Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are our New Government Ministers?

Options
  • 14-06-2007 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any ideas ahead of the announcements this evening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Something would be seriously wrong if Sargent didn't get the Environment post.

Healey-Rae for Foreign Affairs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Sargent has said he's standing down as leader and will only accept a junior ministry.

Gormley will be probably given environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

funktastic wrote:
    Sargent has said he's standing down as leader
    Oh, I had missed that last night. Well, that sorts that then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

Healey-Rae for Foreign Affairs :D

Ah I'd love that :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Harney for Health
    Gormley for Environment
    A.N. Green for another ministry (transport or communications)
    Fianna Fáilers getting the rest of the senior positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

I saw Mary White driving in on the N11 this morning in her biofuel Golf estate. I hope she gets a Junior Ministry...
    Its a mad ol' world to be a county counsellor (sp?) one week and in Government the next....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

For the other green cabinet position, it'd be nice to see Eamon Ryan but it could easily be Mary White/Ciaran Cuffe seeing as Berite will be looking to give a good geographical spread of cabinet members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Bertie is taoiseach. Long live Bertie.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dreamerbeliever

Justice will be interesting, i suspect dermot Ahern will be given it. Otherwise, Harney will get health uunfortunately, Gormley will get environment, Micheal Martin for transport maybe and the rest will be pretty predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

For some reason I think it's likely Brian Lenihan will get Justice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

the talk on newstalk was that it will be brian lenihan in Justice. Harney going back to health.

I'd say Gormley will get environment and that Eamon Ryan will pick something up like Arts/Sports or such like.

It'll be interesting to see who next tanaiste is though. I'd have thought Biffo alright, but now I'm not sure.....

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

nurse_baz wrote:
    It'll be interesting to see who next tanaiste is though. I'd have thought Biffo alright, but now I'm not sure.....
    I'll be disgusted if Harney gets it back, but given how much the greens gave away, I wouldn't be all that surprised.

I reckon it has to be Cowen though. I mean, with no leader of the Greens, who would they give it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Just saw it and Green Party really bent over and took it didn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

RTÉ are calling out the ministries. I missed them though, except for caught 2 junior ministers......

Dick Roche - minister of state for european affairs
    Tom Kitt - chief whip

Cowen - Finance / Tanaiste

Harney - Health

Dempsey - Transport

Lenihan - Justice

Hanafin - Education

Gormley - Enviroment

Ryan - Comms & Energy

Brennan - Arts, Sport & Tourism

Cullen - Welfare

Martin - Enterprise

D Ahern - Foreign Affairs

Coughlan - Agriculture

O Cuiv - Gaeltacht

O'Dea - Guns & Drugs, sorry, Defence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Any new ministries created, no? Good to see Lenihan in Justice, he's a great deputy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Harney is back in Health and the Greens got the two Ministries closest to the majority of their policy which is a good coup for them. Whatever about people's views on the matters dropped from their manifesto, the environment, our energy policy and local government have been some of their key areas of interest for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

DaveMcG wrote:
    Any new ministries created, no?

Agriculture and Food is now Agriculture, Fisheries and Food
    Transport is now Transport and the Marine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Well deserved for Lenihan.

2 cabinet positions seem a lot for the Greens.

ateam wrote:
    2 cabinet positions seem a lot for the Greens.

Why? They've three times the number of seats as the PDs who got one of the top ministries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Lets Hope that Lenihan wont copy McDowell !

Oirthir wrote:
    Why? They've three times the number of seats as the PDs who got one of the top ministries?

But for the last Dail, the PDs had 8 seats and got 2 seats at cabinet. I think one senior and two junior would have been preferable.

Suff wrote:
    Lets Hope that Lenihan wont copy McDowell !

Why what did McDowell wrong in Justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

ateam wrote:

Its personal !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

gilroyb wrote:
    For some reason I think it's likely Brian Lenihan will get Justice

Thought this would happen myself. Why do they keep giving this brief to barristers??? WTF would a barrister know about justice???

ateam wrote:

He didn't deal with crime. It got worse on his watch and he thankfully has been made take full responsibility for that.

Oirthir wrote:
    Ah come on who would want health??
    Also didnt the pd's have 8 seats the last time round , thats 2 more than the greens this time and the pd's didnt have 2 full cabinet positions.
    I like the new green minister for communications by the way,I'd expect Eircom wont :)

Tristrame wrote:
    Also didnt the pd's have 8 seats the last time round , thats 2 more than the greens this time and the pd's didnt have 2 full cabinet positions.
    I like the new green minister for communications by the way,I'd expect Eircom wont :)

At least hapless Martin Cullen has been moved to a place where he can basically do no more damage. Where has DICK Roche gone to, the Ministry for the Bursting of Balloons???

Tristrame wrote:

Well, eh, Mary Harney did. She was offered a move but declined so she could sell public land to private developers so they could profit off the sick and dying.
    Tristrame wrote:
    the pd's didnt have 2 full cabinet positions.

The PDs didn't have two cabinet positions? Harney had health and Herr McDowell had Justice? Not only are they cabinet, they're pretty high profile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Darragh29 wrote:
    At least hapless Martin Cullen has been moved to a place where he can basically do no more damage. Where has DICK Roche gone to, the Ministry for the Bursting of Balloons???

Well Seamus Brennan did reasonably well in SW and there was a lot of new plans drawn up e.g. on single parent payment so not too much for him to mess up.:o

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement