Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Roundy House - Cork gone snobby???

Options
  • 14-06-2007 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of moving back to Cork from Dublin after 12 years. Was in town today with the wife on her first week down (she is not from Cork) and as we were passing the Roundy House she wanted to stop off for a coffee and I wanted a beer so in we went.

There was me in a Munster jersey in the middle of the day in town quite happy to be back in Cork. In we go only to be asked to leave by the staff as "sports jerseys" including Munster jerseys are not allowed. Are they for f*&king real???
    Middle of the day and they are asking people to leave? Who the hell do they think they are? Is this the way Cork has gone?

This has NEVER happened to ma anywhere in Dublin which I would almost expect. But Cork..god no..we are all too snobby for you to come in here.

F*&k them...god I hope this isn't the attitude in Cork these days as that is the most ridiculous thing I have even encountered. Let's just say the wifes impression of Cork has gone down a hell of a lot because of this stupidness.

Anyone know if this is actually what is going on in Cork these days or is this just a **** snob pub which should be avoided at all costs unless you are a pretentious wanker???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

**** snot pub I reckon. You should have kicked their head in on general principles.

Welcome back btw.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

This is not not the general attitude in Cork, I've never seen this before and I agree that it is insane. I could understand if it was at night, but there is no justification for this during the day. You should have turned the jersey inside out and told them to **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yep....at night I could almost understand. Day time...f*ck off. To be honest I just told them they were retarded, turned around and walked out. Wasn't going to spend a penny in there!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, there seems to be a rising number of places going for the snobby knobend approach lately though I'm surprised to have it come up during the day. Soho and that place on Paul street next to Waterstones whose name I can never remember are a couple of other places I've found doormen to be particularly knobby in the same way.

Regarding the Roundy, we'll see how long they last with that attitude, it's changed name and owners at least twice in the last couple of years as it is, and I dont think the snob market is that strong in cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Fysh wrote:
    on Paul street next to Waterstones whose name I can never remember are a couple of other places I've found doormen to be particularly knobby in the same way.
    The Newport or the Woodford or both? SoHo is just a restaurant isn't it? I have never been in there, but am curious as to what kind of snobbery they exhibit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Suprised to hear that about the Roundy. Its always the place I go to at the start of a night out because its a pub where all of us can go and meet up with a relaxed vibe in the place with a very mixed crowd. Never considered it snobby. The last time I was in there at night I was with a friend who was wearing a rugby jersey! Bouncers must be worse during the day!

PS: Welcome Back. Loads of people seem to be returning. Great vibe to the place as well at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ah Ludo in fairness tell the full story, tell everyone here who you really are, a thug who likes to go into nice pubs full of nice people talking about art and the green party and just cause trouble. Nothin but a scut :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

That's mad, kicking you out in the middle of the day...

I was inside in the mardyke couple of weeks ago, it was around 8 or so, was playing pool with some buddies... Anyway, there were 2 guys down from us who were shabbily dressed (football shirt for 1 guy, other guy had a shirt and tracksuit pants on (classy)) A bouncer came up to them and just mentioned to them that they'd have to leave around 9ish, which seems fair enough, they didn't mind at all...

That sort of attitude (mardyke) seems 100% ok with me, they can't have a dress code in middle of day... I think that us boardsies should boycot the place or something, pretentious snobs...

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote:
    ... I think that us boardsies should boycot the place or something, pretentious snobs...

I agree, I hate that sort of nonsense. I won't be going in there again anyway. Cork is too small a place to be carrying on like that if you wanna succeed owning such a small bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i wore a jersey in the mutton lane once, the barman said to not come back in again wearing it... havent gone back since, nor would i want to..

i hate that snobbish attitude, and has been mentioned in previous posts, it seems to be growing in pubs around cork

The Woodford is especially bad. My brother was refused entrance recently because he was wearing a hoody. He and his friends went round to the other door of the bar and were granted entry by the bouncers on that door. On their way out later they went out by the door they were previously refused entry by and passed the bouncer who initially refused them entry. He practically had a heart attack when he saw my brother with his hood up and told him he was barred. What a langer.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Ahhm Cork has been like this for a while now!The bars on Grand Parade/Washington street and that general area seem to take it a lot more seriously than others!Don't call me snobbish but i don't mind this "preference".A lot of bars prefer to attract classy. well-to-do people.And you can't do that when people are wearing tracksuits etc.It's their rules and they probably prefer people who put a little extra effort into presenting themselves.It's not like their asking you to wear Armani suits, just casual/dressy clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

sure, but the Woodford is a dive inside.
    Messy cigarette burned seats, filthy glasses and poor food, and that's just how it was yesterday afternoon.
    Plus they won't serve coffee after 6!

It's all very well to try to be discerning, but you have to live up to the image you're trying to portray.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Seconded - there's not a single venue in Cork that puts the time, money and effort into actually maintaining an establishment that could actually justify a smart dresscode. The Woodford seems to think it's a high-class establishment in the middle of London rather than a second-rate pub with crap seats and a selection of DJs who mistakenly think they're any good. Likewise Soho takes itself very seriously as a classy establishment, but is basically Havana Browns with different colour seats.

Wanting to attract "well-to-do" customers is all very well, but a good way to start is by not packing the venue to the gills so that you end up spilling half your over-priced pint over other punters while moving from the bar to wherever it is you're sitting. Having non-cockheads for doormen is a useful tip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

blow69 wrote:
    Don't call me snobbish but i don't mind this "preference".A lot of bars prefer to attract classy. well-to-do people.And you can't do that when people are wearing tracksuits etc.

So you mean to say that anybody who wears a tracksuit is automatically not well-to-do??? I'm sorry now but you say don't call you snobbish and then follow up with that?

I see nothing at all wrong with people wearing tracksuits or whatever they want going into a pub in the middle of the day... That's the point of the OP...

deRanged wrote:
    sure, but the Woodford is a dive inside.
    Messy cigarette burned seats, filthy glasses and poor food, and that's just how it was yesterday afternoon.
    Plus they won't serve coffee after 6!

It's all very well to try to be discerning, but you have to live up to the image you're trying to portray.

Totally agree. It seems pubs in Cork think by being picky at the door they will establish a better venue with nicer people etc...not the case, pubs who aim to target the discerning punter needs to deliver on many counts. The interior needs to be nice & comfortable, well kept (no fag burns!), staff must be nice and courteous and serve quality drinks, toilets spotless etc..Cork pubs need to catch up with certain Dublin Pubs if they want to carry on like that.

Instead I think pubs in Cork should do what they do best, provide a nice friendly atmosphere with 'Character'. Many pubs are losing their individual feel because of such snobby silly rules etc..the Irish pub is a dying breed IMO.

blow69 wrote:
    Don't call me snobbish but i don't mind this "preference".A lot of bars prefer to attract classy. well-to-do people.And you can't do that when people are wearing tracksuits etc.It's their rules and they probably prefer people who put a little extra effort into presenting themselves.It's not like their asking you to wear Armani suits, just casual/dressy clothes

Point nicely missed there blow69. So now people have to "dress up" to go shopping in the middle of the day so they actually appear well-to-do in case they want to go for a drink break.

Surprised they don't ask for a credit report and bank statements before allowing admittance if this is the attitude to weed out the fake "well-to-doers".

Instead I think pubs in Cork should do what they do best, provide a nice friendly atmosphere with 'Character'. Many pubs are losing their individual feel because of such snobby silly rules etc..the Irish pub is a dying breed IMO.

Couldn't agree more scut boy. I hope you don't intend going to a pub today though...they will never let you in!

These new trendy pubs are such a crock of sh*t. Good old fashioned pubs are definitely the best places to go for a chat and a bit of athmosphere. Unfortunately they are becoming few and far between. The attitude now seems to ber "pack em in" and don't provide anywhere to sit or put your pint down so people will drink quicker.

Next thing you know we won't be able to have a nice relaxing smoke in pubs anymore...DOH!!!!!

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote:
    Couldn't agree more scut boy. I hope you don't intend going to a pub today though...they will never let you in!

yeah I know...unless I was in Capetown of JoBurg!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Illkillya wrote:
    This is not not the general attitude in Cork, I've never seen this before and I agree that it is insane. I could understand if it was at night, but there is no justification for this during the day. You should have turned the jersey inside out and told them to **** off.

gay friendly pubs (the roundy) are notorious for this type of snobbery, might be to protect the clientele...can have sports supporters going in and asking to put on the match while the afternoon show is on...:eek:

but that only my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Consistency is another thing about these pubs that annoys me.
    Went to the Raven a couple of months ago around half 7, to wait for a friend who was late. I was dressed well, shirt etc. No bouncer. There was about ten people in the bar. Ordered a pint of Murphy's, half way through the pour yer man asks for ID. I tell him I'm 22, he says sorry, 23's. He says there's a sign on the door (must have been small!), and that he wasn't being a prick, it was policy. I said sure you aren't, and left.

Went in there last week, bouncer on the door, wasn't carded, went in and ordered three pints of Erdinger (not all for me obv).

I know I was slightly O.T. there with age v dress code but you get the idea. The ironic thing is the uncle was telling me what the Raven was like in the 70's, full of dockers, hookers and alcoholics, early in the morning:) No dress code then hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

Arent rubgy shirts a favoured item of clothing among snobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Davedubh wrote:
    Arent rubgy shirts a favoured item of clothing among snobs?

ah that rugby snobbery thing.... that's only a Dublin/leinster thing where only the select few play/follow rugby.

not down here in Munster,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mac1970

Theres only 1 pub in Cork worth going to if you want to wear what you want when you want and that is Costigans on Washington Street'Go in during the day and you will be well looked after by Mary one of the nicest barmaids I have met(was in the bar business for 10 years all over Europe) and with 4 or 5 Tvs qulaity smoking area out the back there is nothing there you will want for

• Registered Users Posts: 44 al_g

dulpit wrote:
    So you mean to say that anybody who wears a tracksuit is automatically not well-to-do??? I'm sorry now but you say don't call you snobbish and then follow up with that?

I see nothing at all wrong with people wearing tracksuits or whatever they want going into a pub in the middle of the day... That's the point of the OP...
    Anybody witness the hilarious skanger fad of wearing pyjama bottoms to shopping centres? Saw a bunch of foreigners sniggering at this one in Mahon Point class! not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

mac1970 wrote:
    Theres only 1 pub in Cork worth going to if you want to wear what you want when you want and that is Costigans on Washington Street'Go in during the day and you will be well looked after by Mary one of the nicest barmaids I have met(was in the bar business for 10 years all over Europe) and with 4 or 5 Tvs qulaity smoking area out the back there is nothing there you will want for

Ah a fellow Costigans head :) If they ever close or change that pub I'm never going back to Cork! I almost shed a tear when they extended it!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Good Lord. There was a trio outside the Roundy last Friday evening and one of them looked like she failed the audition for Julia Roberts part in Pretty Woman. Based on that I would have thought that a Munster jersey would be acceptable (assuming i was the latest version of course ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 al_g

parsi wrote:
    Good Lord. There was a trio outside the Roundy last Friday evening and one of them looked like she failed the audition for Julia Roberts part in Pretty Woman. Based on that I would have thought that a Munster jersey would be acceptable (assuming i was the latest version of course ;) )
    Yeah women look spectacularly tarty these days especially the douglas bimbos out to grab a daddys boy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement