Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from the BB forums at Channel 4...

Options
  • 14-06-2007 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

... for speaking as gaeilge. Was anyone else who took part in that conversation banned??? I know some of you are boards members too. Those basta*ds!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hmm, well on the Islam forum here people aren't allowed to write in Arabic so not too different. On the other hand, BB allowed the Welsh contestants to speak Welsh in the house last year. Maybe if you had provided a translation you would have been alright?

Either way, g'wan ya rebel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I would have much preferred to have been banned for fighting with Trolls, at least then I deserve it - That's why they removed me from the TV.com forums.
    It's so annoying, you can't really say anything without getting banned. At least boards is slightly more relaxed than other forums and you can actually discuss things.
    I told them what we were talking about in Irish and asked to be re-instated, but haven't gotten a reply yet.

Wow! Someone thinks boards.ie is relaxed and not a haven for little Hitler-types!! :D

In fairness, netiquette suggests that you do use the language of the forum you visit and that if you don't you at least provide simultaneous translation.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they re-instate you!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

r3nu4l wrote:
    Hmm, well on the Islam forum here people aren't allowed to write in Arabic

Your allowed, you just have to supply a translation as well. It is to stop the paranoid types thinking they are being left out of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Not surprised...its an engish speaking forum and the moderators cant police the threads if they dont understand what is being said. What if you were being viciously racist or homophobic ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

TBF, you were warned by other Irish posters that it would happen if you continued posting in Irish. You are young grasshopper, but you have learned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 madirishone

Hiya

I have been banned aswell. SO unfair especially as when did stop when we found out we werent allowed to do it!!!

Anyway, Conás atá tú? Is mise Noni2. agus tá mé go maith

Hobbes wrote:
    Your allowed, you just have to supply a translation as well. It is to stop the paranoid types thinking they are being left out of something.
    Yep, I meant to edit the post after I typed reply number 4 but forgot. Thanks for pointing it out though, Islam forum gets enough critical attention as it is without me adding to the fire :o

Dyflin wrote:
    TBF, you were warned by other Irish posters that it would happen if you continued posting in Irish. You are young grasshopper, but you have learned :D

Hey who are you on the C4 boards??????

Linky to the thread please!

• Advertisement

Tristrame wrote:

If yuou are refering to the C4 thread where we spoke Irish then I cannot help you as I am banned lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why the fook are you typing in Irish on an English Forum anyway?

It could only one of two reasons:
    a) You're trying to be all self important or elitist

or more importantly from C4's perspective

b) You're saying something that you know you can't say and which could also libelous

And sure anyway, you got banned from a BB Forum. You're hardly gonna lose any sleep over it.

We were not being all self important. Also we were not saying anything we shouldn't. We were just having a laugh. ALl we said was where we were from and where we went to school. Thats all the Irish I could rememebr anyway.

When told by someone else that we could be abnned CVaptainNeg checked the rules and found it to be true so we stopped.

All of the posts weren't as gaeilge. Just a sentence or two

Well you live and learn

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Hey who are you on the C4 boards??????

Lets just say I have my spies ;):D

Um, where did the leprechaun/racism thread go? :confused: Has boards.ie be infiltrated by C4?

Hiya

I have been banned aswell. SO unfair especially as when did stop when we found out we werent allowed to do it!!!

Anyway, Conás atá tú? Is mise Noni2. agus tá mé go maith

Got back in under a new username and e-mail. They obviously don't check the IP adresses when people register and compare them to their banned list.

Tristrame wrote:

The thread was deleted.

Dyflin wrote:
    Lets just say I have my spies ;):D

I know exactly who your spy is! ;)
    Did she also suffer the wrath of the C4 moderators?

Dyflin wrote:
    Um, where did the leprechaun/racism thread go? :confused: Has boards.ie be infiltrated by C4?

Can't believe it was deleted!!! We weren't saying anything bad in it, were we? It was just a bit of craic. Well at least the 'I Hate Charley' Club is still allowed. Touch wood.

Hopefully not, or she'll end up over here :eek: ;):D

• Advertisement

Dyflin wrote:

:D, Hope she doesn't see you saying that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭llester

:D *waves to Captain Negative*

No I didn't suffer. Went in lookin for everyone yesterday and saw the thread was deleted. They let you back in after a while apparently, but most people just do what you did, ie change usernames etc.

Listen, if you're in there and you spot a User Pantomime Dame, she is soooo anti-Irish...give her hell!!!!! :D

Dyflin wrote:
    :mad: WHHAAAATTT???!!!!!! :eek: *whacks Dyflin with his own smelly sock* :mad: :mad:

llester wrote:
    :D *waves to Captain Negative*

No I didn't suffer. Went in lookin for everyone yesterday and saw the thread was deleted. They let you back in after a while apparently, but most people just do what you did, ie change usernames etc.

Listen, if you're in there and you spot a User Pantomime Dame, she is soooo anti-Irish...give her hell!!!!! :D

Hellooooooooooooo!!!! :D!!!! Glad you didn't get in trouble. I'll keep a look out for her, but I'm gonna try to be good for awhile, so I'll have to be much more careful if arguing with people. The people at the C4 forums don't like me very much. :D

Hellooooooooooooo!!!! :D!!!! Glad you didn't get in trouble. I'll keep a look out for her, but I'm gonna try to be good for awhile, so I'll have to be much more careful if arguing with people. The people at the C4 forums don't like me very much. :D
    Ahhh don't worry about it ;) . I don't argue with people either, only when they jump on the anti Irish Bandwagon, then I go for the jugular :mad: . But there are other Irish FM's (DV8 for one) who are absolutely brilliant at winding them all up!! :)

What's your new username and i'll keep an eye out for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Needless Gossip

I think you deserved it. I hate when people think it's cool to speak as gaielge around people that don't understand it, it's lame.

llester wrote:
    Ahhh don't worry about it ;) . I don't argue with people either, only when they jump on the anti Irish Bandwagon, then I go for the jugular :mad: . But there are other Irish FM's (DV8 for one) who are absolutely brilliant at winding them all up!! :)

What's your new username and i'll keep an eye out for you?

Same as here, CaptainNegative.

I think you deserved it. I hate when people think it's cool to speak as gaielge around people that don't understand it, it's lame.

None of us were trying to be cool. The conversation developed naturally, so stop trying to cause trouble and go away.

I think the absolute opposite. I always think it's fantastic to hear Irish being spoken, no matter what the circumstance.

They didn't deserve to be bopped.

• Advertisement

None of us were trying to be cool. The conversation developed naturally, so stop trying to cause trouble and go away.
    It happened before. A bunch of Irish joined at the same time and we naturally gravitated towards an Irish conversation too. Only scraps of Irish we could remember of course. Anyway, one evening I had logged off and it all turned very ugly and there was a huge Ireland -v- England scrap. They basically bopped everyone that was posting in that thread at the time of the argument, using every excuse possible. There was one lovely FM who only posted in Irish, and they used the foreign language rule to bop her too. Now they don't tolerate Irish at all and any Ire -v-Eng threads are usually deleted straight away.

Advertisement