Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best "Money no object" Motherboard

Options
  • 14-06-2007 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Was going to get a Striker Extreme for my new build but am a bit worried about the Memory compatabilities.

Any suggestions on what is the best Mobo out there at the moment. Any point going for something that supports DDR3.

I'm using it for games and want the best.

Also, what is the best memory to go with the Mobo.

Thanks lads!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Well this is the most expensive one I could find. Stupid money imo but obviously you would need to building a watercooled rig as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

cool mobo.

mate if ur getting a 30" you will need sli.so i would recoomend the evga 680i A1 mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea 1 8800GTX on a 30" at 2560 X 1600 on Need for Speed all high settings gets 8 - 9 fps lol

2 will get you mid 40's

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well if you plan on using SLI this eVGA 680i is the best bet.

DDR3 is not worth wasting money on.

Personally I'd go with an Intel chipset but seeing as SLI is not an option yet if the rumours are to be believed with the forthcoming X38 chipset that only leaves the P35 for which this board is worth going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Thanks, went for the EVGA 680i. Had one before and thought it was good. I will be running 2 8800's but I have decided to go for the 24" Dell instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Funny seeing this thread...

Anyway, what area of gaming is letting you down with your current setup? Until DDR3 becomes more mainstream and affordable with the 1333 standard, DDR2 performs on a par with it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Funny seeing this thread...

yeah thought it was a joke or something :D

anyway the most expensive isn't always the best. Are you much of an overclocker robertr? Most of the more expensive mobos will be aimed for enthusiast overclockers and in such if you aren't one you won't see any of the benefits. Maybe get a P35 which will give you a decent upgrade avenue 6 months from now.

Went for the 680i as I will be running two 8800s

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Looks like ill be ordering the black perl for my new board. Good find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The most I've ever spent on a motherboard is about 55 euro....must get a good one one of these days...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Robertr wrote:
    Went for the 680i as I will be running two 8800s

But you do realise there where other cheaper 680i motherboards out there that would of ran SLI and not had all the redundant overclocking features of the eVGA? You still haven't answered whether you intend on overclocking your system or not?

Will be doing some overclocking, nothing major. Probably put the QX6700 to about 3.4. Thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Those quad cores get VERY hot when overclocking to that kind of speed, I wouldn't exactly call it a light OC. People seem to get fairly high temps with even a water cooled setup.

Also, as L31mr0D said, can you give us some more specifics as to what exactly you use this machine for. Quad cores still aren't fully utilised in most applications, so unless you are doing major multi-threading or multi-applications like some kind of folding at home client, I think stock may be fine for another while.

Advertisement