wanted. He said 'give me the lot'. I am not joking. Then again where I am from we all learnt how to drive without tax insurance or licences. And I dont need the list of complants about this, its just the way this country was. Things have changed for the better here. Both of these situations are no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

DDS

Dozy Driver Syndrome

1) trundle along regardless, oblivious to the queue of traffic behind you
    2) finally get overtaken by someone
    3) realise that you could go just that little bit faster yourself
    4) accelerate without paying any further attention to your surroundings
    5) continue in oblivion
    6) finally realise the soemeone else is trying to overtake you when they appear next to you
    7) muster self righteous rage, how dare he overtake, aren't you near the limit?
    8) throw menacing glance
    9) beep horn
    10) continue to trundle along regardless, continously losing speed until the whole thing starts again.

dodgyme wrote:
    My father was asked what licence he wanted. He said 'give me the lot'. I am not joking. Then again where I am from we all learnt how to drive without tax insurance or licences. And I dont need the list of complants about this, its just the way this country was. Things have changed for the better here. Both of these situations are no longer.
    My father learnt to drive in a friend's Beetle. The friend explained which pedal did what, etc. My father then drove around and around St Stephens Green until he got it right.

Anan1 wrote:
    My father learnt to drive in a friend's Beetle. The friend explained which pedal did what, etc. My father then drove around and around St Stephens Green until he got it right.
    that very funny, but typical. I remember always being careful driving since if anything happened the car, my father would kill me for not being more careful until I could drive properly! and got a licence and insurance etc.?? Its a wonder our generation turned out as well as we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Anan1 wrote:

:D like to see him trying it today !!

Was the same with my dad ... he got a job at 16 driving a van delivering groceries around his area. He had no van and didn't know how to drive.

They gave him a van and left him to figure it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

:D like to see him trying it today !!

The hard part is getting off that loop round St. Stephen's Green ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Anan1 wrote:
    Firstly, 4000rpm in 4th does not equate to 8000rpm in 3rd at the same speed on any road car I have ever heard of.

Secondly, overtaking is by its very nature dangerous. It should therefore be concluded as swiftly as possible, in order to minimise time spent on the wrong side of the road. Needless to say, this does not mean floating past in the wrong gear, gesturing obscenely at the drivers of other cars.

To be honest, i'm finding it hard to square your ignorance of the basics of either overtaking or apparently even manual gearboxes with your professed expertise as a driver.

you dont like me , do you :(

C_Breeze wrote:
    you dont like me , do you :(
    For all I know, you could be the nicest guy in the world. It's not you, it's your posts.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

I hate those f**kers, i drive to galway and mayo from dublin at least once a month. Especialy on the way to mayo some of the roads are windy and you get much chance to overtake. A couple of months ago i was driving down and came to a stright stretch same maybe 1.5 km long and the car on front, a bora 1.6 was doing about 80 which was fine while the roads were bendy, but when the road straightened up SHE didnt speed up so i pulled out and hit the gas, i pretty much went by her... and had indicated and began pulling in when she accelerated which made me hit the gas to get a ahead, then she proceeded to try and overtake me, i have a 1.8 so i pretty much kept ahead of her all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

I hate those f**kers, i drive to galway and mayo from dublin at least once a month. Especialy on the way to mayo some of the roads are windy and you get much chance to overtake. A couple of months ago i was driving down and came to a stright stretch same maybe 1.5 km long and the car on front, a bora 1.6 was doing about 80 which was fine while the roads were bendy, but when the road straightened up SHE didnt speed up so i pulled out and hit the gas, i pretty much went by her... and had indicated and began pulling in when she accelerated which made me hit the gas to get a ahead, then she proceeded to try and overtake me, i have a 1.8 so i pretty much kept ahead of her all the way

rofl, so you sped up to stop her overtaking back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I don't think i've ever laughed so much reading these posts. Absoloutely hilarous

Anywhays, I was driving from Limerick to Dublin last Monday. I t was about 8pm on the M7 going thru Kildare. I was moving on about 110km. Not much traffic on the road so i remember overtaking a 96/97 dark mondeo. about 5 minutes later i saw this dark car coming at speed on the overtaking lane. i was thinking his is a sports car or the cops. It was yer man in the Mondeo doing about 150km (a guess). i was thinking dam hes in a rush all of a sudden.

So i maintain the speed hat im doin and i come accross the Mondeo again doin about 90km. i overtake him again and guess what he drives up again doin abot 150km.

This occurs anout 5 times before we get to the end of the M7

What was he at doin 90km for so long and then stupid speeds of 150km.?

On my way down the day after as i was coming off the M7 before Mountrath i think. I was about toovertake a car. I saw the sign that said MOTORWAY End 2KM
    As i was about to pass the car the ****er pulled over in front of me. My ****in heart nearly jumped out. You couldn't believe my the fright i got.:eek:

So i stood on the brakes and had to swerve into the left. i actually had to undertake the ****er to get past him. i Know that wasn't the best decision of my life.

