Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trees for heavy soil

• 14-06-2007 4:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭

a colleague of mine has a house on a large enough site (close to an acre) and was wondering what sort of trees which would be able to do well in the heavy marl-y clay soil?
    he'd like to plant ash (he's a kilkenny man) and oak if he can; would these prosper?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Ash and oak should be grand.
    Also consider...
    horse chestnut
    Lime
    Mountain ash
    Flowering cherry
    Alder
    Birch
    Hornbeam
    Hawthorn
    Sycamore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Demps

Hi Irish Gardener

Would You be able to recommend somewhere in the Midlands where I could get some Horsechestnut trees. I plan to line a driveway with them have checked some nureseries locally and cant seem to see any.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Demps wrote:
    Hi Irish Gardener

Would You be able to recommend somewhere in the Midlands where I could get some Horsechestnut trees. I plan to line a driveway with them have checked some nureseries locally and cant seem to see any.

Thanks

Cork, but will deliver

Demps, lots and lots of nurseries in Kildare, for example http://www.knsp.ie/
    I am sure all will deliver if you are planning to line a driveway with a fair quantity of Horsechestnut trees.
    If your local nurseries have none at the moment, I will bet they will in autumn, which is a better time for planting the tree as well.
    One final tip...... Ensure the variety of Horsechestnut tree you select is not a sterile variety if you wish it to produce conkers.
    I'm sure you and all local kids would like to see this first prickly then shiny fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Demps

Excellent info. and advice as always Irish gardener.

On final question (well two actually!) - One of the nurseries in Kildare is looking for the plant name - what would that be for Horse Chestnut or any in particular You would recommend?

Any other trees You would plant on a fairly long driveway:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you were adventurous, you could try growing your own from conkers. it'd obviously take much longer to achieve the result you're looking for, though.

Demps wrote:
    Excellent info. and advice as always Irish gardener.

On final question (well two actually!) - One of the nurseries in Kildare is looking for the plant name - what would that be for Horse Chestnut or any in particular You would recommend?
    The original....... Aesculus hippocastanum
    Demps wrote:
    Any other trees You would plant on a fairly long driveway:confused:
    Well the main attribute the tree should have is its ability to avoid clashing with passing cars or pedestrians.
    The avenue tree should ideally have a high head eg. Tillia cordata "Greenspire" (lollypop lime)
    or else a tight columnar habit eg. Carpinus betulus "Fastigiata" (columnar hornbeam).

Advertisement