Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech - PLEASE HELP!!

Options
  • 14-06-2007 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Ok looking over a few questions on mining and pretty screwed for the (b) and (c) parts. Is there any trend in these questions like what methods to employ...etc?

An example is 2004 PII Q5

'Another skew borehole at B is drilled in a westerly direction on plan and has a true inclination of 45 degrees to the stratum.

Have a rough sketch of this where I
    1/ Got any point west of B on plan then
    2/ (i think) brough this point up to the headwall on the vein thickness view
    then i made some triangle but not sure how.

Greatly appreciate any times on mining (except if it involves examinations.ie which does everything different to how we did it in class!)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MinnieS

OR would I be better leaving this question and concentrating on something else (like q2). I'm planning on doing Q1,6 and 7 so its between 2 and 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

Mining is similar to Q1 in the way that they throw in a tricky part to get people to think more. For the part mentioned above, get an edge view of the stratum with the point B and do a 45 degree cone to the stratum. Then jix it about to plan and find the westerly one.
    Sometimes the mining trick part can be nice, but 2 years ago in the examiners report they said they were going tot ry and make Tech less of a rote learning subject and that showed in last years unique mining trick part. I would assume they will have a repeat of a strike problem like last year so try and get info on the strike and what it is as a lot of students simply learn how to obtain it and don't actually know its properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

There seems to be a stigma associated with Q2 for whatever reason - it is imo the easiest question on PII and I think everyone should do it. Boreholes are nasty and last years was very unusual. TBH I really dislike PII altogether, so crap compared to PI which I actually enjoy doing.

As for Feddd's answer, how I would have done it is:
    1. In the first auxiliary view of the vein (ie where you determine thickness, inclination) do the cone like you said.
    2. Determine the true length of the part of the borehole that is between the upper stratum and the point A/B.
    3. Project an auxiliary of the new bore hole (ie the west bound one) and using the true length from part 2, compass in the upper part of the bore hole. Then you can get the point where this new bore hole penetrates the upper stratum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The mining geometry is a good way to pick up around 40 marks for the part a) alone, the B's and C's are usually about 5 marks each, well i'm crap at doing those b's and c's so i'd just do it as far as a) and try your best to figure somethin out for the other bits but they're not worth that much at all really

Advertisement