Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greater speeds in the future.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Current Line Sync (connection) speed in Kilo bits per second (Kbps) : [B]3072[/B]

Downstream Line Attenuation (dB) : [B]5.5[/B]

Noise Margin, sometimes referred to as Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) : [B]41.0[/B]

We estimate that if using a rate adaptive up to 8Mbps service your maximum line speed will be: [B]8128 Kbps[/B]

If you are on a Max product, that uses the IP Profile system (sometimes called BRAS Data Rate) if you maintain the above line speed for 3 days or more your IP Profile would be set to: [B]7.15 Mbps[/B]

If your service provider uses ADSL2+ we estimate you may manage line speeds of: [B]24294 Kbps[/B]
    With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput is likely to be around: [B]21499 Kbps[/B]

2 or 3 hundred metres from the exchange

me wants adsl2+ now (with appropriate ;) caps of course)
    How did you find out the snr figure? I've listed my router make above and have looked through expert mode but can't find it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

expert > troubleshooting > dsl

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

rc28 wrote:
    How did you find out the snr figure? I've listed my router make above and have looked through expert mode but can't find it.

access will depend on the modem/router - I've got an old ZyXEL modem

access via the 192.x.x.x IP
    >> maintenance
    >> diagnostic
    >> downstream noise margin button gives the info

Ok I've found all my figures but do I enter in the upstream or the downstream figure?

Ok I've entered in the downstream figures and am now really disappointed, only managing 7767kbps if adsl2 implemented. When are eircom going to start putting in adsl2?

Also,I'm currently on 1mb and I'd like to know if I upgrade to 2mb will it make much of a difference seeing as it doesn't change much even with adsl2 put in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You haven't specified the figures but you'd want a current SNR of 13-14 dB for downstream or upstream at the minimum to consider get most or all of the 2 mbit speeds. But sure eircom have already spoken on the matter and will not increase speeds. I wouldn't be dissapointed with that 7000 kbps odd ADSL2 speed. A lot better than what many people can hope for from eircom.

If your attenuation is actually 59/29, then that 7767 kbps figure is rather optimistic. Eircom won't let you upgrade to 2 mbps. ADSL2 will not improve your speed by 6 times at any distance.

You haven't specified the figures but you'd want a current SNR of 13-14 dB for downstream or upstream at the minimum to consider get most or all of the 2 mbit speeds. But sure eircom have already spoken on the matter and will not increase speeds. I wouldn't be dissapointed with that 7000 kbps odd ADSL2 speed. A lot better than what many people can hope for from eircom.

If your attenuation is actually 59/29, then that 7767 kbps figure is rather optimistic. Eircom won't let you upgrade to 2 mbps. ADSL2 will not improve your speed by 6 times at any distance.
    Hi thanks, can you look at my other thread where I have all my figures quoted:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055110161

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

somewhere between 1 and 2 is the answer .

unplug everything in your house ( including filters)

plug dls modem into main socket and run stats again till we see .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    somewhere between 1 and 2 is the answer .

unplug everything in your house ( including filters)

plug dls modem into main socket and run stats again till we see .
    I unplugged all the filters like you said and ran the speedtest and I got better download speeds:
    [URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/142982311.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]142982311.png
    I put in my new stats into the link at the start of this thread and got slightly higher results too. My stats hadn't changed though except I only had 1 crc error instead of 148!(is there somehting wrong with one of my filters?)
    Btw my current connection stats say that i am only supposed to have a max of 1024 dowload speed but why is the speedtest.net result showing much higher than that?

Advertisement