Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in the EU with a provisional driving license

Options
  • 14-06-2007 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hoping to buy a camper van with two others for a European excursion this summer. The other two both hold full driving licenses but i'm still on my first provisional.

Just wondering if anyone knows if/ where i can drive with my provisional in Europe? I've been told that i can't drive anywhere outside the state but i suspect that is the default answer for someone who does not actually know...

Anyone actually know the story? I'm pretty sure i can drive in Albania for example...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

you definitely cant drive outside the state with a provisional. Its not a default answer. You can take your chances in Albania if you want to go that far!...

Is two drivers not enough? I dont think you'll get insurance on a camper with a provisional either, even as a named driver...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

it says on your provisional licence, that it is not valid outside of the state

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You could always chance your luck in the hope that the Albanian police officer doesn't read English. If he does, on the other hand, I hear Albanian prisons are not a particularly nice place to be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I remember a friend went to Hertz rental desk in the US and when they questioned his provisional license he told them that Provisional was a region in the South of the country. They accepted his awnswer and gave him the keys.
    I would not recommend driving on a provisional license in Europe mainly because your insurance would probably be null & void.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Vorak wrote:
    Hoping to buy a camper van with two others for a European excursion this summer. The other two both hold full driving licenses but i'm still on my first provisional.

I don't know of ANY insurance company over here that would insure you on a camper with a provisionaly, full stop :confused:

And if the licence actually states you can't drive outside the state, you're doubly fecked :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement