Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Limerick Improving? [Contains larg images]

Options
  • 14-06-2007 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Well, getting away from the predictable and tedious anger at the latest article knocking Limerick, should we ask ourselves if Limerick is improving? Is it safer? It is a better place now than it was a year ago? Has it found a new identity for itself or is it still locked in the stereotypical bleak midwest town mindset? What improvements, if any, have you seen? etc etc.

Is Limerick Improving? 47 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 47 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

What improvements, if any, have you seen? etc etc.

Bus Lanes and Cycle Lanes ..... we've never had so many ...... :p

Now if we only had an M&S ..... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yes, definitely!

The only things that annoy me about Limerick nowadays are the minor problems eg. Litter, Dereliction/state of buildings/streets and the minor scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Absolutely! The cityscape, the paved areas, the new buildings and so on are huge improvements.

There are a couple of areas that haven't been improved, such as the standard and choice of nightlife and some sporting facilities for us non-golfers (e.g. squash courts).

Unfortunately, some aspects have disimproved (e.g. traffic - caused by crap planning, particularly roads, for some of the retail parks and new housing developments).....WHY don't they put the infrastructure in FIRST, or make it a prerequisite for the granting of planning permission ? As part of the general trend nationwide and beyond, the presence of minor scumbags and loud, irritating people is increasing, but not in a huge way.

But overall, significant progress has been made, with more on the way, making Limerick, IMHO, a great place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I dont know there seems to be less scumbags around but has the media improved when it comes to talking about limerick, I think it has but a long way to go

As for the city itself in terms of infrastructure like buildings I think it has come on so much
    This is the best this city has ever been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

1huge1 wrote:
    I dont know there seems to be less scumbags around but has the media improved when it comes to talking about limerick, I think it has but a long way to go

As for the city itself in terms of infrastructure like buildings I think it has come on so much
    This is the best this city has ever been
    i totally agree with 1hugh1, this city has and still is going through a massive redevelopment, however its people that havent been to Limerick, ie dublin media, that just see a dirty city that will never change. i really love seeing peoples reactions when they go to Limerick, i was wit a couple of galway ppl last summer in Limerick and they were very suprised to see a propper "downtown" area by the tall dunnes ect, saying it definately has a propper city feel and thought that it was in fact a lot bigger than galway. but in my openion, your always going to get a bad review of limerick no matter what like!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

Yes, definitely!

The only things that annoy me about Limerick nowadays are the minor problems eg. Litter, Dereliction/state of buildings/streets and the minor scumbags.

the same can be said of Waterford , but we do not have the Dublin media on our backs.most Citys in this country suffer from the same problems, it just that limerick dirty washing is Washed by the dublin media in public.
    In order to change the image that limerick has, "you" the people of that great city have to portray the positive aspects of the city,the home of Munster rugby and for the matter the home of Irish rugby,great city to go shopping ,great weekend breaks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

D-A-V-E wrote:
    i totally agree with 1hugh1, this city has and still is going through a massive redevelopment, however its people that havent been to Limerick, ie dublin media, that just see a dirty city that will never change. i really love seeing peoples reactions when they go to Limerick, i was wit a couple of galway ppl last summer in Limerick and they were very suprised to see a propper "downtown" area by the tall dunnes ect, saying it definately has a propper city feel and thought that it was in fact a lot bigger than galway. but in my openion, your always going to get a bad review of limerick no matter what like!

That's a first!
    Someone from Galway acctually admitting the fact that Limerick is bigger.
    Most Galwegians refuse to take their head out of the sand on that matter!:D

The media interpretation of Limerick is not gonna change anytime soon, as the Dublin b(i)ased media is too lazy to open their eyes, and those that do, use Limerick to deflect attention away from Dublins horrible crime problem.

As for Limerick itself, I think there can be no doubt of the improvements.
    But at the same time there's still a long way to go.
    Luckily, from all the multiude of plans we've been shown, something is happening in that regards, so fingers crossed.

What we need right now is the long, long, long, overdue boundry extension!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

In fairness asking if Limerick has improved in a Limerick forum is always going to get a biased response.

That said anyone that knew the Limerick of the 80's has to be impressed with the transformation of the buildings in the city center. I travel through Limerick every day and never fail but to be impressed.

On the other side of the coin the scanger culture of city center is alive and well. And little seems to change there. It might be prevalent in every city in Ireland but it is a lot more visible in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I think it has improved greatly.

