Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External HDs: Maxtor vs. LaCie: Operation?

• 14-06-2007 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭

I have been using a Maxtor external HD for the last couple of years.

It has what they call 'One Touch' operation whereby you configure it to copy the contents of a specified folder on your PCs hard drive by pressing a button on the Maxtor unit itself. This activates the copying process. The software quickly scans the folder and 'sees' what it has already copied in the past. It then copies 'only' the new files. Usually, this takes a few minutes. Smart and slick!

Needing a new external HD I have just purchased a LaCie 500Gb. I bought it because it said 'One Click backup software included' on the box. I assumed that this would be similar in operation to the Maxtor software.

However, unless I have configured it incorrectly, it appears that this software simply copies the entire(!) contents of the designated folder each time and not simply the new files.

Needless to say, I have heard zip back from LaCie's Support line.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Is there a workround?

Is there third party software I could download that would make the LaCie do the same as the Maxtor?

Many thanks.

D.

Advertisement