Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Roundy House - Cork gone snobby???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:eek: - the Catwalk! That actually caused me to shudder a little... Scary, scary place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Are pubs, strictly speaking, allowed to refuse people during the daytime over jerseys and such?

I've heard before that because pubs are "public houses" they are, as such, are required by law to allow people use the toilets without buying anything.

Going on that I would have thought "public houses" would thus have to allow jerseys in too.

Or is the situation more like the over-21's thing which is supposed to be a little illegal really but is just accepted?

Iolar wrote: »
    Whys it scary?Im new to Cork :D
    Hmmm... better be careful how I put it. Let's just say a particular clientele are drawn to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Dudess wrote: »
    Hmmm... better be careful how I put it. Let's just say a particular clientele are drawn to the place.

Ah, the Catwalk. My cousin's favourite - she would be a part of that particular type of clientele!

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Iolar wrote: »
    Sounds like a fun place

It definitely is if your idea of fun involves starting a fight with someone over "how they were looking at me burd, like, are ya tryina start sometin bud?" or perhaps for the ladies taking part in a screaming catfight involving throwing drinks over each other, pulling each others hair, trying to scratch each others eyes out and most importantly, trying not to totter off your six inch heels and thus end up exposing yourself as your microskirt rides up.

(A friend of mine used to work on the door there, and he inexplicably seems to have enjoyed it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

:eek: - the Catwalk! That actually caused me to shudder a little... Scary, scary place.
    Ah good old Catwalk, I remember one night myslef and a buddy made an effort to see how many "classy" places we could walk into without bouncers stopping us for ID to basically turn around and walk back out again, by actually making an effort to look in some way sophisticated(we were about 19 methinks). Were waved into
    Souths on the Mall, Scotts, Old Oak,The Newport, Long Island, The Bailey but
    somewhere along the way we passed the Catwalk and tried to get in for the laugh, we were refused for "wearing shoes". I may or may not have made a comment in disbelief about being turned away from "the biggest sh*thole in Cork" in front of their clientel who were smoking outside, which meant we had to hasten our exit.
    It's so funny its on a street with so many resteraunts, saw a fight down the street one night where basically security from everywhere around that could spare it was involved. Saw a guy literally being picked up and thrown over the roof of a parked car, whilst people out for romantic meals watched on from inside.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've never heard of the Catwalk, where is it? That being said, I'm completely out of the loop with Cork now. I was dragged to the Classic the other night. I'd never heard of it and only went because we had free passes. Twas full of girls who wish they were from D4 as far as I could tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

Faith wrote: »
    I've never heard of the Catwalk, where is it? That being said, I'm completely out of the loop with Cork now. I was dragged to the Classic the other night. I'd never heard of it and only went because we had free passes. Twas full of girls who wish they were from D4 as far as I could tell.

tha catwalk is down one of the side streets off patricks st/ south mall. cant rem the street name. went to the classic one night its terrible not that i like clubbing in cork anyway the music was awful you couldnt even dance to it if you wanted to. i agree with the girls wishing they were from D4.

went to the catwalk once with one of my friends from college who would have been that kind of clientèle back then. id just turned 18 did go out again for a few weeks after that was so so scared. what a gem in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

The Catwalk definately makes the rest of the city a better place to be.
    Like the fabulous Roundy. Love a few beers there before a trot over to the Bodega. Maybe it is a bit snobby but it appeals to the clientele and if you don't like it don't go there. I hate, hate, hate jerseys in bars and matches on TV so I choose pubs without TVs in general.

Love the bitchfighting lads ye put us girls to shame ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Xiangjiao

Hmmm, interesting thing I noticed in the roundy there on Tuesday; on its regular license, alongside the usual stuff like maximum occupancy, trading hours, etc, is a stipulation forbidding the wearing of team colours. So by refusing a grown man wearing replica kit, they were merely enforcing the terms of their license. The barman told me that on those occasions (Italy games in WC/Euros, Brazil WC games, HEC latter stages) they have to apply for an exemption.

I've seen that in nightclub licenses before, but never in pub ones (although, admittedly, I don't go reading them as a rule!)... is this a new thing? I for one welcome it anyway, if it is.

Iliketea wrote: »
    You are some asshole.Your mate that runs the roundy can not change the rules for different people(have seen people in there with sports gear lots of times)or on different days.Your also presumptious and disillusioned.You should take a break from london for a while,hanging around those z list establishments in the west end has gotten to your head.

Here we go again with this 'mate' ****. Because I defend someone's right to enforce a policy (which is actually stipulated in their license), I must be his bestestest buddy.

Yeah, it's all a conspiracy.

LOL at places like Soho, the Newport, the Woodford, Scotts, the Coal Quay etc reckoning they're "classy" - they're just full of rich, flash knackers and not that different to Waxys.

