Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC not pickin up my USB key

• 14-06-2007 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me please?
    My computer is not picking up my usb key anymore. it worked fine last week but now theres nothing!
    when i stick it in the usb port it used to pop up sayin new device installed or whatever that message was but not anymore and when i go into my computer theres no removable drive there... but when i click on Safely Remove Hardware from my taskbar it shows my usb key there on the F drive
    Ive also tried using Run from the start menu but it just says... "this file does not have a program associated with it for permitting this action.Create an association in the Folder Options control panel"

Also i used the key last nite on my laptop and home pc so nothing wrong with the usb key.

is there anything else i can try?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Try this.

Right click on My Computer on the desktop. Select Manage.

In there select Disk Management. If you can see it in there right click it and select change drive letter. Change it to something down the list a bit and click okay. It will ask you if you are sure you want to change the drive letter. Select yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

i did all that but still nothing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sounds like its dead :( Not really much you can do im affraid.

Also just in case it isn't, can you check the key on another pc?

thers nothing wrong with the key. i was using it last nite at home.
    there better not be..my thesis is on it :eek:

ive ben gettin into it through the command line cept im not that up to date on the ole commands...but the key is fine

Tried different usb ports i guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

fifib wrote:
    i did all that but still nothing :(

Does it recognise the disk in disk management?

its actually a laptop but its got dockin station, keyboard, monitor etc.. so regard it as PC cos dont bring it home.......but anyways......
    thought there were only 2 usb ports...both of which didnt work but i just found another round the other side that works!!
    so thanks for your genius idea Anti!
    must get onto manager tho bout it...its only new, had it just bout month now!

fifib wrote:
    its actually a laptop but its got dockin station, keyboard, monitor etc.. so regard it as PC cos dont bring it home.......but anyways......
    thought there were only 2 usb ports...both of which didnt work but i just found another round the other side that works!!
    so thanks for your genius idea Anti!
    must get onto manager tho bout it...its only new, had it just bout month now!

Yore welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I have similiar problem with my work PC, what you have to do (no point now since you're logically using the laptop's usb) is when you insert the USB, just log out and log back in again. You laptop will then pick it up through the dockstation.

Just something handy to know in the future, that'll be €48.50 please.

In most cases you should not use the laptops usb ports when using a docking station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I hope you've backed up your thesis after this little scare.

Anti wrote:
    In most cases you should not use the laptops usb ports when using a docking station.

theres no usb ports on the dockin station tho and its worked fine for me for the past month

Beano wrote:
    I hope you've backed up your thesis after this little scare..

yea i have it backed up now, not that i have a huge amount of it done tho :rolleyes: but still wud be major pain in arse if i lost it!

Duggy747 wrote:
    I have similiar problem with my work PC, what you have to do (no point now since you're logically using the laptop's usb) is when you insert the USB, just log out and log back in again. You laptop will then pick it up through the dockstation.

Just something handy to know in the future, that'll be €48.50 please.

i tried what you said there in the ports i thought were faulty and it worked but when i removed it and put it back in again, nothing showed up
    what pain in arse havin to log in and out everytime :D
    av laptop at home and never had this sorta thing happen
    oh well....

thanks for all the advice everyone

Advertisement