Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clams and Pheasant Pate??

• 14-06-2007 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭

Hey recently I've been trying with no luck to find some fresh clams. I've tried every possible place to get them, the only place that seems to do them is some place out in Howth called Wrights or something. I of course don't want to go out there everytime I want some clams, and definitely don't want frozen clams. So does anybody know of any places that sell clams? Preferably in town or near Sandymount.

Also, when I was living in France when I was a kid, I fell in love with what I think was Pheasant Pate. It was a purpleish/pink colour and tasted unbelievably good. Anybody know where I might succeed in getting that?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You could try Fallon & Byrne. The site is under construction but the contact details and address are all there. I love calling in when I'm in the capital, they're great for these type of delicacies. I know they have Oysters, not sure about clams though, give them a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hey recently I've been trying with no luck to find some fresh clams. I've tried every possible place to get them, the only place that seems to do them is some place out in Howth called Wrights or something. I of course don't want to go out there everytime I want some clams, and definitely don't want frozen clams. So does anybody know of any places that sell clams? Preferably in town or near Sandymount.
    Have you tried the fish shops on the main street in Dun Laoghaire? There's also a guy at the end of one of the piers who sells fish, not sure exactly where, but anyone in DL will probably know.

There's a new fish shop opened up recently in Bray, run by a couple of Chinese guys, and I've seen clams for sale there. When I was chatting with him the other day, he said he got most of his fish in DL somewhere. I'm probably popping down there today, so if I remember I'll ask him where he gets them from.

Pheasant Pate definitely sounds like a Fallon & Byrne kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Cheers for the posts. I have tried F+B for clams which they didn't have unfortunately. Will check for pheasant pate next time I'm there(along with some snails I want to buy) but I really don't think they will have it.

Will try DL Alun, never thought about there. I'm really hoping to get the pheasant pate so any more suggestions for posh places like F+B would be helpful as they prob the only place that might have it.

If you are known to a good local fish mongers I'd be surprised if they wouldn't try and source the clams for you with some notice.

A lot of these places have them available to them but don't buy them due to turn-over, ask the question.

I'm visiting a new store this evening in Louth, I'll let you know if they have Pheasant Paté or if they can get it. Ask in Fallon & Byrne if they can source it for you in the mean time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They had some fresh clams in the fish shop in Bray today. He says he gets them where he gets all his fish, from a big wholesale fish market on an industrial estate in Blanchardstown. Even if the fish places in Dun Laoghaire don't have them, they could probably get them in for you I'd guess.

I guess the place in Bray is probably a bit far for you to go, but for reference it's in the shopping arcade that runs from Bray Main Street up to the back of the Herbert Rd. car park. The Village Gate Arcade or something like that.

• Advertisement

That shop I was checking didn't have it. I'll keep an eue out though.

BTW. When I first seen the thread title I thought it was going to be about a disgusting type of paté ie. Clam & Pheasant Paté :D

cheers for all the help guys. it's like my mission to get clams + pheasant pate over the summer.

going to ask the fish mongerers near me about clams, and in blackrock shopping centre since go there a lot.
    When I first seen the thread title I thought it was going to be about a disgusting type of paté ie. Clam & Pheasant Paté
    Clam and pheasant pate eh....now there's an idea :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I saw pheasant pate at the Craft Fair in the RDS as Christmas. The guys who were selling it were from NI but I think they do a lot of fairs and markets. I think they're called Maison de Gourmets.

cheers for that tSubh Dearg, you are a legend. time to go hunting!!

I was in Fallon and Byrne today and managed to get clams much to my surprise. I also got aioli sauce which Gordon Ramsay recommends, which turned out to be great for them. So for clams, if your in town check out F+B, and make sure you get some aioli sauce as it really is great.

I also asked the guy at the meat counter if he knew where I could get pheasant pate, the look on his face was priceless. He had no idea but he did say there were actual pheasants over there if I wanted to try make pate myself, which I may just actually do in a month or two when I try making chicken pate first.

So I'm pretty happy right about now, clams are just so lovely to eat, far better than mussels. My next mission is to get that pheasant pate, wish me luck!! And if somebody knows of a place in Dublin, it might save me the hassle of going to Northern Ireland to get some ;)

Well failing you finding them before Christmas, they'll be back at the craft fair at then. Actually you might find the right name for them on the list of participants for 2006 as I may have the name wrong.

Their stall was amazing, huge range of cheeses, pates, salamis and olive stuff. All delicious.

Did a quick google for you there and it seems that superquinn might stock it and that the company Epicure seems to do one. :)

• Advertisement

cheers for that tSubh Dearg, you are a legend. time to go hunting!!

I was in Fallon and Byrne today and managed to get clams much to my surprise. I also got aioli sauce which Gordon Ramsay recommends, which turned out to be great for them. So for clams, if your in town check out F+B, and make sure you get some aioli sauce as it really is great.

I also asked the guy at the meat counter if he knew where I could get pheasant pate, the look on his face was priceless. He had no idea but he did say there were actual pheasants over there if I wanted to try make pate myself, which I may just actually do in a month or two when I try making chicken pate first.

So I'm pretty happy right about now, clams are just so lovely to eat, far better than mussels. My next mission is to get that pheasant pate, wish me luck!! And if somebody knows of a place in Dublin, it might save me the hassle of going to Northern Ireland to get some ;)

Result, great stuff. Keep up the search. I´m in the north regularly so If you want me to have a look somewhere round Newry let me know.

cheers for the help you guys. yeah would be great if you could have a look around Mr Magnolia, I have relatives in the north who I see a lot so would be handy to know

will try superquinn also. will let you know what my travels yield.

Update for you!

Today, I saw pheasant pate in Mortens (just up from the Beechwood Luas stop on the Green Line). It was in the fridges up the back by their fruit and veg.

haha cheers for the post, am definitely checking that out this week. is Mortens some big supermarket/butcher place? Donnybrook Fair I hear is quite a good place to try for stuff like that(aint been there yet, keep meaning to).

Since you guys have been really helpful, anybody have an idea where I could get Toulouse Sausages? Once you have tried the Toulouse Sausage and lentils dish in Chez Macs, or the Toulouse dish in L'Guelueton you will fall in love with them. There's probably a chance they are at Fallon and Byrne, but if anybody knows anywhere else I'd love to know(they definitely not at superquinn).

btw I also had duck pate there recently which was a pleasant surprise for any of you pate lovers out there.

I love duck pate! M&S do a really good duck liver pate.

Oh and you can get Toulouse sausages from Lawlor's butcher's on the Upper Rathmines Road, they're my local butchers and they have gorgeous meaty products. They're almost next door to Fothergills who also sell many tasty things. (I love their lemon mousse.)

Mortons is a supermarket of sorts, it's just up the road from the Luas station at Beechwood. You can't miss it.

Advertisement