Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does it annoy anyone else?

Options
  • 14-06-2007 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I got my bill for "Mobile Broadband 10Gb".

Does it annoy anyone else how companys seem to interchange Gb and GB as if they were the same thing? How can they blame customers for becomming confused when they can't even get the terminology correct?

Or am I just being a fussy bastard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

ciaranfo wrote:
    I got my bill for "Mobile Broadband 10Gb".

Does it annoy anyone else how companys seem to interchange Gb and GB as if they were the same thing? How can they blame customers for becomming confused when they can't even get the terminology correct?

Or am I just being a fussy bastard?

Maybe u should explain what the difference is?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd imagine it wouldn't bother anyone who didn't know that b was bits and B was bytes ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Annoys the hell out of me and every telecoms company does it.

Incompetent fools the lot of them!

Its not that hard, you can just look it up on Google if you can't remember which is which. How could they all mess this up so often?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

certainly annoying when you consider one is Gigabit and one is Gigabyte!
    some difference :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It should always be in bytes, rather annoying all right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I haven't seen it on many sites but I suppose no harm people posting examples of companys that do get it wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/store/productDetails.jsp?store=Res&shopCategory=retrieveBroadbandBundleRes&Title=eircom%20broadband%20bundle&storeChanId=536897507&site=Res&chanId=536897507&ProductID=90004&BV_SessionID=@@@@0490352782.1181835381@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddlehheiihcefeceiedffndffg.0
    eircom broadband home plus gives you:

* Always on eircom broadband with speeds of 2MB downstream and 256k upstream*
    * Monthly megabyte allowance: 20 GB download / unlimited upload.
    * Technical support number: low-call 1890 260 260.**

http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/datacards_e220.htm
    Mobile Broadband 10Gb

Don't forget about eircoms 2GB Downsteam product,
    screenshot here from back in 2005 http://www.cabaal.org/pub/images/2005/misc/eircom2gb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What's annoying are those kbps vs KBps issues. People come on complaining about theit 100 kBps download speed only to find out they're getting nearly all of their 1 Mbit package. I wouldn't mind making that bit of info a sticky. Mabye a sticky on that and comparing speedtests etc. instead of the "broadband availability thread", which is used very, very infrequently.

I'm pretty busy at the moment but if somebody wants to do up the info I'll be happy to sticky it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement