Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cullen gets Social, Community and Family Affairs

• 14-06-2007 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

So, reactions? Demotion? Promotion? Neither?

Seems to me to be a shuffle sideways. He's still in cabinet, which is the most important thing for Waterford.

Puts to bed this lie that he's marginal within the cabinet and that he's one step away from being dropped from the team. Obviously there was someone closer to the brink than he was, i.e. poor oul' Dick Roche!

Hanafin is still in Education, so the university thing will probably remain parked for another five years :mad:

Dempsey in Transport is a good thing for us though. Despite the presence of the Greens, the not-yet-started sections of the N9 are not now likely to be dropped. Dempsey, if I recall correctly, was the person who originally provided funding to the Outer Ring Road here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I still cant believe Cullen got back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He's not been dropped for geographic reasons I'd say.

As for the post - a move slightly down while going sideways.

I heard someone suggest earlier today that Roche could stay in a new Integration/Immigration ministry. I nearly crashed!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I'm still trying to digest it tbh.The important thing is that he is still a senior cabinet member which means he will be involved in the decision making process and therefore have influence on strategic decisions.In other words what goes where.

Its disapointing in one respect that he is no longer in transport especially now its being beefed up because he will no longer be in control of the finances in this area.However I think Ahern was under real pressure to bring in new blood.Considering the huge polls that people like O'Dea delivered and the three seats in Carlow/KK I think all things considered this isn't a bad result.

Pro's

Greens are not in Transport,
    Howlin and Hogan are in opposition,
    Still a senior ministry.
    He will be out of the mediua spotlight and maybe able to rebuild his reputation.
    This might actually be a good portfolio for Cullen.

Cons,

Social and Family afairs hasn't got the same profile as Transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Demotion for cullen no doubt about it!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

A sideways and slightly downward move I think. An acknowledgement that he is a basically decent minister (despite criticism of him dating to back to his early time in Environment) but a also a move designed to pacify the Dublin media who have had him in their sights since day one.

We still have our vital seat at the table (vital until a university is delivered in any case) and Cullen is no longer in a position where all the problems of the world can be blamed on him. Hopefully he will earn some kudos whilst out of the firing line -- transport not being the cushy number that it used to be.

A good day for the future of Waterford, as much it pains me that cabinet seats make such a big difference to constituencies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Still can't believe he got in to cabinet - though him and roche would be gonners.

Is his new portfolio carry a huge budget, therefore not much of a demotion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Mr Ed wrote:
    Still can't believe he got in to cabinet - though him and roche would be gonners.

Is his new portfolio carry a huge budget, therefore not much of a demotion?

It does carry a huge budget only there isn't afaik (although I could be wrong here) much scope to show favouritism in resources to Waterford.Its not as if he can give single parents in Waterford more money than their equivelent in say Dublin.He was able to do things like that in Environment and Transport.The important thing is that he is in the cabinet and will have input into decisions and therfore make sure government policy includes Waterford for the next five years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

mad man wrote:
    It does carry a huge budget only there isn't afaik (although I could be wrong here) much scope to show favouritism in resources to Waterford.Its not as if he can give single parents in Waterford more money than their equivelent in say Dublin.He was able to do things like that in Environment and Transport.The important thing is that he is in the cabinet and will have input into decisions and therfore make sure government policy includes Waterford for the next five years.

I came to the same conclusion Mad Man.... this could be a way to get Cullen out of the public limelight when University Status is announced.

2.5 years later he is appointed to Education and gives massive grants to developing University of the S.E:D

Advertisement