Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skin and Guts

• 14-06-2007 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

After walking past my local butchers window i noticed somehting tht looked very fermilure

Rabbits for sale €8

the question i have is what food prep area/traciblity do i need to have if i want to sell the rabbit to the butcher?

does anyone here do it??

it seems like a nice money spinner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Was thinking the very same thing the other day

My brother is friends with a settled traveller and he was telling the brother that selling perry winckles (sp?) for 3 days last week he made 1200 euro.

S0 that got me thinking could game be sold at the farmers markets on saturdays and sundays. What would be involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

i've been told you need the full "white room " set up

pvc clad floor wallsand all the hygene garb

but it seems excessive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Ive heard the zoo will buy bullet shot bunniees to feed the cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Why would you need a white room isnt that the butchers job you just give him paunched rabbits with skins and he can do the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

[
    GAAAAK!!!!Snots with a crash helmet!!!:eek: One wonders how they can get away with selling a fish product,which could have been picked form a sewer outlet area,with zero hygeine requirements on the street when a butcher cant sell anything without traceability.:eek: :confused:

From what I got from my butcher is;any game or meat products have to have traceability from source.So that is why game is soo difficult to sell. You cant even store game in the cold room or butcher it in the shop.But he can butcher it for you in our own home.I think the Brit Deer society does a course on butchering deer and game.Wether it would be accepted here,is another thing.Blame the EU for all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

[
    Blame the EU for all this.
    But we don't have to act this way just because of the EU, look at France they have plenty of Lapin for sale in every meat counter in every supermarket.
    Ireland just follows all these directives like little robots and in France they look at them and just shrug.
    We have allowed ourselves to become EU lapdogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Most of the rabbit for sale in France would be farmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

But he can butcher it for you in our own home.

He cannot use his knives etc from the shop - once they have been used on "untraceable" meat they may not be brought back into the shop. If he is "caught" bringing the tools back into the shop he'd be in deep ****. As usual that only happens when the local busy body or palm greaser sticks their oar in.

I dunno what the deal would be at a farmers market. I've seen plenty of guys from Pig farms selling Rashers, Bacon, Sausages, etc from a HB Ice cream freezer (yiou gotta be there early to catch thiose guys as they are usually cleaned out in the first 5/10 mins they're open - especially if I'm about :p ). I'm sure he has the tags in the car in case anyone asks.

I suppose the real issue is if someone gets poisoned. Whether by your meat or not. As you cannot prove the source of the meat you would have a very hard time proving he was not poisoned by what you sold him.

At the same time I agree - for a place that is overrun with bunnies you could not buy one to save your life. There's a few spanish guys work with me have asked me to get em some bunnies coz they can't buy em - one guys says his local butcher will get him some if he orders them - bet that butcher has been on here asking whats a good .22 :-)

Last time I was in france I was flying out of Carcasonne with Ryanair - as usual from a converted hayshed - however - they had a very nice Rabbit in mustard cream sauce in the "canteen" - see - the French even do ****e service with a touch of class. Farmed or not - it beat the hell out of another dry chicken breast.

B'Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Traumadoc wrote:
    Most of the rabbit for sale in France would be farmed.
    I realise that TD, due to them having the head on and little cardboard collars:) but my point is that there is no other country in the EU apart from our nearest neighbours that slavishly follow the Diktats from Brussels as well as ourselves.
    This has lead to the situation where small butchers have to follow the same rules and regs as a giant meat processing firm, leading to a huge fall off in the number of local/craft butchers.
    They probably would have disappeared entirely if the ACBI hadn't been formed.
    I really think it is a shame, that many country people here won't even look at rabbit or game as a food.
    I have offered the best of headshot and dressed rabbits to the farmer on whose land I shot them and he wouldn't look at them.
    I guess that as a nation there is almost no indigenous food culture left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Nah! We are too grand these days to eat lowly rabbit!:rolleyes: It was considerd the poor mans food once.So that only for people who shop at Lidils and drive 05 cars,and live in property worth less than three million.For Fwacks sake:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

alan123 wrote:
    Ive heard the zoo will buy bullet shot bunniees to feed the cats.

do the zoo really buy bullet shot bunnies and how do you go about selling them to them?

Advertisement