Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger, problem or helper?

• 14-06-2007 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hello all.
    Last night I got your regular "windows has performed an illegal operation" message followed by a Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger message.
    The laptop locked up, I could move the mouse, but was unable to click on anything even to the point of being unable to ctrl alt delete.
    So I hibernated the system manually with the on board power button.
    I restarted from hibernation, but everything was still locked up, only this time I had access to ctrl alt delete.

I took a chance and located Dr Watson.exe, stopping it through the task manager.
    No problems since, but I have a paranoid fear that the laptop is running a small bit slower.
    I have since ran AVG and spybot, both are clear, will shortly run adaware.
    I have also run CCcleaner.

Should I be worried about this Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger, I believe it is part of windows XP, but also could be in some way linked to a trojan infection. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Irishgardener.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

nothing to worry about. Dr.Watson is some microsoft thing that pops up when some errors happen. really dont know the specifics but im 100% sure it's safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Thanks for that.
    I've had no issues with it since that night.
    Thanks again.

This appears to be a bug in the Dr Watson tool in SP2. It causes a buffer overflow which is trapped by the Windows DEP software. I'm not aware of any fix unfortunately.

Advertisement