Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New monitor won't come out of power saving mode

Options
  • 14-06-2007 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

I got an Acer 22" widescreen monitor and I'm using it with DVI, but every time it goes into power saving mode or standby or whatever (orange light) it doesn't come back out of it when I use the keyboard or mouse.
    Oh and I know they keyboard and mouse are working because I'm able to restart the PC with them (Start Menu, U for shutdown and R for restart).
    And in Windows Power Options I changed the "turn off monitor" setting to Never.

I'm using a Logitech MX5000 bluetooth mouse and keyboard and I have XP Pro, an ATI Radeon X800 Pro with the 7.4 drivers (the 7.5 ones caused problems with a few games for me)

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

uninstall gfx driver and reinstall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Well I installed the 7.4 drivers after I connected the monitor, but I'll do it again to be sure.

Is there anything in the Catalyst Control Centre that would be causing it?
    VPU Recover or Fast Write?

Hmm, no change, and it seems it's not just when it goes into power saving mode itself, if I turn it off and wait even a few seconds and turn it back on again, it says "No signal" and powers off again!

I've changed to VGA cable for now but I wonder what it could be...
    I wonder does it have anything to do with this thing: DDC/CI option in the monitor settings, which I can turn On or Off, set to On.
    Or the DVI Operational mode settings in Catalyst Control Centre, which has disappeared, there used to be two checkboxes to do with DVI, that are no longer in the latest CCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I've never owned an ATi card before but to me it does sound like a problem with the card itself. When you turn off your monitor, I think your card shuts down the DVI interface. But when you turn it on, it doesn't accept new connections (without, i presume, a reboot). Maybe you could look into the BIOS of your card and see if ATi has released anything to address DVI problems.

But to be honest, I'd be afraid to to flash the bios of a graphics card. It could become bricked.

---
    .... just done a google. Seems your not alone:
    http://forums.firingsquad.com/rss/message?board.id=hardware&message.id=97675

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Do you by any chance have another machine to try it on? Ruling out anything PC related?

If not, what might help to narrow it down is when it happens again, unplug from the card (ruling out the card causing any problem) and then press menu. If the monitor is working you will get the menu on it regardless of if it has a signal. If it stays in sleep mode then you have a problem with the screen.

• Advertisement

Hmm, well I went from an Acer 17" with DVI and that didn't have the same problem, hopefully Acer will email me back.

Advertisement