People have this idea: girls wearing short dresses and heels and drinking cocktails = must be classy. It's eh... naff.

Actually, the Coal Quay Bar is long gone- new place in there now called the Cornstore. Ate there the other day, touch pricey but impressive enough. A few of these girls you mention their alright... but the waiters were good, and the cocktail waiter really knew his stuff.

Agree on the rest, you're not wrong!

Hopefully I will never have the misfortune of setting foot in Soho.

Actually my friend had her hen meal upstairs in Soho. Great food and wine and the bar next to it is lovely and chillaxed without bangin' choons or 50 Cent. It's just downstairs that's horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Xiangjiao wrote: »
    Hmmm, interesting thing I noticed in the roundy there on Tuesday; on its regular license, alongside the usual stuff like maximum occupancy, trading hours, etc, is a stipulation forbidding the wearing of team colours. So by refusing a grown man wearing replica kit, they were merely enforcing the terms of their license. The barman told me that on those occasions (Italy games in WC/Euros, Brazil WC games, HEC latter stages) they have to apply for an exemption.

I've seen that in nightclub licenses before, but never in pub ones (although, admittedly, I don't go reading them as a rule!)... is this a new thing? I for one welcome it anyway, if it is.

Never heard of this before either. Very strange restriction though. Can this type of restriction also be obtained for people wearing hoodies/baseball caps/goth clothing/ethnic clothing/etc, etc, etc or is it just for team colours. Where does the line get drawn? Bordering on discrimination really.

Also, how is team colours defined in law I wonder? Does the clothing have to display a team crest or does just looking like a "jersey" count? For example, there are plenty of "designer" brand rugby shirts out there...would they be banned also under this restriction? So many questions...maybe time to shoot off to the legal forum as I am curious about this licence restriction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭brucer24!

in relation to soho - the only thing wrong with the place are the groups of 30 year old women who think they are posh! one night i watched as 1of these classy girls had to be lifted out of the restuarant as she couldnt walk-not so classy :rolleyes: its only the main bar that causes people to dislike the place..

Actually my friend had her hen meal upstairs in Soho. Great food and wine and the bar next to it is lovely and chillaxed without bangin' choons or 50 Cent. It's just downstairs that's horrible.

I know they've dropped it since, but having a 'no runners' policy in this day and age (like they did when they opened) is just silly IMHO. But my real problem was going in there one night with the missus, waiting for 40 minutes for our orders to be taken, and then having to walk out after another 45 because it hadn't arrived.

But it doesn't strike me as my kinda place anyway.

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    Never heard of this before either. Very strange restriction though. Can this type of restriction also be obtained for people wearing hoodies/baseball caps/goth clothing/ethnic clothing/etc, etc, etc or is it just for team colours. Where does the line get drawn? Bordering on discrimination really.

Also, how is team colours defined in law I wonder? Does the clothing have to display a team crest or does just looking like a "jersey" count? For example, there are plenty of "designer" brand rugby shirts out there...would they be banned also under this restriction? So many questions...maybe time to shoot off to the legal forum as I am curious about this licence restriction.

Dunno, I've never seen it before either. And no, I doubt it could be extended to the other groups mentioned.

Team colours, I imagine, would be anything along the lines of a replica kit/training top/tracksuit/retro top of a sports team, be they official are not. Much as operates in the UK.

Have seen it on the license in nightclubs in Cork though- off the top of my head in the Savoy and Bodega Nights.

Also, it should be noted that under the previous two sets of owners, the Roundy/Rhino Rooms had lots of problems with their license- mainly to do with music (there's a an old lady living across the street.) I don't know this for a fact or anything, but I'd say that might be why they don't have DJs there since it reopened. In those circumstances, strict licensing stipulations aren't unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

I assume it's changed but when I was a teenager I seem to remember the Roundy being a gay bar. Either way, it's far too up itself to be worth bothering with. I've recently moved back to Cork after 4 years in Dublin. I had completely forgotten how crap going out in Cork is. You're always in danger of idiot bouncers refusing you for wearing jeans or trainers or not being clean shaven (!), which is something I've never had to worry about in Dublin.

Plus, why are so many places over 23? Luckily it doesn't effect me (getting old...) but a few mates from Dublin were recently refused from three pubs in a row for picky little various reasons. Do these pubs want to make money or what? :pac:

DecentBee wrote: »
    I assume it's changed but when I was a teenager I seem to remember the Roundy being a gay bar. Either way, it's far too up itself to be worth bothering with. I've recently moved back to Cork after 4 years in Dublin. I had completely forgotten how crap going out in Cork is. You're always in danger of idiot bouncers refusing you for wearing jeans or trainers or not being clean shaven (!), which is something I've never had to worry about in Dublin.

Plus, why are so many places over 23? Luckily it doesn't effect me (getting old...) but a few mates from Dublin were recently refused from three pubs in a row for picky little various reasons. Do these pubs want to make money or what? :pac:

Heh heh heh, the old 'if it's gay-friendly, it must be gay' chestnut, eh? :)

Presuming that you're talking about the Roundy in the late 90s/early 00s, it was mixed, or at least gay friendly. Think they had a sort of gay meet-up/afternoon thing upstairs on Sunday (along with record swap meets on Saturdays). Not exactly what I'd call a 'gay bar'.

The over 23s thing is a joke, wasn't it declared illegal back in 2000 when an off duty bean garda got refused somewhere? It's after creeping back in now anyway. In all but a handful of places that rigourously enforce it, it's really little more than an additional tool to refuse people you don't like the look off... Crock of cack...

Never been stopped for jeans or not being clean-shaven, personally... as for the runners thing, any place with a rule like this is not the kind of tip I'd want to drink in, so it's never affected me (in fact, it's got me off the hook for having to go to Havana's/Rearden's in the past- long live this sort of thing!).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

Ah yeah, to be fair this was back in secondary school, most things that didn't involve soccer were considered 'gay'.

I do admit that I've never been too disappointed at not getting into any place that would refuse me, but it's annoying when you're going out with a group which includes girls who want to go to reardens or similar. I just don't understand how scumholes like that can be stricter than the Dublin equivelants like Diceys or Q-Bar.

Also, it should be noted that under the previous two sets of owners, the Roundy/Rhino Rooms had lots of problems with their license- mainly to do with music (there's a crazy old lady living across the street). I don't know this for a fact or anything, but I'd say that might be why they don't have DJs there since it reopened. In those circumstances, strict licensing stipulations aren't unknown; I worked security in the Savoy after it reopened in 2004, and they had ridiculous amounts of **** tacked on to their license, to do with soundchecks and other matters, and the Gardai were in every to make sure they didn't serve staff drinks at closing, which I thought was a fine use to make of their manpower at 3am on a Saturday night.

All those restrictions are to do with breaking the law for noise pollution, disruption to neighbours etc etc. But banning a certain clothes type by law seems crazy still. I am sorely tempted to go in there next time I pass (better not be wearing anything sports related :D ) just to read the exact wording on the license....not to have a drink of course as I won't ever do that there.

Also, the law makes it illegal to deny service to under 23's but outlaws sports wear...lol.
    We live in a crazy country if this is true and I think, similar to the under 23's rule, all it would take is someone to challenge it to get it overturned as being discriminatory. I cannot think of any legitimate reason to ban sports wear/team colours by law in this country. England or Scotland, yes, but not here.

I have only ever been refused twice myself. Once was when I was in UCC about 14 years ago and was refused in Counihans as if was over 23's. Sat down again and got one of the girls to go up and she was served no bother even though she was tiny :-) The other time was the roundy which resulted in this thread :mad:

Must say, I much prefer the old fashioned, old mans drinking pubs myself anyway where you never get this kind of bother. Just a decent pint and a chat.

Ludo wrote: »
    We live in a crazy country if this is true and I think, similar to the under 23's rule, all it would take is someone to challenge it to get it overturned as being discriminatory.

It was declared illegal, but I think something has changed since to make it legally permissable- possibly a local by-law, but it came back in there about 2/3 years back and I remember hearing it has a firm legal basis this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

I know they've dropped it since, but having a 'no runners' policy in this day and age (like they did when they opened) is just silly IMHO. But my real problem was going in there one night with the missus, waiting for 40 minutes for our orders to be taken, and then having to walk out after another 45 because it hadn't arrived.

But it doesn't strike me as my kinda place anyway.

Same with Clancy's for me. Used have the odd drink in there but we went in one Monday to use a meal voucher we'd won in the Wed quiz there and were treated like something you'd step in. When I pointed out to the others how rudely I'd been treated (I was in there just before the gang arrived) they didn't believe me - until they went to order as well...g'luck n thanks.

For me there are few enough genuine places to go and have a good time in the City anymore. Obviously there are music genre pubs which suit (Fred's and An Cruiscin being two), but An Brog and the Castle are always relaxing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

The Savoy's sound check problem is nothing got to do with there license.
    It is merely that loud music upstairs before 6pm travels through the centre to the shops trying to do business. Hence they cant make any noise til after 6pm.

castie wrote: »
    The Savoy's sound check problem is nothing got to do with there license.
    It is merely that loud music upstairs before 6pm travels through the centre to the shops trying to do business. Hence they cant make any noise til after 6pm.

That's part of it, but they had to undergo all kinds of hassle like no music after 1am, or at other times music but no drinks after 1:30.

Such is the world we live in.

• Advertisement

<snip> removed quote see previous post </snip>

A few off duty gardai were probably refused permission to drink after hours with the staff so they shut it down :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement