Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another one bites the dust

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

In fairness, calling your OS Lindows, this was pretty inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

In fairness, calling your OS Lindows, this was pretty inevitable.

How exactly?

It means you want to make your OS as windows "friendly" as possible.

I remember when it first came out, the UI was made to look like XP.

Even though they've changed name (and presumably the UI) it gives a hint to the origins of the project i.e. a windows clone not a standalone Linux distro.

And if you're looking to make a windows clone, who better to make a deal with than Microsoft themselves.. especially considering SuSe (who weren't trying all that "Lindows" crap) have already done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Do you believe that this is bad for Linux? Or for Linux users?

Allegations of "infringement of unspecified patents" carry no weight whatsoever

It's comforting to know that the most popular distribution at the moment is probably the most GPL compliant, and therefore the one least scared of empty threats from Microsoft.

What other distributions do is up to them, it may even lead to better integration with Windows applications, which can only lead to good things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Allegations of "infringement of unspecified patents" carry no weight whatsoever

It's comforting to know that the most popular distribution at the moment is probably the most GPL compliant, and therefore the one least scared of empty threats from Microsoft.

What other distributions do is up to them, it may even lead to better integration with Windows applications, which can only lead to good things.
    Good things for who though? Personally I would prefer to see more and more OSS/FOSS applications for Linux.

The next versions of Linspire and Freespire will be based on Ubuntu.
    (Linspire already uses some Ubuntu code I believe)
    which may or not be comforting depending on your viewpoint:

http://www.linspire.com/linspire_letter_archives.php?id=40

I would say that Slackware is probably less scared than Ubuntu, now.
    It is not the most popular distribution right now, but that could change.

Advertisement