Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European cup team announced

• 14-06-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭

Athletics Ireland have announced their team for their European Cup in Vaasa, Finland.
    AAI wrote:
    Men’s Team
    100/200 Paul Hession
    400 David Gillick
    800 David McCarthy
    1500 Dave Campbell
    3000SC Mark Kirwan
    3000 James Nolan
    5000 Martin Fagan
    110H Ian McDonald
    400H Jonathon Miller

Long Jump Steve Fleming
    Triple Jump Jonathon Ritchie
    High Jump Chistopher Crowley
    Shot Sean Breathnach
    Discus Eoin Leen
    Hammer Padraig White
    Javelin Aaron Crawford
    Pole Vault Anthony McCreery

4×100 Relay Jason Smyth
    Jer O’Donoghue
    Gordon Kennedy
    Darragh Graham
    Paul McKee
    Paul Hession

4×400 Relay Paul McKee
    Gordon Kennedy
    David McCarthy
    Brian Murphy
    David Gillick

Women’s Team

Event Name
    100 Anna Boyle
    200 Ciara Sheehy
    400 Joanne Cuddihy
    800 Rose-Anne Galligan
    1500 Kelly Reid
    3000SC Linda Byrne
    3000 Orla Drumm
    5000 Finnoula Britton
    100H Derval O’Rourke
    400H Michelle Carey

Long Jump Kelly Proper
    Triple Jump Sara Barry
    High Jump Deirdre Ryan
    Shot Laura Cogan
    Discus Eileen O’Keefe
    Hammer Eileen O’Keefe
    Javelin Laura Kerr
    Pole Vault Claire Wilkinson

4×100 Relay Boyle, O’Rourke, Cuddihy, Sheehy
    Ailis McSweeney
    Emily Maher

4×400 Relay Cuddihy, Sheehy, Carey, Maher
    Elaine McCaffrey

Medical Staff Bill Cuddihy
    Neasa Smyth
    Ciaran Fitzpatrick
    Paul O’Neill

Team Manager Patsy McGonagle
    Coaches Stephen Maguire
    Sean Kyle
    Maeve Kyle
    Pat Diskin
    Paddy Fay
    Hayley Harrison
    Max Jones

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

First League Group A, Vaasa/FIN
    Qualified Teams

MEN
    Czech Republic
    Finland
    Ireland
    Netherlands
    Slovakia
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland

Women
    Czech Republic
    Finland
    Ireland
    Great Britain & NI
    Netherlands
    Norway
    Slovak Republic
    Sweden

The official website.

Anyone going? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

They are adopting the Clive Woodward Lions' touring policy. All they are missing is a Psychologist, Media Liason Officer and a team of video analysts.

The men could struggle but the women have a chance of staying up again. Our field events usually let us down, on the track even at this grade our women are a match for the best of them.

It'll be interesting to see what the men's 4x4 do, could the record go - 3:03 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Tingle wrote:
    The men could struggle but the women have a chance of staying up again. Our field events usually let us down, on the track even at this grade our women are a match for the best of them.

"Let us down" is probably a bit harsh maybe they aren't as strong is a better way of putting it.

You're right, Tingle. Our field eventers are at their lowest ebb for a long time. Our men will be doing well to get more than 10-12 points from 8 events.

On the track side of things, no Cragg or Chamney? No disrespect to Nolan, but he doesn't seem in great shape at the mo. Chamney could have covered the 8 and Campbell the 15 and Mark Carroll or Gary Power the 3k if Cragg was unavailable. Dave McCarthy on the relay could have been back-up for the 8.

McGettigan and Cullen are also absent from the women's team. I feel Britton could have covered 2 events quite easily. I'll be very interested in seeing how she gets on in her first serious 5k. Pavey is down for the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Slow coach wrote:
    You're right, Tingle. Our field eventers are at their lowest ebb for a long time. Our men will be doing well to get more than 10-12 points from 8 events.

McGettigan and Cullen are also absent from the women's team. I feel Britton could have covered 2 events quite easily. I'll be very interested in seeing how she gets on in her first serious 5k. Pavey is down for the UK.
    Just cross-checking the provisional enteries against the start lists which have been posted by the EAA on their website and it seems there has been a few alterations to the team which I have listed below. I'm not sure if I'm interpreting the enteries right because there seems to be some odd choices here and there, like Lee McConnell running the 400m for Britain ahead of Nicola Sanders (injured maybe?). I would appreciate if someone would take a look at them themselves and see what they make of them:
    http://www.european-athletics.org/files/vaasa_startlists.xls
    Women
    100m
    Amy Foster - in for Anna Boyle
    (Foster beat Boyle in the NI champs but that was the day after Boyle ran in Oslo. Not to disrespect Foster, but given the top class athletes that are in that race like Manninen and Maduaka, would it have been better to run O' Rourke in the 100m instead? Kallur is doing the double 100m/100mh as it stands.)