There are still a few areas that let the city and surrounding areas down though:

1. Cahill/May Roberts Building is just and eyesore

2. Sarsfield house. Needs something (a lick of paint?) done to it

3. That derelict petrol station on the Dublin Road, Castletroy (accross from the AIB bank)

4. There should be more bins provided and they should be emptied regularly

5. William street. This is an eyesore also

6. Noone bothers to take care of the buildings above the shops in the city centre. I read recently that they are passing a bill in the co. council that says that people who own these buildings need to maintain them or will be fined

7. Up by the crescent there on O Connell street there are some fabulous houses that could be made a feature of

8. Must say the standard of most pubs is quite high now, along with seating etc on the street. Have to say though that it would be quite nice if a new nightclub came along

9. Generally the city centre itself needs a face life. I heard along time ago that that "Stella" arcade was going to be knocked (with that stupid Las Vegas style fluoresent lighting) but nothing ever happened.

10. More general things for people to do. I dunno. A theme park? An indoors skiing place? A 365 days a year ice rink? A zoo!!!??????

11. Oh something I think that needs great major improvement is the train and bus station. Plus there is a derelict building near the station also (it was never rented/used) that is now an eyesore also. Smashed windows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Cahill May is going with the opera centre.

Sarsfield house cant be painted

All those ESSO stations are in the process of getting redeveloped

Cant but agree about the bins

Bus station is also up for major redevelopment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The empty building near the station is due to be knocked soon, as (afaik) are the 3 story council houses beside it, are are the council houses immediately beside the station, which will allow Limerick 37 properly re-develop Jackman Park.

As Sioda says, there is a new Bus depot being built and (I think) the car parking in front of the station is being removed. Also, there's a new entrance to the people's park being built on the corner opposite the station, which should open the park more. Parnell Street is still pretty grim though.

Supposedly one of Michael Lowry's demands to support the Gov was to open commuter rail between Limerick and nenagh, will be interesting to see if that helps with the improvements to the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

The city is lookin nice and thing are improving but the feud is still
    there and is only goin to get worse, so no its not improving for me.

Whats going to happen is a few murders and we are back at the start
    and that is going to happen soon.

Guys don't forget that a major overhaul of William St, O'Connell St, Patrick St, Cathrine St, and lower Henry St, as well as Clancy and O'Callaghan Strands is already provisioned for.

This includes sorting out the building facades, providing new bins, working in conjunction with retailers to remodel shop facades, improve lighting, and seating, and introduce a lot of trees to the city center, as well as much, much, more!
    This has already started on Bedford Row, and Thomas St, and is due to start on O'Connell St in August\September.
    That's when the new traffic layout is supposed to come into effect too.

In case ye've forgot, or not seen them, here's the .pdf's.
    (Obviously you'll need Adobe.;) )

William Street and O'Connell Street Plan

Upper Thomas Street/Catherine Street Plan

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt1

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt2

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt3

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt4

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt5

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt6

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt7

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt 8

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt9

Curragour Plan Pt1

Curragour Plan Pt2

Limerick is going to look amazing in 2-3 years (unless the council do a Galway, and f**k up like in Ayer Square and it takes years, and years!!!:( )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Amazo dont say that about Lowry too loud if the Thurles people knew this they would lynch him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

sioda wrote:
    Amazo dont say that about Lowry too loud if the Thurles people knew this they would lynch him ;)

Actually I was offered a job with him the other day would you believe (ROFL)...I declined!!

But I agree with him on the rail. The Dublin and Ballysimon Roads are choked with people coming from and going to Nenagh getting to work or home afterwards. It's a 2 way thing and would massively help the traffic problems around the city in the mornings. The tunnel will allieveiate the problem incoming fom the other direction.

Limerick is undergoing massive positive changes. It'll never be finished and that's what the best thing is...Limerick City planners seem to have embarked in an unendinng plan of making everything better and will probably start all over again when they run out of projects.

Sarsfield House is an eyesore and needs a wrecking ball more than it needs a lick of paint, but because of it's pivotal purpose it's unlikely the building could be emptied for 2-3 years. A dose of cladding would do no harm though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

ninty9er wrote:
    Actually I was offered a job with him the other day would you believe (ROFL)...I declined!!

But I agree with him on the rail. The Dublin and Ballysimon Roads are choked with people coming from and going to Nenagh getting to work or home afterwards. It's a 2 way thing and would massively help the traffic problems around the city in the mornings. The tunnel will allieveiate the problem incoming fom the other direction.

Limerick is undergoing massive positive changes. It'll never be finished and that's what the best thing is...Limerick City planners seem to have embarked in an unendinng plan of making everything better and will probably start all over again when they run out of projects.

