Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Insurance claim problem

Options
  • 14-06-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

bought laptop from pcworld Philips 1049.97 euro and insurance 349 i think,
    i laptop was stolen 3 days before insurance policy expires.
    report to garda.
    rang to insurance company filled the form sent back
    insurance company rang back and the man who rang me was very very rude behaviour and simply said i m lie to him and its false claim. how its is possible that your laptop is stolen before 3 days expiry date of insurance. not about 3 months gone never heard any thing of them no letter no phone call i rang them again and said claim is failed when i ask why they gave me a postal address of uk to send me letter they can explain to you.
    now what rights i have?
    what i can do about this?
    and this is not first time i have problem with uk based companies where to complains about them? (last time wasn't insurance company)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Who is the insurer? Presumably (hopefully) it is a reputable one. Write and ask why the claim failed. If it is because it happened so close to expiry (though they will probably say it was submitted incorrectly or somesuch) go to the FSA who I think govern UK insurers now. There may still be an insurance ombudsman there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

and try www.eccdublin.ie if they are still being assholes about it

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

hi,
    its DSG Ireland and i rang to their customer service yesterday and they said 226.09 euro cheque is already posted to you and you'll get it within 14 days.
    well about why claim fail he said we can not tell you as its against out policy. rang yesterday to financialombudsman.ie she send me form to fill and said it could take 6 to 8 months. (thats very fast man:rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

The insurance is looked after by a company called Mastercare.

See here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055092889

And here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055062523

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

wasim21k wrote:
    hi,
    its DSG Ireland and i rang to their customer service yesterday and they said 226.09 euro cheque is already posted to you and you'll get it within 14 days.
    well about why claim fail he said we can not tell you as its against out policy. rang yesterday to financialombudsman.ie she send me form to fill and said it could take 6 to 8 months. (thats very fast man:rolleyes: )

226 euro compensation for the theft of a 1049 euro laptop?

I understand depreciation but that's ridiculous.

I'd a camera stolen years ago. Two months after I bought it.
    It cost me 500 euro. The insurance company sent a cheque for 150.
    I sent a letter to say it wouldn't have depreciated by that much.
    They sent another cheque for 200 euro more.

Speak up and don't take any messing!
    M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

If you read the terms and conditions of the insurance you purchased, you will see that you are entitled to a hell of a lot more.

The insurance states that they will send you voucher to a similar spec'd machine of a similar brand type. Ask them what laptop can you buy in store for that price?

If you insure a laptop, they must replace with a laptop.

As per usual, the actual customer service from the retail shop (PC World in this case) is absolutely abismol. They hassle you into buying the 'Coverplan' and when it comes to actually using it, they leave you high and dry.

The reason they hard-sell the insurance is because the sales people are under immense pressure from above. Managers/Store Managers' bonus' depend on the percentage insurance sold. Why? Because they make a mint out of it. Mostly due to cases like these.

Ring them back and get what you're entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

well i rang them couple of time and each time same story (your claim is rejected ) and you want some feedback on rejection then you can send written letter to our claim department.
    when i ask don't they have any phone number?
    no they don't talk over phone.
    and when i ask shouldn't you be sending some letter some information that your claim is rejected or accepted to let me know?
    sorry but we don't send any letter. (look like they are trying to cover they ass as much as they can to stopping people taking legal action as they don't have proper information)

now i can say these insurance things are just scam (in other words thugs). in future if i have choice to have insurance or not to have, my preference not to have!

Advertisement