Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where has DICK Roche gone???

Options
  • 14-06-2007 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear where this insufferable fu*khound has been moved to???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭leche solara

He's gone back to Minister for State for Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Does that mean we'll be seeing a lot less of him???

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

Dunno, but the water will be safe to drink again! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thought I heard on RTE Radio that the N3 Contract was signed before he left office. Maybe the Greens wanted it done before they joined Govt.?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Seanies32 wrote:
    Thought I heard on RTE Radio that the N3 Contract was signed before he left office. Maybe the Greens wanted it done before they joined Govt.?

Talk about screwing or maybe bailing out your sucessor.
    He signed the go ahead for the N3 to go through a major archaelogical site.
    They have decided to record it for posterity. We will be able to look at pictures of it in the future.
    The question is, was it done to prevent the greens from having to forget another one of their promises?

Only thing that could have beat that was if outgoing minister of energy had signed a deal, the day before he left office, to build a nuclear power station.

Now lets see what Gormerly does for Galway's water supply.
    A friend form Galway went on holidays to Greece this year, stating he was already used to not drinking the water.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Seanies32 wrote:

Yes, his last act was to take a metaphorical **** in John Gormleys seat at the cabinet table. No best wishes card, no flowers, just a big stinking turd. What a nice man.

Although on mature reflection, at least the Greens can blame their predecessor. Maybe that was the plan after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

jmayo wrote:
    you mean that circle off post holes that looks like an animal pen ?

you mean that circle off post holes that looks like an animal pen ?

Clearly its a major site. One need only look at the millions of Irish people who make the pilgrimage to it, and indeed Tara, every year to realise this. If it wasn't for the huge interest we have all shown to Tara down through the years, one could argue that it's just being used as yet another reason to make a song and dance about Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

He's on Tom McGuirk's radio show at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

jmayo wrote:
    Talk about screwing or maybe bailing out your sucessor.
    They have decided to record it for posterity. We will be able to look at pictures of it in the future.
    The question is, was it done to prevent the greens from having to forget another one of their promises?

Only thing that could have beat that was if outgoing minister of energy had signed a deal, the day before he left office, to build a nuclear power station.

Now lets see what Gormerly does for Galway's water supply.
    A friend form Galway went on holidays to Greece this year, stating he was already used to not drinking the water.

Like Carrickmines Castle, it isn't really a major archeological site, and is just being used by people of a certain ilk to protest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Apparently Roche was able to sign that into place without consent of cabinet, so it's a handy enough way around it for fianna Fail. They send him off to be minister of State for Europe , get him to sign this in so they can't be blamed (i.e. they can say he did it without a debate at cabinet).

funktastic wrote:
    get him to sign this in so they can't be blamed (i.e. they can say he did it without a debate at cabinet).

But hate to state the screamingly obvious, but there WAS no debate at cabinet. Its not just FF 'saying' it. And frankly if cabinet debated the route for individual roadways, and the importance and relative merits of individual archeological sites, it would be a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

He did it on the advise of the Director of the National Museum. Relax hippies.

funktastic wrote:
    Apparently Roche was able to sign that into place without consent of cabinet, so it's a handy enough way around it for fianna Fail. They send him off to be minister of State for Europe , get him to sign this in so they can't be blamed (i.e. they can say he did it without a debate at cabinet).

And for the Greens. They knew it was going to be built anyway. Why where they protesting outside the Green party meeting about them giving in on it?

Bloody conspiracy theories.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Let's hope he digs a trench and stays in it. A complete and utterly arrogant gob****e IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Let's hope he digs a trench and stays in it. A complete and utterly arrogant gob****e IMO.

