Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crew Cab or Single Cab?

Options
  • 14-06-2007 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

I've been stalling on this for a while but I have a few prospects lined up over the weekend and am ready to buy.

A crew-cab is about 3 grand more expensive (like-for-like) and insurance is a bit higher but is there anything else I haven't thought of?

Road tax is the same as far as I know - although I'm a bit worried these bloody Greens will find a way to clamp down on crew-cabs. Whatever about insurance, paying extra tax would really p*** me off.

A Kingcab Navara might be an ideal compromise but they're hard to find and are a little over-priced from what I've seen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

Single cabs have more load space, but tend to be more utilitarian... they are workhorses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

there's really only one deciding factor, do you have a crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I have a commercial jeep. If I could get the seats for an extra 5 grand I would jump at it. In my case the difference however is more likely to be half the value of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Storage can often be an issue, A single cab pickup has very little secure storage area.

colm_mcm wrote:
    Storage can often be an issue, A single cab pickup has very little secure storage area.
    The pickups in the states seemed to have much more secure load area. I suppose they were designed for non-commercial use though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Have you tried looking at buying a crew cab in the UK and importing it here?

A while ago, I was looking at Land Rover 130s and Ford Rangers. Because there is a reduced VRT on them, it was working out cheaper than buying a second hand one here, whose price was dictated by the market here.

So your answer may be to buy a crew cab in the UK and import it here, all for the same price as a 2 seat pick up here.

Consider this one:

http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/iad/Motors/Cars_for_sale/Ford/Ranger/object?emcode=8249517&sid=xz3czbimrz-188686

VRT would be €2379. Cost of £10,500 according to xe.com is €15.5k. So all in all it's €17,879

Compare it to this one, which looks similar but has 43,000 more miles on it

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=689014

€21,000.

Nearly 3 and a half grand more for 43,000 more miles?

I know what I'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

colm_mcm wrote:

That's exactly why I was reluctant to buy a standard single cab. I got a Navara Kingcab in the end i.e. it's a single-cab but there's some space behing the back seats for tools etc.
    there's really only one deciding factor, do you have a crew?

I have a car for when I have a 'crew' so I don't need the extra seats. The load space is more valuable to me (plus insurance is almost half).

There's extra VAT on cars under 6 months being imported. The balance between UK and IRL, or it may even be full VAT. :eek:

ballooba wrote:
    There's extra VAT on cars under 6 months being imported. The balance between UK and IRL, or it may even be full VAT. :eek:

I was presuming he was going second hand, given the availability issue with the Nissan.

They are not hard to find if you are buying new. There may be a waiting list but there is really only one place to find them, I suppose. A Nissan dealer.

I was presuming he was going second hand, given the availability issue with the Nissan.
    I realised that after I posted it. Still a good piece of useful trivia. ;)

• Advertisement

Definitely!

Advertisement