3000m s/c

Fionnuala Britton - in for Linda Byrne
    (Slowcoach you predicted accurately that Britton could run the two events! Can't say I disagree with this choice. Linda Byrne is a fantastic athlete and a real rising star in the middle distance flat races. However, she is our third choice steeplechaser after McGettigan and Britton and with a group as tough as this, we need the best athletes we can get out there )
    Discus
    Deirdre Murphy - in for O' Keefe
    ( O' Keefe has thrown 5 metres further then Murphy this season - we're already ranked last in the discus as it is)

A few things worry me about these teams:
      Based on season bests, we are ranked either last or second last in nearly all the field events, both men and women, with the exception of Ryan in the High Jump (5th) and O' Keefe in the HT (an excellent 1st)
    [LIST=2]The women's team looks particularly vulnerable to relegation due not only to the said field weaknesses, but also to the fact that our sprints and middle-distance runners aren't ranked very highly on current form. If Rourke can further improve her time then she looks well placed to finish 2nd behind Kallur depending how Claxton runs. Cuddihy and Carey should also place well.

>>> I think the Men's team is looking stronger at the moment; Hession and Gillick are looking at 1st/2nd, while Fagan should pull out a good race. Cragg and Chamney might have been handy.
    [/LIST]

Rineanna wrote:
    ...Lee McConnell running the 400m for Britain ahead of Nicola Sanders (injured maybe?). I would appreciate if someone would take a look at them themselves and see what they make of them:

Yep, I heard Sanders has an Achilles problem. Good to see Britton taking on the steeple. I just hope she's healthy after the W/E. She has the make-up to run two hard races in two days.

Overall, I think the women will hang on but the men will be under severe pressure to avoid relegation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Is this on TV anywhere? Live or highlights.

European Cup Athletics
    Sat 23 Jun, 12:55 pm - 4:25 pm 210mins

Hazel Irvine presents live European Cup athletics from Munich as Great Britain's men look to impress ahead of August's World Championships in Osaka. Among those in action are Craig Pickering in the 100m, while the opening day's action ends with the men's 4x100m relay, with GB's sights set on gold. Plus, action from the Women's promotion match in Vaasa, Finland, where Nicola Sanders leads the way for GB on day one. Commentary from Steve Cram, Jonathan Edwards, Paul Dickenson and Stuart Storey.

BBC

Why is Paul McKee in the 4x100m relay squad but not in the 4x400m relay squad where he has run faster then both Kennedy and Doyle?

• Advertisement

Here are the official startlists:

IRL Kennedy Gordon 4x100m
    IRL Hession Paul 4x100m
    IRL McKee Paul 4x100m
    IRL O'Donoghue Jer 4x100m
    IRL Graham Darragh 4x100m
    IRL Smyth Jason 4x100m

IRL McCarthy David 4x400m
    IRL McKee Paul 4x400m
    IRL Gillick David 4x400m
    IRL Kennedy Gordon 4x400m
    IRL Miller Jonathon 4x400m
    IRL Murphy Brian 4x400m

I hear McGettigan has been drafted into the steeple spot, with Linda Byrne now running the 3k. I also hear Proper is out, with Leona Byrne filling in and Aoife Hoey replacing Sarah Barry in the Triple Jump.

Indo report

Here are the official startlists
    Thanks for that, I must have missed that when I read through them.
    I hear McGettigan has been drafted into the steeple spot, with Linda Byrne now running the 3k. I also hear Proper is out, with Leona Byrne filling in and Aoife Hoey replacing Sarah Barry in the Triple Jump.

Ailis McSweeney is also running the 100m instead of Foster according to the AAI preview;
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=1803#more-1803

Rineanna wrote:
    Ailis McSweeney is also running the 100m instead of Foster according to the AAI preview

Foster is down to run in Mannheim. Must have been double-booked!

Slow coach wrote:
    Foster is down to run in Mannheim. Must have been double-booked!
    :D

If you don't mind me asking, how do you find out the start lists for Mannheim? I'm always looking for start lists but with little success.

I don't speak or read German, but you get used to certain words. :)

I try the German Federation website. It has comprehensive results, stats and links to meets such as Mannheim. A great resource for the stat geek. :)Mannheim start lists listed by country.

Advertisement