Have you ever met the man? If you had I doubt you would say such a rude and incorrect statement, he topped the poll in Wicklow btw, works very hard in his constituency and is respected by his colleagues and internationally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

skearon wrote:
    Have you ever met the man? If you had I doubt you would say such a rude and incorrect statement, he topped the poll in Wicklow btw, works very hard in his constituency and is respected by his colleagues and internationally
    So was Charles Haughey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

skearon wrote:

I don't think anyone is questioning the amount of work he did in his own constituency, but as a minister in Cabinet, he had a responsibility for the other 41 constituencies too.

personally won't be losing any sleep now that he is gone, we might get our boundary extension now.

skearon wrote:
    In fairness he does work hard in his constuency and he was thanked yet again with a large vote.

People who post here in large part are those with a point to make.Many are activists like yourself or idealists who expect their own desire for change to be equally matched by everyone else in the country.
    Unfortunately in some other cases they come on here and post vitriol first and sensible comment afterwards.
    Some regretably don't bother with the sensible comment part.

Essentially all of us (on boards) are a cohort of a much bigger society.We are the cohort that post regularally on message boards but we're not terribly representative of the bigger society-just look at the poll.
    Going on it Labour and FG would have had 100 seats.
    Labour actually lost one and FG creditable though their performance was actually failed to regain all the seats they lost in 02.
    That in my opinion would be a failure but is being spun as a victory of sorts-Especially given that they *should* have capitalised on the supposed anti FF sentiment - a sentiment going on the likes of Cowan and O' Dea's huge votes was not really there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

It is funny to see him slowly disappear from public life. He was one of the FF2 that FG wanted to see more of in the election campaign. Good riddance to him he did a crap job. What type of environment minister wants to build more incinerators, answer, a poor one. He should be punished by being given drinking water from Galway. Some clypto speridium (probably poor spelling) would do him the world of good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

skearon wrote:

:eek: :rolleyes:

He called to my door twice during the campaign. Both times he dodged all of our questions about getting more bins in Greystones, teenagers having nothing to do and buses coming hours late.

It's not very difficult to top the polls in Wicklow. All you have to do is join Fianna Fáil. I don't even know who Joe Behan is but he got elected.

jb
    all those things are council issues.
    Guess who runs Wicklow co co?
    Yes thats right-FG and Labour...

By the way I'd never heard of Andrew Doyle either.

Tristrame wrote:
    Guess who runs Wicklow co co?
    Yes thats right-FG and Labour...

And the council get their funding from... oh I get it now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

skearon wrote:

So did Martin Cullen :rolleyes:

jb91 wrote:
    And the council get their funding from... oh I get it now :rolleyes:
    Apparently and with respect, you actually don't get it at all to be honest
    But seriously the questions you asked him about have nothing to do with local funding...
    The bin service is paid for locally via your charges.In most if not all of wicklow it's done by private companies..
    The bus'es are run by Dublin bus and it's the job of the local council to talk to them if there are issues.
    It's nothing to do with local government funding.
    They have a transport comittee don't you know.

As for drop in centres for young people-again thats a local council issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Good riddance to him he did a crap job. What type of environment minister wants to build more incinerators, answer, a poor one.

Or maybe one that wants to keep the factories open. Consumers and industry here produce millions of tonnes of waste each year, much of it is unsuitable for landfilling or recycling, the EU are supposed to be bringing in rules that say that waste has to be dealt with, where it is produced, which means it can't be exported. So what solution should the enviroment minister take ? You can't just leave it in tankers somewhere, so what do you do ?

The two obvious solutions seem to be incinerate it and be made public enemy number one OR prohibit the production of such waste, presumably by closing any factory that produces it(though what that will mean for the chemical, pharmaceutical and electronic industries is open to debate) and be made public enemy number one.

If such waste is a necessary byproduct of our factories, what do we do ?

Its a similar argument to that on nuclear power; oil and gas produce most of electricity now, both are going to get much much more expensive in coming years, we can't keep the lights on with windmills alone, the other options such as wave and tidal power are years away and may not be available on the scale we need. So what power source is there that is proven, could be on stream in 10-15 years and can produce enough power consistently ? Any energy/enviroment minister or government that rules out nuclear is playing politics, the people might not like it, but it may be the only option in the medium term.

