Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fermoy Truck Crash

Options
  • 14-06-2007 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/ireland/article2656955.ece
    A truck driver has died following a pile-up on the main Dublin to Cork road near Fermoy this morning.

Four trucks were involved in the crash on the N8 at Kilworth just before 7am.

The vehicles are completely blocking the road and motorists are being warned to avoid the area as the road will be closed for at least four hours.

Diversions are in place in an effort to minimise disruption.

Terrible news indeed.
    Anyone know if they were inside the bypass loop? Wonder how many of these trucks were avoiding the N8 toll?? :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

calm down...no sensational news for you here...they were nowhere near the fermoy bypass.....the Corbett Court is basically on top of the hill twixt Fremoy and Mitchelstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

corktina wrote:
    calm down...no sensational news for you here...they were nowhere near the fermoy bypass.....the Corbett Court is basically on top of the hill twixt Fremoy and Mitchelstown.

I am calm :D I also heard it happened on the hill down to the bridge in Fermoy so thats why I asked! All kinds of stories going around.

What is the story with that bypass these days anyway? Is there many trucks using the town still?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was wondering about something else entirely - 1 truck going south managed to hit 4 going north at 6.45 am. Makes you wonder how many trucks are on our roads at unearthly hours. Anyone know where the Iron Ore truck which caused the crashes started from? I could imagine the driver having to be up and alert at 4 am but was he?

It would be interesting to know the kind of conditions contract drivers (esp) work under.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mike65 wrote:
    I was wondering about something else entirely - 1 truck going south managed to hit 4 going north at 6.45 am. Makes you wonder how many trucks are on our roads at unearthly hours. Anyone know where the Iron Ore truck which caused the crashes started from? I could imagine the driver having to be up and alert at 4 am but was he?

It would be interesting to know the kind of conditions contract drivers (esp) work under.

Mike.
    Many Dublin based drivers are required to be in Cork at 7am and I'm sure it's vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Prof_V

mike65 wrote:
    Anyone know where the Iron Ore truck which caused the crashes started from?

Lisheen mine (somewhere in the region of 80km away), presumably; this seems to be the only mine to export ore - lead and zinc, not iron - through Cork.

• Advertisement

Prof_V wrote:
    Lisheen mine (somewhere in the region of 80km away), presumably; this seems to be the only mine to export ore - lead and zinc, not iron - through Cork.
    They have very distinctive trailers - much shallower than the normal bulk tippers, presumably because of the weight of the zinc.

T'was Zinc from Galmoy which near-by. The driver was from Thurles.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

yes thats right prof V It was reported in some papers today that the truck originated from the Galmoy Mine a short distance from Lisheen, but they export their lead and zinc via New Ross.The investigation is just underway and no one can be certain what was the main contributary cause of this accident just yet. Needless to say hope those still in hospital have a speedy recovery and one can only feel huge sympathy for the family of the dead driver.a really horrific accident..

Have they determined that the driver of the ore truck was responsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Was driving the road 14 hours after the crash and it was still closed, mad emy journey very long... not being heartless like I know its terrible
    Drove home today and there was nothing left at the site of the crash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

I recall about 2 years ago driving from Cork to Dublin at about 1am. Nearly all of the traffic on the N8 were HGV's. It was quite an eye opener to see that amout of HGV traffic continuously along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dublin is full of various sized delivery trucks whizzing about hte place at 4-8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

There's a thread here about IE and a rail connection to the mine they were refused the money to build, apparently. If only a coroner would kick up a stink about the amount of *bulk* freight carried on public highways and that the government refuses to give it the same support in terms of railway lines that it gets through the roads programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Its about time something is done about the dangerous driving ot these trucks. I see it ever night trucks speeding in fog, tailgateing, cutting in like they dont realise that they have a trailer behind them. The majority of deaths on the road involves a truck/lorry, they protest enough when things dont go their way but what about the average motorist surely they have a right to travel in safety and not have to worry about these stupid truck drivers.

cymro wrote:
    The majority of deaths on the road involves a truck/lorry
    I think you are getting confused cymro. Accidents involving trucks often result in a fatality. However, the majority of deaths on our roads do not involve trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cymro wrote:
    Its about time something is done about the dangerous driving ot these trucks. I see it ever night trucks speeding in fog, tailgateing, cutting in like they dont realise that they have a trailer behind them. The majority of deaths on the road involves a truck/lorry, they protest enough when things dont go their way but what about the average motorist surely they have a right to travel in safety and not have to worry about these stupid truck drivers.

