Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenihan - Justice??

Options
  • 14-06-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭

anyone think he doesnt have enough expirience for justice??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭LINKY.V.18

timmywex wrote:

i would say probably yes but how much worse can he be than mcdowell,thats the real question.we will have to wait i suppose.although he does have a lot of experience as a barrister for many years(then again so did mcdowell:rolleyes: )
    personally speaking i don't care for the man at all.i would like to see some real reform in some key areas that are still very shady,immigrants and stuff.lets just hope we don't have the whole "kicked out of the country in the middle of the night" approach that lenihan's predecessor was so in favour of.im open to forming a new opinion of the guy...............maybe:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

timmywex wrote:

Well experience of what is my concern. Why on earth would you put a qualified barrister into this job??? If you want something serious done about crime, put in someone like John Nally or someone who has experienced serious crime first hand. The reason we have a criminal justice system that supports the criminal, as distinct from a victim justice system which puts things right by the victim, is because we get these twits from Blackhall Place who haven't a clue what goes on outside of the law library, making laws for the criminals of the country.

If you want something done about crime in this country, put someone like John Nally or Frank Mc Brearty into this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Darragh29 wrote:
    John Nally or Frank Mc Brearty into this job.
    I take it you mean Padraig Nally?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭GospelGroupie

Darragh29 wrote:
    If you want something done about crime in this country, put someone like John Nally or Frank Mc Brearty into this job.

Er, wouldn't he have to be elected first? That could be the first problem.

Lenihan is a barrister, what better qualified person is in the Dáil?

The biggest problems in Justice is that:
    • The Judges have an a la carte attitude to sentencing. Having a Peer Review of Judges, an Ombudsman of the Courts, and a clearly defined table of penalties/punishments based on severity of crime, repeat offence, etc would help.
    • The upper ranks of the Gardaí are political appointees while those of Garda rank can show no such allegancies. Therefore, gardaí can be put under pressure by their superiors to tow a particular line which favours a certain political objective even if it requires the garda to operate outside of their pledge to work "without fear, favour, malice or ill-will".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Darragh29 wrote:
    Well experience of what is my concern. Why on earth would you put a qualified barrister into this job??? If you want something serious done about crime, put in someone like John Nally or someone who has experienced serious crime first hand. The reason we have a criminal justice system that supports the criminal, as distinct from a victim justice system which puts things right by the victim, is because we get these twits from Blackhall Place who haven't a clue what goes on outside of the law library, making laws for the criminals of the country.

People like you don't seem to realise that if we take all the rights away from suspected criminals, we run the very serious risk of creating more victims through miscarriages of justice and state oppression.

You mentioned Frank McBrearty, He was a victim of corrupt police. If you take away protections for those accused of crime, McBrearty might have been convicted of a crime that didn't even take place and the corruption by the Gardai in Donegal might never well have been exposed.

• Advertisement

Darragh29 wrote:
    The reason we have a criminal justice system that supports the criminal, as distinct from a victim justice system which puts things right by the victim, is because we get these twits from Blackhall Place who haven't a clue what goes on outside of the law library, making laws for the criminals of the country.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Maybe those twits from Blackhall spend a lot more time in Courts than, say, pretty much anyone else. Either way, please advise why those people would be more inclined to support the criminal? That makes as much sense as saying Doctors support diseases because it keeps them in work. In the list of hysterical conspiracy theories, I'd put your post near the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

Well sorry op, I hope the new minister has more of the "kicked out of the country in the middle of the night" approach. Ireland has not dealt harshly enough with bogus asylum seeking. There should be no leniency shown to these chancers. He has a chancer trying to get out of her deportation 2day, if he backs down he's a fool....I hope he won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Whatever guff shows up as FF government policy I would expect Lenihan to do his best to carry it out. IMO, a very able individual, hard-working and a much better performer than many ministers of the last government. He always comes across as reasonable , well-briefed and perfectly capable of getting things done.
    I am not surprised he got a big job. I imagine he'll have a more conciliatory approach to things than McD. It'll be interesting to see how he works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Very capable politician who could be a future leader of the party.

is_that_so wrote:
    Whatever guff shows up as FF government policy I would expect Lenihan to do his best to carry it out. IMO, a very able individual, hard-working and a much better performer than many ministers of the last government. He always comes across as reasonable , well-briefed and perfectly capable of getting things done.
    I am not surprised he got a big job. I imagine he'll have a more conciliatory approach to things than McD. It'll be interesting to see how he works out.

I can kind of agree with this. He was wheeled out on Prime Time a lot during the election campaign while much more experienced but at the same time vote nuking ministers like DICK Roche and the Minister for Long Queues and the M50 car Park, Martin Cullen were obviously kept off the airwaves for the whole campaign.

Brian Lenihan seems very capable, I can't think of anyone else who would be better equipped for the job in terms of his obvious commitment to serving the public. He comes across as a hard worker and a logical thinker.

My issue with him being a barrister is that he is unlikely to do anything revolutionary in the job. Crime might go up or down by a few percentage points over the lifetime of the government, maybe a few more Road Traffic Offences to worry about, but will you see an end to anti-social behaviour in the community, very unlikely says me, will you see an end to gangland crime, even more unlikely says me.

• Advertisement

Looks like I might have seriously misjudged the man!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0615/justice.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Er, wouldn't he have to be elected first? That could be the first problem.
    Nope, you don't have to be a member of the Dail to be in the cabinet. You just can't vote on your own legislation... So normally they're members of the Dail, but they need not be.

Reasonably no cabinet really has experts. Politicians nowadays are professional politicians, so they don't really have the time to practice their old habits and bring these skills to the table in any meaningful way. Their jobs are political appointments and their expertise, if they have any, is management.

Judt wrote:
    Nope, you don't have to be a member of the Dail to be in the cabinet. You just can't vote on your own legislation... So normally they're members of the Dail, but they need not be.

Reasonably no cabinet really has experts. Politicians nowadays are professional politicians, so they don't really have the time to practice their old habits and bring these skills to the table in any meaningful way. Their jobs are political appointments and their expertise, if they have any, is management.

Now you've poked me in the eye judt! What on earth qualifies a politician as an expert in management??? This is an affront to anyone who has earned a management qualification. They may end up in managerial positions, but the vast majority of them know absolutely nothing about management, hance maybe why so many of them are so ineffective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It will be interesting to see if the new court house and services which are meant to be going into Blanchardstown village will be delayed or not as there are those who don't want it there.
    How much lobbying pull will the castleknock clique have with the new minister.

Advertisement