Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Interesting Engine Conversion...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's pathetic tbh. A Calibra with the old Isuzu diesel lump in it. Blasphemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The car is the 2 Litre Turbo 16v 4x4 top of the range model, but this one has a difference.

It now produces clouds of black smoke, doesn't accelerate and it's 2WD only.

In short it drives like shyte and I butchered it completely ...but if I put it up on ebay long enough singing its praises for being "economical" ...some cheapskate dipstick will probably buy it anyway.

What's next ...a 911 with a Jetta 1.6 Diesel ? A true farmers Porsche?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote:
    What's next ...a 911 with a Jetta 1.6 Diesel ? A true farmers Porsche?

Perhaps for German farmers? All Irish farmers are millionairs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oh dear God, what was the point in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

What a waste.... of a great engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

I saw a Ford Capri MkIII for sale a few years ago with a Mondeo 1.8TD engine. Not a bad conversion tbh, and surely livelier than the 1.6 Pinto.

I think the Calibra isn't the worst conversion either. It is less butchered than a lot of the Calibras left on the roads now, and I presume it wouldn't be all that difficult to revert it to normal once it can get classic insurance/tax. I sort of like it tbh.

The worst conversion goes to these sick souls who put Nissan Patrol engines into ~1990 S Class mercs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

TBH I'd suspect that the original engine was probably ****ed and there wasn't much of a selection of replacement engines so they went with the TD. I doubt anyone went to the trouble of removing a good engine to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That completely and utterly sucks as an engine conversion. Why wouold someone do that to that car???????? I have the image in my head of being behind that Cailbra driving and staying behind it cause I see the 4 exhausts and expecting it to let rip and hear a nice loud growl from it and then being glad I did stay back cause its so slow and leaves out plently of diesel clatter and fumes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

This is a very nice conversion, I know that 90% here will probably not agree ;)
    http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8296&hl=corrado+tdi

Professionaly done, not a quick budget butcher job. A lot of thought and research went into it. A very tuneable engine with a lot of potential for getting more bhp out of it, ie: engine remap, bigger injectors etc. Power and good mpg :D

Like I said this car would have a limited market, not everybody would appreciate it. I had a Corrado 1.8 16v and if I had the money and could hide this somewhere from the missus :o , I would love to have it or do a similar conversion myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm a big fan of diesel engines, but certain cars absolutely MUST have the original petrol engine in them ...anything else is a joke.

Top of the list for those "certain" cars would be:

The Calibra turbo 4x4
    The Corrado G60

closely followed by the likes of:
    Mark I Golf GTI
    Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI
    "classic" Saab 900 turbo
    Mercedes S 500

It's the engine that "makes" those cars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I too am a fan of diesel's, however, like Peasant said, some cars have to have a petrol engine. An example of this would be all classic American muscle cars.

Putting Nissan diesel engines into Jaguar XJ6's was a big thing back in the 80's and 90's apparently.

Their is a video on YouTube somewhere of some person in Japan who put a Lexus 6-cylinder engine into a Mercedes 500E. :mad: A car like that deserves a V8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

tbh it would have been worse if they'd used the opel 1.7td engine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I once owned a mkII Scirocco storm edition with a bog standard 1.6litre VAG diesel installed, I will admit that it wsn't the fastest conversion but it got incredible fuel economy, I guess the low Cd of the Scirocco made it easy to push.
    Very comfortable car with leather seats and all the extras, I sold it to a guy who wanted the interior for a beetle!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

If it had a perkins fitted, I might consider! :D

Advertisement