Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theory question!

• 14-06-2007 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

I hope I can say this clearly enough! I recently started looking at scales and I'm new to theory. I'm having trouble relating the major scale (as in take a note and apply WWHWWWH, to get the notes in that key) to the patterns of the major scale on the fretboard. The major scale is built on CAGED. I know that. And that C, A, G, E and D are the five shapes to be found in the major scale, but I'm really dodgy on where CAGED comes from and what it really is.
    My main question is this; how does the major scale actually apply to the fretboard with regard to scales and all that?
    An explanation on CAGED applying to all of this would be great too though that may be pushing it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

The W stand for 2 frets and the H stands for 1 fret.
    W is Whole tone...as in a 2 fret jump.......and H is Half Tone....so move up 1 fret on the neck to the next note in the scale.

It is not a system i use.....just learn the scales inside out and you won't need to worry about W's and H's.

Take your 5 scale shapes for each key in major form......and go up and down through the scale from low E string to high e string and back again.
    Always start and finish on the key (root) note....even if this note is not on the low E string. That is very important....and is were i and others have made mistakes.

As for the CAGED chord system.........the 5 are the open chords.
    These are the 5 chord shapes that you can use up the neck.

First is C....play it open. Then move the whole shape up 1 fret.
    Sounds tricky...and is because you can't play open string for this one. You must bar all of the first fret with your index (first) finger.....then bar the other 3 notes with your other 3 fingers. It is a tough stretch for a beginner.....but you will be a better all rounder. This chord is no longer C.....it is C#. Do the same again....as in move that very shape up 1 more fret......it becomes D.

Next is A.....play this open chord style....then move the shape up.....you must bar the first fret with the index finger again. This becomes A#.

Do the same with G E and D

E and A are the easiest and most commonly used....but if you can do the other 3....you will be a better guitarist.

Very tough stretching for a beginner....but even Jimi had these problems starting off......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Right, I knew pretty much all of that. I guess I phrased myself badly. It's interesting you say just learn the scales. Would I not need to learn every note in every key to be able to then play in it if I wanted to? I don't see how scales can help me do that. Thanks for the advice on practice. I'd still like to know how the theory actually applies. I'm talking specifics. How are the shapes/patterns derived? And the role CAGED plays with this.
    Ah, I may well be talking ****. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clivert

well i think you've got the right approach to it. Its pretty straightforward lashing out 3 chords with a minor thrown in but its hugely beneficial knowing how the chords are constructed. This helps in deciphering chords later on and if you know the scales you can work out what notes are in more complicated chord shapes eg 6add9 7sus4. Basically you're better off reading a site dedicated to such things www.museweb.com/ag/chord_form.html www.all-guitar-chords.com. The major scale and chord is the easiest place to start. As you said the scale is based on the interval: tone, tone, semi-tone, tone, tone, tone semi-tone. In the scale of Cmaj this equates to C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C. On a piano this correspond to all the white notes i.e. no sharps or flats. The major chord then is composed of the root note (C) the third note (E) and the fifth (G). This can be applied to all the major scales.

'In the scale of Cmaj this equates to C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C.' Right! And I can understand the chord then being formed. Now, I may be on completely the wrong track as to my thinking but, looking at this:

http://www.justinguitar.com/html/chords_scales_html/Scale_Major.html

I've been using this sight to get to grips with the basics if theory. Now if you look at the five different patterns I can see the chord shapes in each pattern but where are the pattens themselves coming from? The 17 notes in each pattern. What is there origin? I get the feeling my logic is a little off but this would really help. I'm one of those people who has to understand everything!
    Thanks for all the help so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Just a note on the scale shapes.

You learn the shapes and not each note. The scales are moveable....so you don't need to know every note to get started. Remember the root notes....start and finish on each scale with this note when you practice......learn them until you can play them with your eyes closed.

Sorry for stating the obvious earlier.
    I thought you were just begining.

• Advertisement

No prob Darren. Thanks for that. I'll just keep plugging away, I guess! :D

Advertisement