Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faulty cpu's

Options
  • 14-06-2007 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

hey,

i have two water cooled core 2 duo 6600 both were bought oem in the states and both of them are posting idle temps of 34 degrees in both core temp and speed fan. The voltage is at 1.325 which i thought was high but is the standard max temp of core 2 duos. Can anyone shed some light on the situation?

A guy in my work said to apply more TIM but i thought this had the reverse affect? I've reseated these blocks at least ten times each and no success lowering temp so i'm thinking these are faulty or just post high temps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

So you think 34c is to high? You might be best off to remove the tim and apply some fresh, and make sure there are no air gaps or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

yeah from my research i should be getting around 24 degrees or am i completely off the mark with that? i think i'll reapply but if anyone can give me an idea of their temps i'd much appreciate it.

Actually anti how about creating a sticky in here or modding just detailing peoples set ups and coolers and their temps so people can reference the cooling performance of different products and so i can stop asking questions:)

you are completly off the mark, As room temp is 23.5c so with the heat of the cpu it will rise. So what you are getting is fine to be honest.

Good idea about the sticky. Ill get onto that now in the tweaking modding forums

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

requiem1 wrote:
    yeah from my research i should be getting around 24 degrees or am i completely off the mark with that? i think i'll reapply but if anyone can give me an idea of their temps i'd much appreciate it.

Actually anti how about creating a sticky in here or modding just detailing peoples set ups and coolers and their temps so people can reference the cooling performance of different products and so i can stop asking questions:)

The idle temp of the cpu is effected not only by the cpu's heat generation but also the ambient temp in the room the pc is in, the ventilation and air circulation of the case and the type of HSF used on the CPU. You need to factor these into account before thinking your temps are bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Nice one anti, and the day after i get my ultra-120, happy days!

One thing, your T2300 seems to run pretty hot under load, is that using orthos? Maybe add in a note for ppl to use a specific loading benchmark and say whether it was a cool/warm/hot day when they ran the test, just to make it a "bit" more scientific ;), no need to break out thermometers

thanks thats the only bit of reassurance i've gotten on this matter and thanks for the thread about the temps i'll be referencing that alot :D

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Nice one anti, and the day after i get my ultra-120, happy days!

One thing, your T2300 seems to run pretty hot under load, is that using orthos? Maybe add in a note for ppl to use a specific loading benchmark and say whether it was a cool/warm/hot day when they ran the test, just to make it a "bit" more scientific ;), no need to break out thermometers

i find running 2 f@h clients stress' a cpu alot harder then orthos. All are 24 hour load temps too. Still hot for a low power cpu, im guessing the laptop is full of dust at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah, I have an old Inspiron 9100 with a 3.4GHz prescott. My bros use it now, was idling around 62/64 and load was about 74/75 (yes, they are pretty much extinct due to overheating problems, i dunno how much longer she will last!)

I took out two of the fans, nice screw and release jobs, removed about 1/2 cm of dustballs from each cooling fin and voila! Idle temps dropped to 54/55C.

I have a T2300E in my M1210, tried to do the same cleanout....my god! I had to disassemble the entire laptop before I found one of the chassis M2.5 screws was not a screw, but some kind of bolt (yes a bolt, no not a worn screw thread!) that one of the lowest bidders for dell had drilled into the case, so now I can't remove the fan!

woop woop got the 6600 to idle at 25 degrees after several reseats and alot of cursing, overclocking here i come....:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement