Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding up when being overtaken

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

TheNog wrote:
    I was driving home from wor... good story ... I left him and his mate standing outside a petrol station that was closing in half an hours time with a big smile on my face. He fully deserved it.

I would never make it home if I was a gard sometimes!

The incident described is more or les exactly what happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

TheNog wrote:
    Once again I calmly waited for him to fill his diesel tank, pay for it and when he walking back to his van, i approached him, showed him my Garda badge and seized his van.

Legend. Surprised you didn't slap him with a dangerous driving charge to top things off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

TheNog wrote:
    I calmly waited for him to fill his diesel tank, pay for it and when he walking back to his van, i approached him, showed him my Garda badge and seized his van

I like your style :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

If you see anything really dangerous on the road such as I experienced above and the many more, don't be afraid to dial 999. Give the reg, make and model of the car to the garda station ahead of you. Sometimes the guards will not make it out but that is only cos they are busy tending to other things which are more important or the district car may be too far away to intercept . I realise this may seem bad but believe it or not we have to prioritise the calls we get. If there is risk of injury or death then these are high priority and sometimes we do get a few of them a day.
    Also give them your name and phone number so they can call you back if the patrol car is available to intercept and the station needs a general location on the vehicle driving dangerously.

Sometimes you will be disappointed that a patrol car didn't come out but most times I did it before joining the guards they sent were able to stop the vehicle. In a couple of cases the drivers were drunk and arrested on the stop.

For a conviction on dangerous driving there must be 2 or more witnesses so everyone who sees dangerous driving should ring the station ahead and make statements and it will be brought to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Stark wrote:
    Legend. Surprised you didn't slap him with a dangerous driving charge to top things off though.

Could have arrested him for dangerous driving but i thought why should I. He would have been brought to the station and kept nice and warm for a couple of hours until his lift to arrived. Let him and his mate stand there in the wintry cold evening instead or walk the three miles to Virginia.

Feck them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Anan1 wrote:
    You and I both know this, cpoh1 doesn't appear to.

For the benefit of those of you who don't know, the integrale is a rally car not a track car. Might I suggest you try driving one? To suggest that an integrale is not a proper performance car is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

cpoh1 - My mention of my cars and the IAM course was made simply in answer to this: Not that it matters much, given that you genuinely believe me to be lying about my daily driver.;)

With regard to the maximum acceleration whilst overtaking thing, I have made my point and have no interest in repeating myself ad nauseum.

Jees pal get off your high horse, an audi a8 is not a serious performance car and neither is the integrale, really pedigree or not. My point stands on the matter.

Now im going to step out of this and stop interfering with the original thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

says what lightening?

what_car wrote:
    i was driving up the N1 a few mths back in the fast lane in traffic doing the speed limit

That just about says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Anan1 wrote:
    What speed were you doing when this happened?
    The same speed as the person in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

GreeBo wrote:
    The same speed as the person in front of me.
    And what speed was that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

GreeBo wrote:
    Just as annoying as the person speeding up when you overtake is the person who overtakes you and pulls in forcing you to pull back.
    If there is no space then you shouldnt force your way in.

I would say to that person if you are not planning on overtaking then you should leave suffient space for those behind to do so.

Funxy wrote:
    I would say to that person if you are not planning on overtaking then you should leave suffient space for those behind to do so.
    This is why I was asking GreeBo how fast he/she was going. At 20km/h, there might quite reasonably not have been enough room between GreeBo and the car in front for an overtaker to safely pull in. At 80km/h, though...

what_car wrote:
    says what lightening?

Your post originally told us how you were driving in the "fast" lane doing the speed limit and not pulling in to the "slow" lane to let people pass, forcing people in to the "slow" lane to pass you.

That's a silly thing to do, I see you realise this and you have edited your post to the quote above.

it happens at all speeds and frequently on the motorway.
    Someone in the overtaking lane decides to stop overtaking and pull in forcing the car it just overtook to slow down to create a safe gap.

GreeBo wrote:
    it happens at all speeds and frequently on the motorway.
    Someone in the overtaking lane decides to stop overtaking and pull in forcing the car it just overtook to slow down to create a safe gap.
    Do you mean that they pull in just in front of you even though there is enough room in front of you to pull in safely? Or that there is not enough room between you and the car in front of you for them to pull in safely?

Anan1 wrote:
    Do you mean that they pull in just in front of you even though there is enough room in front of you to pull in safely? Or that there is not enough room between you and the car in front of you for them to pull in safely?
    Both actually.
    Plenty of people pull in when they clearly cannot see my car in their rear view mirror but have decided that they are far enough past me.

If I am keeping 2 seconds between myself and the car in front in the driving lane then I dont expect someone in the overtaking lane to pull into that gap and force me to pull back.

Advertisement