There are a lot more car drivers out there who drive worst then truckers. The average HGV driver will have passed a minimum of 3 driving tests, while the average car driver passes 1 (if they bother).
    A lot of the time people pull out in front of trucks as they don't wont to get stuck behind a slower vehicle, what they don't realize is that 40 tonnes takes a lot of stopping and pulling straight in front of a truck isn't a good idea. There are cowboy truck drivers out there, but if the rest weren't better drivers then there would be a hell of a lot more crashes involving trucks.
    Drivers have to be aware of all vehicles on the road and not just cars. Don't forget that the majority of motorcycle crashes involve cars. But you don't see people rushing out to ban cars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Del2005 wrote:
    There are a lot more car drivers out there who drive worst then truckers.
    Have to agree there (from my 30 yrs experience regularly travelling on the N4 & N7).
    My experience on the road would say that truck drivers are more compotent on the road. Not only are they more obliging to others on the roads, but they don't do as many irresponsible things on the road, like overtaking 8 cars on a continuous white line, or drive in fog with no lights on, or suddenly stop to take a right turn without an indicator.
    Having said that, I tend to regulary get caught behind dusty dumper trucks with the dirt so thick on their lights, i can't see if they are breaking or not. When this happens on a wet day, I ignore it, but on a dry day it's maddening.

I think you are getting confused cymro. Accidents involving trucks often result in a fatality. However, the majority of deaths on our roads do not involve trucks.

does it not? when you watch the news and it comes on that someone has been killed in a traffic accident it usualy involves a lorry. I agree that there are stupid drivers out there too but what some of these lorrys do on the roads are just plain stupid. Ok some do 3 tests or so but they dont drive on the road like they do on their test. Parking on the main road outside garages hence blocking view of cars exiting the garage, annoying when there is a parking place provided for them in some garages, Tailgating behind other lorrys , cutting in etc . Cars do this too but can stop quicker and safer than these lorrys/trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Larger vehicles tend to cause more severe accidents (mass). However, they probably get themselves into fewer accidents in the first place (better drivers + other people seem them better).

(All) Goods vehicle users account for 7-% of casualties, but are involved in about 25% of fatal accidents. They account for almost as many pedestrian deaths as cars (visibility + severity). They probably do much more of the percentage of mileage (all day driving v commuting).

when you watch the news and it comes on that someone has been killed in a traffic accident it usualy involves a lorry

No it does'nt. FACT. Unless you mean that when TV chooses to give airtime to a crash it involves a truck, thats more likely as the pictures are better. But its still not true even then.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

put up the avg. miles between accidents by vehicle type if anyone has them ?

My rant is about the idiot truck /lorry drivers and not about the normal drivers who know what they are doing.

I tend to regulary get caught behind dusty dumper trucks with the dirt so thick on their lights, i can't see if they are breaking or not. When this happens on a wet day, I ignore it, but on a dry day it's maddening.
    Tipper drivers would generally be considered on the lowest rung of the truck driver ladder and many would fit into the 'cowboy' category. They are also generally paid "per tonne" which encourages overloading, excessive speed, taking chances etc. HazChem drivers (Hazardous Chemical) on the other hand would be condsidered to be near the top and their rigs are usually well driven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tamielaws

Tipper drivers would generally be considered on the lowest rung of the truck driver ladder and many would fit into the 'cowboy' category. They are also generally paid "per tonne" which encourages overloading, excessive speed, taking chances etc. HazChem drivers (Hazardous Chemical) on the other hand would be condsidered to be near the top and their rigs are usually well driven.
    yes absolutely correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This thread is 4 years old. Please read the Charter before posting again and don't bump old threads.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement