Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweaty saddle patch

Options
  • 14-06-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭

A question for the regs! Summer in London is significantly warmer than summer in Ireland and this time round I have no changing or locker facilities at work. On the inbound commute, particularly when traffic is heavy, I'm finding that a saddle shaped patch of sweat is forming on the ass of my trousers/shorts.

At the moment, I'm bringing a spare pair of trousers in my bag and putting them over my shorts for work, but that's far from ideal given it's 26C today, and getting warmer. What recommendations have you got to avoid sweaty ass on a 7 mile heavy-traffic cycle? I'd rather not replace my saddle, but I am considering it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

The sweat forms between both your butt cheeks, not much chance of getting ventilation to that spot, regardless of what saddle you use.

Baggy "bermuda" shorts without underwear probably work best, although it won't prevent it completely since it primarily allows ventilation of your crotch, rather than your butt.

Taking it significantly easier is another option, but that is usually not an attractive option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Best thread title ever on this forum, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

OOh, idea forming:

A saddle designed with a hollowed out section, place a little 80mm fan in. There ya go, would need a fan grill to stop the dangly bits gettin chopped off tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Good job I already have a 12V dynamo on my bike then, isn't it. I could install a switch: fan by day and light by night

(The idea isn't actually as ridiculous as it sounds, I have a spare fan, grille and my dynamo can do it!)

Realisticly though? I'm not a lyra-rider by the way, I'm wearing loose 3/4 length shorts usually when I cycle. Tomorrow I'll try it commando and see how it goes (London beware!)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    A saddle designed with a hollowed out section, place a little 80mm fan in. There ya go, would need a fan grill to stop the dangly bits gettin chopped off tho!
    Fan blades that close to your bits? O_O

Wear cotton boxers under babbgy shorts, get out of the saddle if you can, even for a few seconds at a time, bring some wipes to err wipe with and a fresh pair of boxers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Sorry to ask the obvious but I presume you have toilets in your work? Could you not change into clean clothes there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

... Like the original post says, I'm bringing in a spare pair of trousers at the moment, but I'd rather not have to carry loads of clothes in with me, and the toilets are pretty grotty, not somewhere you want to make a full change in....

Advertisement