Sarsfield House is an eyesore and needs a wrecking ball more than it needs a lick of paint, but because of it's pivotal purpose it's unlikely the building could be emptied for 2-3 years. A dose of cladding would do no harm though!!
    actually out by castletroy theres an ice rink being made at the mo! beside parkway retail park, and its not the tower beside aldi!

ya that tower is a hotel aint it

1huge1 wrote:
    ya that tower is a hotel aint it

Hotel and offiices AFAIK.

attachment-8.jpg

attachment-6.jpg

attachment-7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Yes cos I live there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

ninty9er wrote:

I dont think Sarsfield house in an eyesore....its not a pretty building but i wouldnt put it on the same level as the old munchin house, now that was an eye sore!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Guys don't forget that a major overhaul of William St, O'Connell St, Patrick St, Cathrine St, and lower Henry St, as well as Clancy and O'Callaghan Strands is already provisioned for.

This includes sorting out the building facades, providing new bins, working in conjunction with retailers to remodel shop facades, improve lighting, and seating, and introduce a lot of trees to the city center, as well as much, much, more!
    This has already started on Bedford Row, and Thomas St, and is due to start on O'Connell St in August\September.
    That's when the new traffic layout is supposed to come into effect too.

In case ye've forgot, or not seen them, here's the .pdf's.
    (Obviously you'll need Adobe.;) )

William Street and O'Connell Street Plan

Upper Thomas Street/Catherine Street Plan

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt1

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt2

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt3

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt4

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt5

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt6

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt7

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt 8

O'Callaghan Strand Plan Pt9

Curragour Plan Pt1

Curragour Plan Pt2

Limerick is going to look amazing in 2-3 years (unless the council do a Galway, and f**k up like in Ayer Square and it takes years, and years!!!:( )

I've only worked through a couple of the above links so far but I must say some of the ideas look really impressive .... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Ahhh i knew they were doing something.......

On the left on the way in to the city at the Parkway Retail, they have put up all the boards (no pun!).

That would be really cool! Few more things now - anyone for a zoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Txatxu Urki

City now looks great coming in over the shannon bridge..one or two more ugly buildings to knock and were laughing.
    Dont stand too long though in any spot in the city centre, or they could build an apartment block on your head!
    hate to see what happens when this constuction craze dies down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ifiwasonlyrich

No improvements unless on the job front, or education front.

Was at Limerick v Tipp match in GAA grounds, was appalled at carry on of some Limerick supporters. Since when has GAA turned into English Soccer?! Was originally hoping, for the team sake, Limerick would win, really thought they were the hungrier and better team, but after full cans of coke being thrown at outsiders, along with lighting cigarettes, its only affirmed to outsiders, that Limerick is 'scumbag' city. Notably it was a percentage (over half) that behavied in this manner, but we're all going to be branded with that brush now. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Was at Limerick v Tipp match in GAA grounds, was appalled at carry on of some Limerick supporters. Since when has GAA turned into English Soccer?! Was originally hoping, for the team sake, Limerick would win, really thought they were the hungrier and better team, but after full cans of coke being thrown at outsiders, along with lighting cigarettes, its only affirmed to outsiders, that Limerick is 'scumbag' city. Notably it was a percentage (over half) that behavied in this manner, but we're all going to be branded with that brush now. :mad:

I was at both games in Gaelic Grounds, in the Limerick end, and you're speaking absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Those Future plans Look amazing!
    Once everything is done could look like
    one ultra modern City and stand out from
    the rest.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I was down there last summer passing through on the way to Kerry and the place has definitely improved.What I like about Limerick is they seem to have broken the taboo with tall buildings that Ireland has.

Waterford and Limerick has a lot in common regarding media atitudes.Limerick is unfairly treated regarding crime reporting and Waterford general ignorance in the media.I think this is a lot to do with the fact that Dublin and Cork and Galway are disproportionally represented in the media.I also think Galway gets a very easy ride by the media.Instead we get all year round the Galway races,Art festivals,Salthill air show,Macnas and never hear the negatives.This is obviously to protect the tourist industry.

ok your clearly trying to cause hassle because that is a load of crap
    mad man wrote:
    I was down there last summer passing through on the way to Kerry and the place has definitely improved.What I like about Limerick is they seem to have broken the taboo with tall buildings that Ireland has.

Waterford and Limerick has a lot in common regarding media atitudes.Limerick is unfairly treated regarding crime reporting and Waterford general ignorance in the media.I think this is a lot to do with the fact that Dublin and Cork and Galway are disproportionally represented in the media.I also think Galway gets a very easy ride by the media.Instead we get all year round the Galway races,Art festivals,Salthill air show,Macnas and never hear the negatives.This is obviously to protect the tourist industry.

yes i agree you always hear galway being mentioned before limerick and it doesnt make sense, and yes waterford barely even gets a mention at all

Yeah, well I was in Cork last week and I was stabbed 79 times!

And the last time I was in Dublin, I got shot in the head! Twice!!!

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

yes waterford is just the best place to live !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

think happy,be happy and happeness will follow

Advertisement