Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling milsurp collectors..

Options
  • 14-06-2007 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

For all you budding milsurp collectors, check this out. Drool.....
    www.ssd-weapon.com

Actually, from reading back the threads there seems to be a few of us, we should try to organise something, love to meet like minded..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Yes, Dittrich system is very well known. Quite expensive though.

As for organising a militaria collecting group why not have a look if there is an interest in a subforum? I would recommend it to be private to members though as some of the material that may be shown could be extremely valuable.

Anyway, I would be all for it. I collect German WWII militaria and to a lesser extend WWI. I started by researching my own family's history and what branches of military/political organisations they were members of during WWII. Quite interesting, from Kriegsmarine to Artillery and Police, etc.

Best,
    Preusse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Second it as an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

I had been thinking along the lines of milsurp firearms only (as thats all I have) but gotta say I would be well interested in the other collectables as well.
    Anyone know how to go about doing a private forum thingy?
    BTY off on hols for 2 weeks today so wont contribute much for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

I support it:D

Hi,

I would include medals, decorations and possibly paper items (documents etc) as well as it could attract a wider selection of collectors. Alos remember: some collectors may come across something that would be perfect in your collection but doesn't really fit in with their own collection. ;)

I would suggest militaria collecting for all time periods and world wide.

I myself collect medals, decorations, paper items, and equipment as well as firearms of German WWII origin so I would be quite happy to show some of the material in a private forum. Also, the forum could be of help to distinguish between original items and fakes! A very important subject in collecting. If I want a K98, for example, I want one with all matching numbers and no Russian capture or Yugslavian used Mauser etc.

As for getting a forum for collectors of militaria you can propose it in "Forums" which I am quite happy to do, but we may have to link it as a subforum to "Collectibles & Antiques".

Best,
    Preusse

EDIT: Forum porposed: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53432447#post53432447

Please have a look and if you are interested give your support by writing into that thread ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Sounds good guys. As I mentioned in the 'forums' thread, perhaps making the forum private would block outsider knowledge, or people with opinions/interest.

In saying that I would love to see a private, wholey dedicated militaria forum, Collectables and Antiques is just dead.......really, I've tried to keep the forum alive with a few topics but no one visits!

Sounds good guys. As I mentioned in the 'forums' thread, perhaps making the forum private would block outsider knowledge, or people with opinions/interest.

In saying that I would love to see a private, wholey dedicated militaria forum, Collectables and Antiques is just dead.......really, I've tried to keep the forum alive with a few topics but no one visits!

Hi there,

yes, I agree, "outsiders" could have very good knowledge useful to us as collectors. I am just worried about putting up pictures of rare and valuable items and thereby advertising the fact as to what you have in your home to potential "people with interests". For the last couple of years some valuable militaria collections in German have been targets of professional burglars, just stealing the collection and nothing else, sometimes just the most valuable items within a collection. It is quite certain that some of these burglaries are contract burglaries by some rogue collectors. Some militaria dealers have recently been victims to thieves at a militaria exhibition in Germany.

Maybe some kind of semi-private forum on militaria collecting with strict regulations and "members only" visible images?

Best,
    Preusse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Other way,would be to any prospective members must provide a viable street address and phone no[landline] for any sales.

I can see how collectors are hit.You have to trade,so it is a necessary evil that you have to give contact info or invite people to your shop/home.
    This isnt easy stuff to flog to the black market,and anyone selling to others will be known.Plus if stuff is reported nicked to all collectors,there is a good chance of it being recoverd.

This isnt easy stuff to flog to the black market,and anyone selling to others will be known.Plus if stuff is reported nicked to all collectors,there is a good chance of it being recoverd.

This is true, stolen material is very often reported and shown on larger militaria collecting fora.

Here is a reminder to all interested militaria collectors for a "Militaria Collecting Forum". If you are interested in such a forum please register your interest here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055107827

Thanks!

Best,
    Preusse ;)

• Advertisement

Update: We got the militaria collecting forum running:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1003

Thanks to all who supported the creation of the forum!

Best,

Preusse

Advertisement