Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bear Grylls: Born Survivor/Man vs Wild

• 14-06-2007 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

does anybody know when season 2 of Born Survivor starts on the Discovery channel (in Ireland)?

His website, http://www.beargrylls.com/ , says under 'latest news':

"Bear's Channel 4 series: 'Born Survivor: Bear Grylls', goes out in the UK, and season two of 'Man Vs Wild' airs in America. "

It doesn't give a date though :confused: But I have a reminder in my phone that it starts tomorrow... can't find where I got that date though!

Anybody know?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nobody knows? :( Any fans of Bear's in the hizouse? He's a hero! :D Makes Ray Mears look like a fat boy scout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Watched the first series, entertaining stuff :)

hmmm, Season 2 consists of 6 episodes and starts tonight (June 15th,on U.S TV).

They call it 'Man vs Wild' in the U.S (it has to be something vs something to make it sound exciting enough for the yanks :o )

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0883772/episodes#season-2

I wonder will he ever come to Ireland and try to survive :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Bear is a hero
    'And now, i'm going to bite down on this fish's neck, rapturing it's spline and sucking on it's spline juice, mmmmm'

homer5.jpg
    mmm spine juice

mmm elephant turd juice!!!

wQqvIXaeE4.jpg

Cheers the Rigger, hopefully it'll be up on tv-links.co.uk soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I can just picture what he'd end up drinking while trying to survive a Saturday night in Dublin city.

I can't see him complaining about a bad pint, that's for sure! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Bear Grylls ROCKS.."the last time i parachuted into africa i broke my back in three places..so this is gonna be hard!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have been starting to pick this up, watching one yesterday where he was in northern Kenya and telling the story of the lady being trampled to death by the elephants (at this point he was looking at a herd of elephants). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

DaveMcG wrote:
    Nobody knows? :( Any fans of Bear's in the hizouse? He's a hero! :DMakes Ray Mears look like a fat boy scout!

lol I used to love Ray Mear but you are right. Bear Grylls is a legend and his show is great, I love it.

• Advertisement

Where did he get the name "Bear" from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Degsy wrote:
    Bear Grylls ROCKS.."the last time i parachuted into africa i broke my back in three places..so this is gonna be hard!"
    Yea thats my fave quote from the whole thing. another class part was when he just cought a fish and was like theese are great raw you can even eat the scales he just starts chomping into it while its still wriggleing.

That guy makes steve irwin and rey mears look like posers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Would highly recommend his book Facing the Frozen Ocean. Have a spare cpoy if anyone wants it?

http://www.amazon.com/Facing-Frozen-Ocean-Bear-Grylls/dp/1405041501

GDM wrote:
    Where did he get the name "Bear" from?

I think his first name is Edward.

Edward... Teddy... Teddy Bear... Bear...

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

daveg wrote:
    Would highly recommend his book Facing the Frozen Ocean. Have a spare cpoy if anyone wants it?

http://www.amazon.com/Facing-Frozen-Ocean-Bear-Grylls/dp/1405041501

yes please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the haiwain (sp?) volcano one was interesting unusual landscape...

but he cheats cos he has tv crew with him, the american extreme sports guy would walk a stretch, place his camera go back a stretch and walk and do his bit to camera again.

I do find it funny that he gets himself "stranded" and yet gets dropped into these places by helicopter, like he doesn't know where he's going. But still it's all good stuff.

Check out "Survivorman" as well.Its been on Nat Geo(i think) and is definatly due a re-showing.The bloke in it is more grizzled than Bear and doesnt have a crew with him,he goes to glaciers,the north pole,american canyons,deserts,desert islands and i think rainforest.He allways manages to catch some animal as well although you can tell he's suffering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Enjoyable stuff but its only a matter of time before he meets the same fate as Steve Irwin imo.

Enjoyable stuff but its only a matter of time before he meets the same fate as Steve Irwin imo.

No doubt about it,he deliberatly takes unnecessary risks when there's no need.Several times i've watched him do stupid stuff like climb up 200 ft trees,jump over waterfalls and leap into icey lakes.It really does look like he's on a suicide mission...unless there's more in the way of a camera crew with him than he's letting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dodgey69

Originally Posted by daveg
    Would highly recommend his book Facing the Frozen Ocean. Have a spare copy if anyone wants it?

Hi dave, just wondering if ya still have the spare book?

Bear Grylls is quality alright, only stumbled across him a while ago and have managed to see all 6 of his programs. very entertaining and informative although i couldn see myself climbing down the waterfalls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

But he's a survivor - that's the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I want him to have my babies. and eat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

DaveMcG wrote:
    Makes Ray Mears look like a fat boy scout!
    He is a fat boy scout!! :D
    I still like his shows though, mind you they're done at a slightly slower pace that BG's.

I love that quote about the broken back. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

But he's a survivor - that's the difference

Until nature gets its way in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

really interesting series, i saw parts of the one in kenya very late last sunday night before i passed out.. scared the **** out of me as i am heading to ghana in a few weeks but at least i now know what to do if confronted by a lionness or rhino and also that if im feeling a bit thirsty, there's always some refreshment in some elephant crap.. the one in antarctica was pretty interesting too.. good work bear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Sorry folks completely forgot about this thread. First to PM me and can collect in Galway can have the book.