Its ironic that the government is making provision for pension payments in 2025, but their energy policy for even ten years time is full of aspirations rather than solid plans. They might want 20% of electricity to come from renewable sources by 2020, but what about the other 80%(will we still be able to afford to use oil/gas to generate electricity then ?)

Having said all this I'm not a Roche supporter and am glad to see him put where hopefully he'll do less harm. Hopefully his successor will actually make a few decisions and not just spend 5 years running away from controversy and avoiding the real issues.

Tristrame wrote:
    Apparently and with respect, you actually don't get it at all to be honest
    But seriously the questions you asked him about have nothing to do with local funding...
    The bin service is paid for locally via your charges.In most if not all of wicklow it's done by private companies..
    The bus'es are run by Dublin bus and it's the job of the local council to talk to them if there are issues.
    It's nothing to do with local government funding.
    They have a transport comittee don't you know.

As for drop in centres for young people-again thats a local council issue.

Well the local TD (and Minister for the ENVIRONMENT, Heritage and LOCAL GOVERNMENT) should have told me that rather than dodging it :rolleyes:

heyjude wrote:
    Or maybe one that wants to keep the factories open. Consumers and industry here produce millions of tonnes of waste each year, much of it is unsuitable for landfilling or recycling, the EU are supposed to be bringing in rules that say that waste has to be dealt with, where it is produced, which means it can't be exported. So what solution should the enviroment minister take ? You can't just leave it in tankers somewhere, so what do you do ?

The two obvious solutions seem to be incinerate it and be made public enemy number one OR prohibit the production of such waste, presumably by closing any factory that produces it(though what that will mean for the chemical, pharmaceutical and electronic industries is open to debate) and be made public enemy number one.

If such waste is a necessary byproduct of our factories, what do we do ?

Its a similar argument to that on nuclear power; oil and gas produce most of electricity now, both are going to get much much more expensive in coming years, we can't keep the lights on with windmills alone, the other options such as wave and tidal power are years away and may not be available on the scale we need. So what power source is there that is proven, could be on stream in 10-15 years and can produce enough power consistently ? Any energy/enviroment minister or government that rules out nuclear is playing politics, the people might not like it, but it may be the only option in the medium term.

Its ironic that the government is making provision for pension payments in 2025, but their energy policy for even ten years time is full of aspirations rather than solid plans. They might want 20% of electricity to come from renewable sources by 2020, but what about the other 80%(will we still be able to afford to use oil/gas to generate electricity then ?)

Having said all this I'm not a Roche supporter and am glad to see him put where hopefully he'll do less harm. Hopefully his successor will actually make a few decisions and not just spend 5 years running away from controversy and avoiding the real issues.

Very good realistic post. A lot of this no incinerator debate comes from Not In My Back Yard protestors while ignoring the national problem that is waste. Maybe a Green minister can come up with an Irish solution to an Irish problem here. I don't particularly want incinerators or God forbid Nuclear, but what are the alternatives in the next 5/10 years.

jb91 wrote:
    Well the local TD (and Minister for the ENVIRONMENT, Heritage and LOCAL GOVERNMENT) should have told me that rather than dodging it :rolleyes:
    He didn't have to tell me...
    Your third use of the rolly eyed smiley instead of debate by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

Seanies32 wrote:
    Very good realistic post. A lot of this no incinerator debate comes from Not In My Back Yard protestors while ignoring the national problem that is waste. Maybe a Green minister can come up with an Irish solution to an Irish problem here. I don't particularly want incinerators or God forbid Nuclear, but what are the alternatives in the next 5/10 years.

True Seanies32, but speaking as someone who lives near to a proposed incinerator, it is galling to know that an incinerator was never going to be put in Wicklow or South County Dublin...

Advertisement