Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old fileserver

Options
  • 14-06-2007 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

my dad offered me an old file server cause he's replacing one and i thought what the hell, might aswell take it. i havent got it yet but im not sure what to do with it. all i know is its running windows 2000 server, 4 gigs ram and a dat drive, if its the one im thinking of it has 3 removable HDs. i believe its 5 years old

i have a pretty good pc that i made but im not sure if its gonna be worth my time

how much would i be able to sell it for? or could i get any use out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Don't expect to play any games on it as servers don't usually have AGP/PCIe x16 slots. Also the hard disks will probably be pretty small (16 or 32 gigs each, or less!), and SCSI, so it may be prohibitively expensive to replace them when they fail.

If it's a rack-mountable server it's probably going to be hella loud too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Bluenarf

throw it on ebay, you might get €150 for it, or more if its rack mountable..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You could always salvage the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Reminds me of a server I kept in a shed, keep it and learn from it :)

Advertisement