Then the ****er beeps and flashes his lights at me. Wtf

Man that M7 can be scary :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

dodgyme wrote:

My father the same. Now he drives a bus part time

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Anan1 wrote:

Does he not very obviously mean he would normally overtake at 4000 revs in 4th gear but then if he wanted to accelerate much harder as the person is speeding up while he is trying to overtake them go down to third where the car would then be at 8000 revs and therfore have more power? That is what i got from it, seesm to me you are the one who does not know how a gearbox works though maybe i misunderstood something?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

rowanh wrote:
    Does he not very obviously mean he would normally overtake at 4000 revs in 4th gear but then if he wanted to accelerate much harder as the person is speeding up while he is trying to overtake them go down to third where the car would then be at 8000 revs and therfore have more power? That is what i got from it, seesm to me you are the one who does not know how a gearbox works though maybe i misunderstood something?

I think he may have picked the 8000rpm figure out of his head... Which is surprising, seeing as he's a self-proclaimed expert when it comes to driving. I'd imagine there's not so much of a difference between his 3rd and 4th gears that would allow double the engine speed, and that if his engine was even capable of 8000 RPM, it'd be well past its peak power by then...

I think he may have picked the 8000rpm figure out of his head... Which is surprising, seeing as he's a self-proclaimed expert when it comes to driving. I'd imagine there's not so much of a difference between his 3rd and 4th gears that would allow double the engine speed, and that if his engine was even capable of 8000 RPM, it'd be well past its peak power by then...

Cheeky Punk.

1 Yes you are correct, i did pick 8000rpm out of my head, to emphasise the fact that why should i have to drop a gear and have my revs fly up significantly (It will not rise to 8000rpm from downshifting at 4000rpm but that was just to emphasise my revs shooting up and working the nuts out of my engine when i feel there is no need for it, it would perhaps rise to circa 6000rpm though) when my maneouvre is perfectly safe until the other twat starts accelerating!

2 my car revs well past 8000RPM (DOHC VTEC) and no it will not be way past its peak power by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

seeing as he's a self-proclaimed expert when it comes to driving.

I read recently in a survey of Irish men around 95 percent believed they are above average drivers.

C_Breeze wrote:
    1 Yes you are correct, i did pick 8000rpm out of my head, to emphasise the fact that why should i have to drop a gear and have my revs fly up significantly (It will not rise to 8000rpm from downshifting at 4000rpm but that was just to emphasise my revs shooting up and working the nuts out of my engine when i feel there is no need for it, it would perhaps rise to circa 6000rpm though) when my maneouvre is perfectly safe until the other twat starts accelerating!
    Even without the other driver accelerating, the wrong side of the road is still a dangerous place to be. In the interests of safety, you want to overtake and get back in as quickly as possible. 4000rpm in 4th in a Civic VTi will not give you maximum acceleration, is therefore the wrong gear for overtaking, and is consequently not 'perfectly safe'.

C_Breeze wrote:
    2 my car revs well past 8000RPM (DOHC VTEC) and no it will not be way past its peak power by then.

Ah, yes, nice engines them... And to be honest I'm surprised with myself that I didn't automatically assume you'd be driving a car like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

rowanh wrote:
    I read recently in a survey of Irish men around 95 percent believed they are above average drivers.
    I assume the other 5% assumed themselves to be well above average? :D

rowanh wrote:

Hmmm... Maybe the other 5% of the drivers are so shockingly bad that it brings the average way down, meaning that 95% are actually above average ;):D Surprised it's that high, but I would expect a high number alright...

Anan1 wrote:
    Even without the other driver accelerating, the wrong side of the road is still a dangerous place to be. In the interests of safety, you want to overtake and get back in as quickly as possible. 4000rpm in 4th in a Civic VTi will not give you maximum acceleration, is therefore the wrong gear for overtaking, and is consequently not 'perfectly safe'.

Well its all relative really , it will not be a "perfectly safe maneouvre" as it is not optimizing the full power of the car im driving yet it could be a well safer maneouvre as for example a lower powered car that is optimizing all 75horses under its bonnet! you get me.

... but why should i rev the nuts out of it if I fell that i shoudlnt as its safe- until the other driver begins to act the B%&*#x

C_Breeze wrote:
    it will not be a "perfectly safe maneouvre" as it is not optimizing the full power of the car im driving
    C_Breeze wrote:
    ... but why should i rev the nuts out of it if I fell that i shoudlnt as its safe- until the other driver begins to act the B%&*#x
    Read your first quote, it answers your second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Vegeta wrote:
    This and people who pull into the overtaking/climbing lane but do under the limit are 2 of my pet peeves while driving

You have a problem with people who pull into the climbing lane when they are going below the limit? :confused:

Where do you want all the trucks/caravans etc to drive then?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Wossack wrote:
    rofl, so you sped up to stop her overtaking back?

Nope i sped up to stop me having to overtake her again and her speeding up:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

C_Breeze wrote:
    i feel there is no need for it, it would perhaps rise to circa 6000rpm though) when my maneouvre is perfectly safe until the other twat starts accelerating!

Think about it like this. Had you used maximum acceleration from the start of the overtaking maneuver, you would have had so much headstart that the "other twat" probably would not have been able to keep up with you. Thus it is less likely the problem would have arisen in the first place

And what Anan1 said. The safest way to overtake is to spent the least amount of time on the wrong side of the road. This can only be accomplished if maximum acceleration is applied until the overtaking maneuver has been completed

Simple!

Advertisement