Is this book still available? :D

I'm in Dublin, 'd compensate you for postage though!

Bear is drinking his own urine now, fair play to him, lol.

Did ye see any of the new season? I only saw the one in Iceland... Very good stuff. Was a bit disappointed to see him actually cooking his food in this one though :p What a wuss! Although in fairness to him, he only dipped the goat's eyeball in boiling water to clean it off, so it wasnt actually cooked ;) Don't wanna be eating no dirty eyeball! Eww!

If you're opposed to piracy as much as I am, then make sure you avoid the torrent websites, because the episodes are on them! :mad: damn pirates

• Advertisement

lol yea, watchin Season 2, Episode 4.

He drank his own urine, didn't even boil it, so he is back on form after his nancy eyeballing boiling antics! :D158695.gif:D

FYI, the Mexico episode is on YouTube :) He ate a live scorpion, lol. Good call!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Must confess I'm enjoying season 2.

Some background info on Bear on Wikipedia.
    (Usual caveats apply as it is wikipedia after all).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

(Usual caveats apply as it is wikipedia after all).
    Indeed.
    Wiki wrote:
    The only alcoholic beverage he will consume is his own urine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I love this show watched the whole first series one sunday a few weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

It's entertainment, but it's all to staged. I like watching survival programs, but give me Ray Mears over Bear Grylls any day.

• Advertisement

Did anyone see the bit in The Mail on Sunday yesterday about Bear Grylls. It talks about how when he killed and cooked a badger it was really a steak wrapped in a badger skin and when he was sleeping in the Rocky mountains the bear that came through his camp was actually a crew member in a bear suit. Also gives a few other examples s well cant think of them at the moment.

pd101 wrote:
    Did anyone see the bit in The Mail on Sunday yesterday about Bear Grylls. It talks about how when he killed and cooked a badger it was really a steak wrapped in a badger skin and when he was sleeping in the Rocky mountains the bear that came through his camp was actually a crew member in a bear suit. Also gives a few other examples s well cant think of them at the moment.

That he didnt parachute into trees..he was hauled up there by the crew,he didnt kill and eat a snake,he stays in hotels,the locations are usually far from remote and basicly the whole thing is a set-up.
    The BBC are in trouble for setting up other shows and faking TV show results but they should really be closed down for Paddington Green and MacIntyre Undercover..two of the most blatently false shows masking as reality i'v ever seen.Down with this sort of thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Anyone know when this series is shown over here? i haven`t seen any of it so am looking for season 1 repeats or whatever. Sounds like something I would like. I checked the Discovery UK website and the programme page lists it as being on Mondays at 10pm but its not! Is season 1 repeated anywhere?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

pd101 wrote:

The Sunday Times had an article on it the previous week, 22nd July
    People need to realise it's a TV show and it's only entertainment,
    I find it the perfect hangover TV :)

Looks like Bear is in a spot of bother with OFCOM as well according
    to today's London Times
    Ofcom has censured ITV for editing a programme to make it appear that a turtle was being roasted alive by Bear Grylls, the “survivalist”.
    ITV breached broadcasting rules during a family show by showing Grylls apparently biting the head off a live frog and cooking a turtle in its shell on an open fire.
    Edited clips from the former SAS soldier’s Channel 4 show, Born Survivor, were included in the ITV1 satirical show, Harry Hill’s TV Burp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

People need to realise it's a TV show and it's only entertainment,
    I find it the perfect hangover TV :)

yeah he could do the show and saw well this is how I would do it...but still be honest...

why lie, you replay the show as it is, it would be fine but why lie

he hasn't replied himself has he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

fake or not bear grylls is a hard ass but the show reeks as being fake as fook. They shouldn't have gone for a "I'm stuck and now need to escape" type show they should have gone for a "This is what to do when stranded" type show. Then the fakeness would be acceptable

What do ye think of the new series? It started on Discovery last week AFAIK. It can be watched here: http://www.youtube.com/user/soiryx

I watched the first 3 episodes.... very good :)

So far he's eaten a snake, spider, beetle, frog, goat's testicle (ew)....... can't think of the rest!

Sahara looked like a difficult f*cking terrain! Just looking at those sand dunes made my legs weak, I can only imagine walking up them all day.

In that episode he showed how to skin and gut a camel -- and then use the empty area where the guts used to be, as shelter! :eek:

Ya gotta feel for the camera crew, they're some hard f*ckers too. One of them had to climb up a sandstone cliff along with Bear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Thanks for the heads up Dave. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Just seen the Sahara desert one a few minutes ago on Discovery. *hides inside camel* :eek: The intestines were just...lovely.

This series is very good so far and next weeks episode in Patagonia looks like agood one too. I see at the start of each show theres a message to remind people that some situations are set up to demenstrate different things to the viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

This isn't on C4 is it?

Advertisement