Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nVidia Geforce 7950GT 512mb PCI-X

Options
  • 14-06-2007 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

nVidia Geforce 7950GT 512mb PCI-X

Any use? its in my price range that i feel comfy with on spending on a gfx card. I don't care much for eye-candy, i just want performance for FPS based games.

im currently running a 6800GS, which is ok, but i need more power!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

PCI-X is server PCI interface I assume that's a typo & you meant PCI-e

As for the card yeah it's aright but what's your price range because you can pick up a better card like the X1950XT for €182.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

heh, yea, its pci-express, i was in work and had litterally 1 minute to type out a post before i had to get away from the pc!

im running a 6800GS atm, my motherboard will run sli..

Are you sure that gfx card is good? Ill spend 180-250 at most.. i've not really put money aside for a gfx card - its just a case of "ye know what, i could use a new gfx card".

Im not a fan of ATi out of principal. Their hardware has generally been shoddy for all the machines i've worked on that have contained anything ranging from a 7000 32mb right through to the x1300 i got off of a mate there the other day. Granted i wasnt expecting much out of it, but i was expecting more than 20 fps on a map that my current gfx card renders 120 on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Just check out the performance at tomshardware.co.uk

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html?modelx=33&model1=722&model2=710&chart=318

Thats a handy reference tool, and the mark is an average over all games tested.

How much you gonna be spending?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Just check out the performance at tomshardware.co.uk

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html?modelx=33&model1=722&model2=710&chart=318

Thats a handy reference tool, and the mark is an average over all games tested.

How much you gonna be spending?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

{The X1300 is a bottom of the barrel card with many different configs so really it's not suitable for gaming at all, also it is not a good idea to switch graphics cards on XP without a format as there are many documented cases where performance is adversely affected}

Well for the following reasons I'd class the X1950XT as the better card.

* Better cooler that particular model comes with good a third party cooler.

* Better image quality out of the box vs the GeForce 7 series & better AF quality.

* Better AA options than GeForce 7 series as it supports HDR+AA.

* Better performance & better at shader intensive applications.

* Probably better given large number of Xbox 360 ports seeing as it has ATI GPU as well.

So overall a better choice in my eyes over a 7950GT. There is also a 512MB version of the same card for a little bit more which if you play at high resolutions(1600x1200/1680x1050+) with AA might be worth going for however if you start to approach the €250 price point then you way as well just get an 8800GTS 320 which you can pick up for that amount or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement