Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dream Theater with Barney Greenway of Napalm Death covering Metallica's Damage Inc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Seen it before,Petrucci's face is great and Portnopys too.They all look like they're really enjoying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I've got a bootleg of Dream theater playing the whole puppets album in Barcelona, very interesting. I think there's also one where they do The number of the beast fully too.

Ah, just got handed Systematic Chaos as I was typing this :D I love when stuff like that happens :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

D.T. Jesus wrote:
    I've got a bootleg of Dream theater playing the whole puppets album in Barcelona, very interesting. I think there's also one where they do The number of the beast fully too.

Ah, just got handed Systematic Chaos as I was typing this :D I love when stuff like that happens :)

Nice. :D

I want to get the Master Of Puppets bootleg, and the Number Of The Beast. They also did Dark Side Of The Moon, which you can get on CD and DVD.

Here's the cover of Welcome Home (Sanitarium):

I think LaBrie's voice really suits the material. I wasn't too convinced with his vocals on Dark Side Of The Moon, but then again, he was always the weak link in Dream Theater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

he was always the weak link in Dream Theater.

In your opinion. I think he makes Dream Theater's sound. Sure, at first you have to get used to his vocals, but in time his voice grows on you (or at least it did for me). I can't imagine Dream Theater without James Labrie

mp3guy wrote:
    In your opinion.

No, in Frank the magic leprechaun's opinion.

Seriously though, I would agree with you that his voice suits the band (Although I wouldn't go as far as saying he 'makes' the sound), but that's not the issue. He can be really off a lot of times. When I saw the band, James was just insanely out of key on Pull Me Under. Even on the DVDs, his preformances can be iffy and inconsistant.

It's not a case of getting used to his voice, it's the fact that he's easily the most inconsistant member of the band, and in that sense, he is a weak link in the live setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Seriously though, I would agree with you that his voice suits the band (Although I wouldn't go as far as saying he 'makes' the sound), but that's not the issue. He can be really off a lot of times. When I saw the band, James was just insanely out of key on Pull Me Under. Even on the DVDs, his preformances can be iffy and inconsistant.

It's not a case of getting used to his voice, it's the fact that he's easily the most inconsistant member of the band, and in that sense, he is a weak link in the live setting.

Yeah have to agree with ya there. They're one of my favourite bands & I've seen them live a good few times, but James' voice is definately the weakest link. I love it most of the time, but some of the gigs I've seen & bootlegs I've heard, he goes way off. That said I wouldn't want anyone else in his place!

Oral Slang wrote:
    Yeah have to agree with ya there. They're one of my favourite bands & I've seen them live a good few times, but James' voice is definately the weakest link. I love it most of the time, but some of the gigs I've seen & bootlegs I've heard, he goes way off. That said I wouldn't want anyone else in his place!

I don't want to sound too hard on him, because he has a good voice, and I have his album, Elements Of Persuasion, which I think is excellent. Besides, he did rupture his vocal chords at one stage, so it's incredible that he's able to sing to the degree that he does.

I wouldn't want anyone else in his place either, after so long, he's really ingrained in the Dream Theater sound. I just really wish he was a better vocalist.

On that note though, do you have the When Dream And Day Reunite bootleg? I have that on DVD, and I have to say, Charlie Dominici was exceptionally good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

You're right about James being off sometimes live but i've never heard him doing anything THAT bad... Then again i havent heard much of him live other than the Budokan and Scenes from New York DVD.

I think he's a great singer on the albums though! I think he has a great voice.Especially on Awake,I love his vocals on that album.Think of how high he goes on Innocence Faded! I know that was before the ruptured vocal chords though...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Agree completely with Karl. Dream Theater's creative downfall has seemed to coincide with a huge inconsistency in the quality of James LaBrie's voice. He can indeed be way off sometimes. Wasn't aware of the ruptured vocal chords though, so that explains why he far superior in the early days.

As for DT covers, generally they do an excellent job. The covers on Change of Seasons for example are all fantastic particularly Funeral For A Friend.

The best cover they ever did though was Iron Maiden's Gangland. Turned a poor metal song into a fantastic jazz song. And it was recorded live of course. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Dr.Poca wrote:
    You're right about James being off sometimes live but i've never heard him doing anything THAT bad... Then again i havent heard much of him live other than the Budokan and Scenes from New York DVD.

Good god, get that man 20ccs of Score STAT! Easily LaBrie's best live performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

He's just such a douche aswell though isn't he? He oversings and adds an annoying affectation to his voice way too often, and his patter in between songs and the general way he carries himself just scream of douchebaggery.

I was watching the live version of Change of Seasons on the Metropolis DVD there yesterday and I found myself getting so frustrated with him and not for the first time.

"Just sing it properly."

AlanOB wrote:
    He's just such a douche aswell though isn't he? He oversings and adds an annoying affectation to his voice way too often, and his patter in between songs and the general way he carries himself just scream of douchebaggery.

I was watching the live version of Change of Seasons on the Metropolis DVD there yesterday and I found myself getting so frustrated with him and not for the first time.

"Just sing it properly."

Couldn't agree more, he's a dick plain and simple. All the guys in the band seem fairly sound and down to earth except him. Dickhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

All you LaBrie bashers, listen to DT's first album and tell me he doesnt make a huge difference to the band.

DT wouldnt be the same without LaBrie, simple as.

I don't deny that he's a good singer. I like the way he sings, I was just saying (following up AlanOBs post) that he, personality wise, is a dick.

I'll be frank, I don't think he's a dick. His personality doesn't come into it. He is a very inconsistant vocalist, he can be very off at times, and he can struggle to hit some higher notes.

And Moneymaker, don't knock Charlie Dominici:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

You misunderstand, Dominici is a very good vocalist, just not suited to Dream Theater's style.

I think he suits it fine, but maybe that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

D.T. Jesus wrote:
    I don't deny that he's a good singer. I like the way he sings, I was just saying (following up AlanOBs post) that he, personality wise, is a dick.

Do you know James personally?

Of course not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

D.T. Jesus wrote:
    Of course not.

Then you're not really in a position to comment on his personality. Most people act differently on stage or in front of camera, look at Myung for example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement