Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Roundy House - Cork gone snobby???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It's great, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

ClareBear wrote:
    Ah a fellow Costigans head :) If they ever close or change that pub I'm never going back to Cork! I almost shed a tear when they extended it!
    Costigans just hasnt been the same since it was extended. I used to be in there a lot before but could probably count on one hand the number of times I've been there since :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

well i gotta say ive found the pubs in cork to be startlingly UN-snobby.

right so 2 years ago ish three of us finish a day in college and head into town. its lashing rain and middle of winter so the craving for a cup of coffee hits us. nearest pub is o D's (which is now cubiculo) so we saunter in, jeans, bags, and wetness and ask for 3 coffees, the guy stares at us then demands ID. for cofee.. so two of us hand him garda id one guy only has college id. he says he only takes garda id and the 3 of us have to leave. what a total **** **** **** faced wanker. oh yeah there was ONE other guy in the pub.. ffs

so we started wondering where else would refuse us.. and this started off the coffee testing of old man pubs in cork city.
    we turn up looking like students at about 6.30 on a wednesday kinda thing where there are a few customers but the place isnt packed and order coffees. then everything is scored, accordingly. taste, speed, friendliness, athmosphere, price etc..

we've now been to approx 70 (yeah seventy, can you name that many?) in just the city center. limits being about barracks st/northmall/ucc/bus station. roughly that square.

and only one place off my mind has turned us down with out good reason. the mutton lane in. twice. TWICE!!! now that pub.. can just **** off.

iirc the courthouse tavern is in the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I have been to only a few Pubs in town. I was refused entry once but I was well pissed as I was and can't remember where it was.

I have to say though the most unsnobby pub is Waxys and that is where my favourite bouncer works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

I have been to only a few Pubs in town. I was refused entry once but I was well pissed as I was and can't remember where it was.

I have to say though the most unsnobby pub is Waxys and that is where my favourite bouncer works.

unsonobby is right, that place is wall to wall scabs and low life's. did ya ever see the state of the ould dolls that go in there.......ohhhhhhhh man rough as fcuk.

• Advertisement

mawk wrote:
    and only one place off my mind has turned us down with out good reason. the mutton lane in. twice. TWICE!!! now that pub.. can just **** off.

that is one great spot, atmosphere is fantastic and the music can only be described as epic.
    best spot in the city for me, but then again I'm not really into those snobby, camp, politically correct sh~tholes that play crap music and that false/fake atmosphere that seems to be gripping innercity pubs,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Whenever I go home I find the pubs way out of kilter with what they are. No white runners, no runners at all, no nothing. I'd go to posh pubs in Dublin without getting any of the hassle you'd get in Cork wearing casual clothes. If you're not wearing those horrible Dubarry shoes and a pink shirt with a navy Tommy Hilfiger jumper you just get stared at by the bouncers in Cork. I find it hilarious and tragic at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

I'm surprised to hear that about the roundy. I've dealt with them putting on some events and I've always found them sound to deal with. There is a good vibe around Cork at the mo - I'd hate to see that kind of attitude coming in and killing it.

shnaek wrote:
    I'm surprised to hear that about the roundy. I've dealt with them putting on some events and I've always found them sound to deal with. There is a good vibe around Cork at the mo - I'd hate to see that kind of attitude coming in and killing it.

ass holes....the owners both of them .... they are so out of it its not funny....id say their piss is worth 10k on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 al_g

It's great, isn't it?

do u reckon its great? and why are u asking me for confirmation insecurity issues? lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Xiangjiao

Ludo wrote: »
    I am in the process of moving back to Cork from Dublin after 12 years. Was in town today with the wife on her first week down (she is not from Cork) and as we were passing the Roundy House she wanted to stop off for a coffee and I wanted a beer so in we went.

There was me in a Munster jersey in the middle of the day in town quite happy to be back in Cork. In we go only to be asked to leave by the staff as "sports jerseys" including Munster jerseys are not allowed. Are they for f*&king real???
    Middle of the day and they are asking people to leave? Who the hell do they think they are? Is this the way Cork has gone?

This has NEVER happened to ma anywhere in Dublin which I would almost expect. But Cork..god no..we are all too snobby for you to come in here.

F*&k them...god I hope this isn't the attitude in Cork these days as that is the most ridiculous thing I have even encountered. Let's just say the wifes impression of Cork has gone down a hell of a lot because of this stupidness.

Anyone know if this is actually what is going on in Cork these days or is this just a **** snob pub which should be avoided at all costs unless you are a pretentious wanker???

Wow, get over it. Seriously. Fancy that, a public house refusing service because of sportswear. What is the world coming to?

The funny thing is that (a) the owner is a massive Rugby fan (a real rugby fan, not one of these fly-by-night johnny-come-lately bandwagon hoppers which we have become plagued with), but does not appreciate people in sports gear on the main premises- with some exceptions; his upstairs room will be set-aside especially for Munster fans, many in shirts, today- and for events like the football world cup, but again- upstairs, in the other room, separate from the main bar. But other than than, it is very much not a sports bar.

And (b), you and your type would be the first person to start balling, if, god forbid, a scobe walked into Scotts in a lacoste tracksuit or Liverpool shirt while you were enjoying your afternoon capuccino or a gin and ton-ton.

Some pubs do not want their tone lowered by frauds sporting the colours of whatever bandwagon happens to be in vogue turning up; on the other hand, the lions share of pubs in Cork have no problem with this. So next time, instead of whingeing, leave the sports gear for the sports field (or big occasion), or go to Reardens, the Classic, The Raven, The Newport, the Old Oak, or any other of the innumerable public houses in Cork that would be more than happy to accomodate your sort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Way to lift a 6 month old thread, dumbass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Are you for real? Get a grip man. Even the "trendiest" Dublin bars are not that stupid in their dress codes to refuse entry to people in the middle of the day. Personally I hope the place goes bust. As for lowering the tone...now that is funny.

It is also good to know that the owner is hypocritical enough to allow in sports fans when there is a match on. So his principles take a break when there is money to be made I guess.

And please stop referring to "you and your type". You have no idea who I am or what I am like. You can take your attitude and get back in the box you crawled out of.

dahamsta wrote: »

I apologise, it's taken me about probably 9 months to get my account activated.
    Are you for real? Get a grip man. Even the "trendiest" Dublin bars are not that stupid in their dress codes to refuse entry to people in the middle of the day. Personally I hope the place goes bust. As for lowering the tone...now that is funny.

It is also good to know that the owner is hypocritical enough to allow in sports fans when there is a match on. So his principles take a break when there is money to be made I guess.

"In Dublin this, in Dublin that". I don't care too much for what's done in Dublin, but I'm sure they have plenty of places which frown on sportswear. How about here in London, where sports colours of any sort are banned in vast majority of public houses?

As for hoping the place goes bust- petty. Pathetic, and petty. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. Still though, judging by the fact that anytime I'm back in Cork, the crowd is spilling out the door there, I don't think that's too much of a worry.

I wouldn't call it hypocritical at all. In his old bar, there were no sports shown at all- the sole exceptions being the HEC finals of 2000 and 2002 (as I've said, he's a big rugby fan). In this one, a room is specifically set aside on a handful of selected match days (generally only for the HEC and Euro Champs/World Cup knockout stages- not for club soccer, or 6n rugby). It's not a sports bar, it doesn't have a TV, and their policy is no sportswear. It's his pub, and he's entitled to run it as he sees fit. In the evenings, the bouncers there are very relaxed, and allow virtually any sort of attire- but not football/rugby shirts. I have never once had a problem being admitted, and I tend to dress very much on the casual side.

As already mentioned, there are numerous other pubs/cafes willing to permit sportswear- so rather than bitching after picking one of the minority that don't, next time you might just proceed to one of the majority that do. It seems highly presumptuous to me that you seem to expect them to change their rules to suit one person. You don't like it? Fine. Go somewhere else and spare us this holier-than-thou nonsense.

Simple, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gary Numan

Xiangjiao wrote: »
    I apologise, it's taken me about probably 9 months to get my account activated.

"In Dublin this, in Dublin that". I don't care too much for what's done in Dublin, but I'm sure they have plenty of places which frown on sportswear. How about here in London, where sports colours of any sort are banned in vast majority of public houses?

As for hoping the place goes bust- petty. Pathetic, and petty. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. Still though, judging by the fact that anytime I'm back in Cork, the crowd is spilling out the door there, I don't think that's too much of a worry.

I wouldn't call it hypocritical at all. In his old bar, there were no sports shown at all- the sole exceptions being the HEC finals of 2000 and 2002 (as I've said, he's a big rugby fan). In this one, a room is specifically set aside on a handful of selected match days (generally only for the HEC and Euro Champs/World Cup knockout stages- not for club soccer, or 6n rugby). It's not a sports bar, it doesn't have a TV, and their policy is no sportswear. It's his pub, and he's entitled to run it as he sees fit. In the evenings, the bouncers there are very relaxed, and allow virtually any sort of attire- but not football/rugby shirts. I have never once had a problem being admitted, and I tend to dress very much on the casual side.

As already mentioned, there are numerous other pubs/cafes willing to permit sportswear- so rather than bitching after picking one of the minority that don't, next time you might just proceed to one of the majority that do. It seems highly presumptuous to me that you seem to expect them to change their rules to suit one person. You don't like it? Fine. Go somewhere else and spare us this holier-than-thou nonsense.

Simple, really.

You're not wrong!!!

There is no place for sportswear in public houses. I should be able to sit in my local without having to look at people walking around in their toyota jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

dahamsta wrote: »
    He's only trying to defend his pub, I hope it's empty today

Gary Numan wrote: »
    You're not wrong!!!

There is no place for sportswear in public houses. I should be able to sit in my local without having to look at people walking around in their toyota jerseys.

Fair point. I'm not big on people wearing sportswear in pubs. I'm also not big on pubs that enforce a no-trainers/shirts only policy. Do you see me starting threads whining about it, and wishing bankruptcy upon small business owners? NOOOO! I just opt to go somewhere more to my liking.

He's only trying to defend his pub, I hope it's empty today

Yeah, my pub, good one. :pac: Go back to sleep, lad.

Fair point. I'm not big on people wearing sportswear in pubs. I'm also not big on pubs that enforce a no-trainers/shirts only policy. Do you see me starting threads whining about it, and wishing bankruptcy upon small business owners? NOOOO! I just opt to go somewhere more to my liking.

A pub is more than entitled to enforce a dress code. Besides sportswear should be used as said on the tin, worn whilst playing sports. Only a pleb would think that a jersey is approbate for everyday use.

A pub is more than entitled to enforce a dress code. Besides sportswear should be used as said on the tin, worn whilst playing sports. Only a pleb would think that a jersey is approbate for everyday use.

Yup. Dare I say it, but this sounds like your typical nasty rugby jock "one for rule us, another for everyone else" mentality. Most of these people were probably still wearing Ferrari F1 jackets as Munster took their first, tentative steps in the HEC. Now that they've hopped aboard, they expect everyone else to fall into step.

Disgusting business, if you ask me.

• Advertisement

Yup. Dare I say it, but this sounds like your typical nasty rugby jock "one for rule us, another for everyone else" mentality. Most of these people were probably still wearing Ferrari F1 jackets as Munster took their first, tentative steps in the HEC. Now that they've hopped aboard, they expect everyone else to fall into step.

Disgusting business, if you ask me.

Great post. These jocks try to portray themselves as the "everyman". As if were to be fooled into thinking that your average rugby jock is the salt of the earth. I bet the people wishing that the roundy would go out of business for not letting the jersey wearer in are the same people who'd leave a pub if someone walked in wearing a celtic jersey.

Great post. These jocks try to portray themselves as the "everyman". As if were to be fooled into thinking that your average rugby jock is the salt of the earth. I bet the people wishing that the roundy would go out of business for not letting the jersey wearer in are the same people who'd leave a pub if someone walked in wearing a celtic jersey.

Well put. Salt of the earth, binmen and plasterers to a man I tell you!

I thought the rarely less than excellent Vincent Brown hit the nail on the head in the Time last week. Collective sound of spoons crashing into bowls of carrot and corriander soup that day, I reckon!

The solidarity we will feel as Munster people this weekend will not last, yet it is a force to be reckoned with, writes Vincent Browne.

THIS COMING weekend, some 40,000 to 60,000 of us Munster crazies will spill into Cardiff for the Heineken Cup final. Many of us without tickets or anywhere to stay. We probably will suffer through the 80 minutes, racked with anxiety that Munster might lose, as we did two years ago when Munster survived.

During the match even those of us who can't sing will join in the one verse we know from the Fields of Athenry (why do we in Munster sing a Galway song about the famine in moments of celebration?), the chorus of Stand up and Fight (a Google search reveals the same verse is popular among Sir Lankan lesbians).

Maybe There is an Isle (a Scottish song about an island in the Hebrides, but most Limerick people think it is about the island on the Shannon where stands King John's Castle and one of the most violent estates in the city).

At the end of the match on Saturday we will probably hug men we never saw before - if we win. Spill tears of joy and laughter, then off to pubs for binge-drinking and more delirium. There will be speeches.

If there are replays of the match on television screens, silence will be demanded while Ronan O'Gara retakes shots at goal. Fellas will do solo acts (in Leicester a few years ago a fellow with a Cork accent told how his wife had run off with his best friend - "I still f***ing miss him").

Another great outing, never to be forgotten. At least until late on Saturday night.

And if we lose, probably we will still celebrate - what, I don't know. Maybe just that we are from Munster. Maybe just that we are not from Leinster.

Twenty years ago most of us had no identification with Munster at all. We thought of ourselves from Limerick or Cork or Tipperary or Clare - I think Waterford fell out of Munster a few decades ago. Anyway, most of us never thought of ourselves as being from Munster.

Munster was a strange imagining, evident only at Railway Cup matches which nobody went to anymore, or rugby inter-provincials which nobody went to anymore, aside from the quarter of a million who were at Thomond Park for the Munster victory against the All Blacks.

But then came professional rugby and the construction of a Munster rugby club and, more remarkably, a Munster identity. Out of nothing, it seems.

And it has become a force in the lives of many of us Munster people, Munster men anyway (real men?).

Now for at least part of the year we are Munster, no longer from Cork or Kerry (actually some of us from Limerick equate Munster with Limerick for it is from the Greater Limerick Area - those part of the Anschluss incorporating south Tipperary, south and east Clare and north Kerry - that most of the players who matter come from, aside from one or two others from the southern hemisphere, including Cork). But for the months of the Heineken Cup campaign the Munster identity surfaces, out of nothing at all.

In part it was an extension of the "culchie" factor.

A revolt against the belittlement, real and imagined (almost all real), we had suffered in Dublin for years, belittlement inflicted by Dublin sophisticates.

This was a chance to get our own back and, boy, has it worked.

Leinster may have won the odd inconsequential game against Munster in the last decade, but whenever it counted Leinster buckled against whoever, and especially against Munster.

But in part it is probably a search for identity anyway, an identity lost or forsaken or never experienced.

Being social beings we feel a need for social identities and this is as good as there is on offer, at least for us from Munster.

And at these matches away from home especially, there is a sense of community that we (or most of us) don't experience otherwise. A solidarity with people we don't know from Eve.

But it is fleeting and brittle - identities constructed as easily and as casually as the Munster one is precarious.

And for the most part we have fairly shallow social identities, certainly shallow social solidarities.

The ties that bind have got looser.

Not that they were ever that tight, I suspect. I recall that in the village in west Limerick when I was growing up over half a century ago there was real poverty in the village and in the locality, and I recall no special care or any care at all for those living in poverty.

Yes, there was solidarities in the sense of farmers sharing the harvest work, but no solidarities across class boundaries.

There were Travellers who came to the area often to stay for months on end, sleeping in tents on the side of the road in the midst of freezing, rain-soaked winters, and I remember no solidarity with them.

There was Muintir na Tíre, but it did not care or seem to care about all the "muintir".

There was no "stand by your man" then and, in truth, there is no stand by your man now. Not across the class boundaries certainly.

I hope the Sri Lankan lesbians fare better

Munstershire/Stade Limerique - it's a state of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

LMAO...this is class...all the wierdos are coming out of the woodwork now. Suddenly I am a rugby jock ...LMAO

The owner is perfectly entitled to enforce whatever dress code he wants...you are correct. And I am perfectly entitled to highlight the fact and give my opinions on it.

It would be a very sad day when Cork goes in the direction of being snobbish and elitist. I personally don't care about Dublin or London either but just used it as an example. What sort of a friendly welcoming city asks a middle aged husband and wife to leave the premises in the middle of a weekday afternoon just because one of them is wearing a sports jersey. I have travelled to many many places around the world and NEVER encountered an attitude like that in a pub on a cities main street. And even being told we couldn't sit outside on the street seating! Again London being an exception (although that is for entirely different reasons to the reason in places like the Roundy)

Well put. Salt of the earth, binmen and plasterers to a man I tell you!

Were you watching the rte news yesterday. They had this wan doing a report on the munstershire "supporters" going over to cardiff. At the end of the report they showed all the mercs and bmws coming of the boat with little munster flags in the windows. Binmen and plasterers is right. If social climbing was an Olympic event munstershire would take home the gold.

LMAO...this is class...all the wierdos are coming out of the woodwork now. Suddenly I am a rugby jock ...LMAO

The owner is perfectly entitled to enforce whatever dress code he wants...you are correct. And I am perfectly entitled to highlight the fact and give my opinions on it.

It would be a very sad day when Cork goes in the direction of being snobbish and elitist. I personally don't care about Dublin or London either but just used it as an example. What sort of a friendly welcoming city asks a middle aged husband and wife to leave the premises in the middle of a weekday afternoon just because one of them is wearing a sports jersey. I have travelled to many many places around the world and NEVER encountered an attitude like that in a pub on a cities main street. And even being told we couldn't sit outside on the street seating! Again London being an exception (although that is for entirely different reasons to the reason in places like the Roundy)

Weren't you the fella wishing that one of our business community would go out business because he woulnd't bend his rules on sportswear to suit your will?

And, more to the point, what kind of self-respecting middle-aged man walks around on a weekday afternoon in a sports jersey?

Were you watching the rte news yesterday. They had this wan doing a report on the munstershire "supporters" going over to cardiff. At the end of the report they showed all the mercs and bmws coming of the boat with little munster flags in the windows. Binmen and plasterers is right. If social climbing was an Olympic event munstershire would take home the gold.

Heh heh heh, this is true. Not that I mind the sport itself too much, it's just the wanker element that's attached itself to it that gets me. Played it a bit at school, but the amounf of so-called fans these days who couldn't tell you the difference between a blindside and an openside baffles me. That said, seeing as I'm at home I think I'll head out to watch the game later- maybe even in the Roundy, if I can get a seat- in my civvies though.

Weren't you the fella wishing that one of our business community would go out business because he woulnd't bend his rules on sportswear to suit your will?

Typical jock. Happy to see a no sportswear rule as long as it dosn't apply to munstershire.

Heh heh heh, this is true. Not that I mind the sport itself too much, it's just the wanker element that's attached itself to it that gets me. Played it a bit at school, but the amounf of so-called fans these days who couldn't tell you the difference between a blindside and an openside baffles me. That said, seeing as I'm at home I think I'll head out to watch the game later- maybe even in the Roundy, if I can get a seat- in my civvies though.

Nail on the head. Everyone is on the bandwagon, although there'll be a confusion tonight over which jersey to wear, what with utd doing the double, munster and trappers taking on serbia tonight.

Nail on the head. Everyone is on the bandwagon, although there'll be a confusion tonight over which jersey to wear, what with utd doing the double, munster and trappers taking on serbia tonight.

Not to mention Celtic winning the SPL.

A truly glorious week for bandwagoners and grown men who wear sports replica everywhere.

There'll be apprentice plumbers and groundworkers dancing in the streets of Cardiff tonight, I tell ya. I even read somewhere else that union chandlery are sold out of nautical charts for the Cardiff Bay area.

• Advertisement

jdivision wrote: »
    Whenever I go home I find the pubs way out of kilter with what they are. No white runners, no runners at all, no nothing. I'd go to posh pubs in Dublin without getting any of the hassle you'd get in Cork wearing casual clothes. If you're not wearing those horrible Dubarry shoes and a pink shirt with a navy Tommy Hilfiger jumper you just get stared at by the bouncers in Cork. I find it hilarious and tragic at the same time.

Very true.

I personally choose not to frequent such places, which, invariably, tend to be crap and full of scobes and/or messy drunkard boggers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement